Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its friday... what game do I buy??

• 25-04-2008 4:29pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have most of the mega-must-have games (OB, ME, Burnout etc).

I'm looking for something roleplayie or strategic. The only thing I'm not looking for is another god damn FP-shooter!

So are any of the games out in the last few weeks worth picking up? I have 70 quid in my pocket burning a hole...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

lost odyssey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

heard thats decent yeah, cant wait for gta?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Xyo wrote: »
    lost odyssey
    I was hoping someone would say that... I saw it yesterday and was going to buy it but hadn't see any fan reviews of it (the only things I believe and even then only in bulk!)

So its worth it? whats it like?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

DeVore wrote: »
    I was hoping someone would say that... I saw it yesterday and was going to buy it but hadn't see any fan reviews of it (the only things I believe and even then only in bulk!)

So its worth it? whats it like?

DeV.

Do you like turn based role playing games ala Final Fantasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah it's basically Final Fantasy. Random battles, turn based.

Pretty damn good game with a good storyline and strong characters and quite long to(4 discs!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Wait till Tuesday and get GTA IV I reckon

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

GTA never really floated my boat (an opinion I keep firmly to myself here!).

Unfortunately FF's "random encounters" also p*ssed me off and I found the combat repetitive and often so one sided in my favour as to make me feel like a bully :)

Whats the gameplay like in Lost Odessey is it a total FF clone? any RPG elements like leveling characters?

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    GTA never really floated my boat (an opinion I keep firmly to myself here!).

Unfortunately FF's "random encounters" also p*ssed me off and I found the combat repetitive and often so one sided in my favour as to make me feel like a bully :)

Whats the gameplay like in Lost Odessey is it a total FF clone? any RPG elements like leveling characters?

DeV.

Yep total clone. Level up your characters, buy weapons, get potions, fight in a party of 3 usually taking turns, with health HP and Magic MP etc

It's made by the guy who originally made FF I believe.

Doesn't really sound like your thing then
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Fifa 08?? PGR4? Forza 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mass Effect! I don't normally like RPG style games but after 20 hours of playing (still plenty of gameplay to go) I'm completely hooked. Definitely worth considering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

If you want something different you could try A Train HX. Saw it in a Game somewhere, I think, it's also on Play for 25 euro at the moment. I am being serious, as those who are actually able to get into it, and don't care about the poor graphics, give it high praise as an addictive strategic City sim. Other hurdles include no tutorial, no in depth manual, and confusing menus. Yeah, not my cup of tea, but I don't really like ME or Oblivion, so there's obviously something wrong with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Lost Odyssey

It's basically FF but perfectly honed to...er...perfection.
    Plus its only 45 quid in GAME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Another vote for Lost Odyssey
    I've never been a fan of FF type games (unless you count Pokémon), but this dragged me in from the very start.
    Definitely get it if you have the time to put into it (30-40 hours)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Mah vote goes to Lost Odyssey too. If random battles annoy you that's ok. I find them quite infrequent compared to other rpgs. In fact a few times I've been running around for ages trying to get into one so my characters would max out their level in the zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm enjoying Bully right now..

.. and GTA V.

basquille wrote: »

.. and GTA V.

Are you playing it on the Xbox 720?:pac:

No, the XBox 3642.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

basquille wrote: »

.. and GTA V.

Bully, I found it a bit too GTA esque for my liking. I didn't think it was very original. Wonder was it because I didn't play it for too long?

BTW, is there any difference in the original one and the scholarship edition, or is it the same difference between vice city and liberty city stories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Bully, I found it a bit too GTA esque for my liking. I didn't think it was very original. Wonder was it because I didn't play it for too long?

BTW, is there any difference in the original one and the scholarship edition, or is it the same difference between vice city and liberty city stories?

ive read its just a few extra different types of class and a few new missions, nothing radically new from the original ps2 game.

Bully, I found it a bit too GTA esque for my liking. I didn't think it was very original.
    It more or less is a toned down version of GTA (it was made by the GTA creators, Rockstar).. but plenty of witty dialogue in there and a very well made game.
    Wonder was it because I didn't play it for too long?
    Funny you mention that because every review of the game I read said something along the lines of "you'd be tempted to give up on Bully in it's early stages.. as running around to your destinations while other students randomly come up and start fights with you can be distracting.. but don't give up on it too easily."

It really is a fun little game..

• Advertisement

I went for Lost Odyssey in the end and I like it so far. I still dislike the random fights but they do seem less often in this. (who the hell thought that just dropping in low level creatures every now and then was good game-play?! Its just a chore as they couldnt possibly defeat even my poor group and we've only just set out!)

The game sure tosses you in fast enough and I like the ring system (very Shadow Heartsesque). the graphics and the story are great through and I'm happy enough with it. Unfortunately the dreams are a BIG let down... "Hey, why dont we do a gorgeous cut sequence of a dream??" "No, lets jst copy and paste the text the writers gave us straight into powerpoint and incorporate that." I'm not kidding, thats what it looks like they did... for about 15 slides a dream and I've had about 4 dreams in one session of playing!!

So far through I aint clamouring for my money back. (I've got as far as the first big boss on the cliff, after the rainstorm, for those of you who are playing it).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I loved the first dream sequence (the Innkeeper's daughter), but soon found myself tiring of them after that. I skipped quite a few of them, then decided to sit through one of Seth's dreams later on in the game. I would've missed a meaty chunk of back story if I'd skipped through that one, but read back over the other ones after that and didn't seem to have missed much...

I'd definitely recommend memorising the elements chart from the manual, it should make that boss battle a piece of piss...

Advertisement