Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Day Cancelled / Mumps Outbreak

• 25-04-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Just crossposting this from Mikado..

BreakingNews.ie also have it covered here

So, I just read that University Day is cancelled as there has been several cases of mumps in the college this week.
    University Day 2008-CANCELLED

There have been cases of mumps reported at NUI Maynooth in the last few days and in the
    interest of public safety we have taken the decision to cancel University Day, which was due to take
    place tomorrow, Saturday 26th April.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience.
    Mumps Notice
    HSE Letter wrote:
    22nd April 2008

Dear Student,

There have been several cases of mumps in your college and you may have been exposed. If you have either had mumps or have received two doses of the MMR vaccine, the chance of developing mumps is extremely low. If, however, you have not had mumps and have not received two doses of the MMR vaccine, then it is quite possible that you might get mumps.

What is Mumps?

Mumps is a viral infection. Symptoms include fever, headache, and swelling of cheek and jaw. Meningitis (inflammation of the covering of the brain) can occur but usually resolves without problems. More rarely encephalitis (inflammation of the brain itself) and deafness can occur. In adolescent and adult males mumps can cause inflammation of the testicles (orchitis), but, contrary to popular belief it is not a frequent cause of infertility. People are infectious for up to 7 days before the cheek swelling appears and remain infectious for 9 days after symptoms develop.

What should I do now?

If you have either received two doses of the MMR vaccine or have had mumps there is no need for concern. If you have not received two doses of the MMR vaccine and have not had mumps, then you should attend the college medical centre or your family doctor for vaccination. The vaccine will not protect you if you have been exposed this time, but it will protect you from future exposures.

What should I do if I think I have mumps?

If you develop swelling of the cheeks and jaw line attend your doctor for examination. He/she will be able to tell you if it looks like mumps and will advise you what to do. There is no specific treatment for mumps.

Can I attend college?

To prevent spread of mumps to others, you must stay at home for 9 days after the symptoms develop.

How can I stop mumps spreading in the family?

If you have not received two doses of MMR vaccine please go to your family doctor for vaccination.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at 01-6426910.

HSE Mumps Factsheet
    Mumps

Mumps is an acute viral illness that causes fever, headache and usually painful swollen salivary glands, most commonly the parotid gland. Mumps often gives an appearance of swollen cheeks or jaws. Sometimes infection presents with other symptoms (such as meningitis, orchitis etc.)
    The mumps virus is spread from person to person by coughs and sneezes. It can also be transmitted through kissing and other direct contact with saliva.

Complications:

Mumps infection after puberty may also cause painful inflammation of the
    o Testicles (called orchitis). Sterility after mumps occurs very rarely.
    o Ovaries (oophoritis) or inflammation of the breast tissue (mastitis).

Mumps may also rarely cause encephalitis, pancreatitis, arthritis, or inflammation of the kidneys. Deafness occurs in approximately 1 in 20,000 cases

Prevention

Mumps can be prevented by immunisation with the MMR vaccine. This vaccine protects against three viral diseases- Measles, Mumps and Rubella. MMR is routinely used in the childhood immunisation programme. Students in colleges should contact their student health services for information about MMR vaccination

MMR vaccination

If you are between the ages of 16 – 24 years of age you probably only got one dose of MMR when you were in school. It is also possible that you never got any MMR vaccine*. Two doses of MMR are usually recommended to protect against mumps.

Entrants to college who are less than 25 years of age - new entrants to colleges for the academic year 2008/2009 should check their MMR vaccination status before entering college. If they have not received two doses of MMR they should contact their GP and receive another dose of MMR. Students unsure of vaccination status should receive at least one dose of MMR.

Mumps case contacts

Anyone who shares accommodation or has been in close contact with someone who has mumps should speak with their GP – vaccination may be recommended.

MMR and Pregnancy

MMR is not recommended in pregnant women. Women should avoid pregnancy for two months after vaccination. If you think you may be pregnant, speak with your doctor or student health service before getting the MMR.

Interval between MMR doses

An interval of at least one month is recommended between the first and second dose of MMR.

MMR use in Ireland

The MMR vaccine was first introduced into Ireland in 1988 for all children. Since then it has been offered to all children between 12-15 months of age. A second dose was introduced for school children, at 11-12 years of age in 1992. In 1999, the age for the second MMR dose was dropped to 4-5 years of age. This means that some teenagers and young adults who are 16 years of age and older only got one dose of MMR, or never got any dose (if they missed it when it was provided in school or by their GP). If you are not sure if you ever had MMR you should get one dose now and have another dose at least 1 month later.

International vaccine schedules can be checked on: http://www.who.int/vaccines/globalsummary/immunization/ScheduleSelect.cfm

For further information on immunisations visit http://www.immunisations.ie click on “Leaflet translations” to view information leaflet on the MMR vaccine translated into several languages. For further information on mumps visit the HPSC website http://www.hpsc.ie

Free MMR Vaccine
    I refer to the message that Ian Russell sent out last Tuesday in regard to the outbreak of mumps on campus. All students should try ascertain their immunisation status - did you have the MMR vaccine and did you get a booster. You can check this with your family doctor. The University Doctor, Dr Dennis Gaffney is providing the vaccine to all student who require it on a walk in basis in his surgery in the Glenroyal Centre and this is free of charge.

Dr Gaffney will be in the restaurant lobby on the North Campus on Monday and Tuesday next between 1pm and 2pm and the vaccine will be available at this time - free of charge.

Brendan Ashe
    Health & Safety Officer

Friday 25th April 2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

was all set to bring the girlfriend to this tomorrow!! An outbreak of mumps?? thats pretty serious to happen in a college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's a pretty serious thing to happen in a closed environment such as a College but it's not entirely unheard of. In a few years it might be less of an issue because of the immunisation drive in the late 80's and early 90's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Some people will do anything to get off exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Relatively serious, yes, but it also happened here a few years ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

I was diagnosed with it on Wednesday and I went to the medical centre and they took one look at me and said "Oh its another one"!!!!!!

It's not that bad! Just makes you face really puffy and is quite painful (fine with some panadol!) The bad thing is you can be at risk of spreading it without even knowing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Ah Maynooth, random outbreaks of viruses spread by loose students and poisoned russians, how I miss it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Stupid question but I would have thought that the majority of college age students would have their MMR vaccination?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

MMR + 2 boosters - most people only got the one injection.

Some college students would have been born in the early to mid eighties and before it (i.e. Before the massive immunisation drive) so there's still a significant number of people without the MMR. Even in a few years there'll be outbreaks because of people not getting the MMR (parents probably worried about the Autism "link").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

MMR + 2 boosters - most people only got the one injection.

Some college students would have been born in the early to mid eighties and before it (i.e. Before the massive immunisation drive) so there's still a significant number of people without the MMR. Even in a few years there'll be outbreaks because of people not getting the MMR (parents probably worried about the Autism "link").

2 boosters? :confused: I only got the original MMR as a baby and a booster at 11. Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

golden gal wrote: »
    It's not that bad! Just makes you face really puffy and is quite painful (fine with some panadol!) The bad thing is you can be at risk of spreading it without even knowing it.
    obviously someone has never suffered from orchitis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I dont go to Maynooth college, havent even been in the town in over a year, dont know anyone attending it and i still caught the mumps :(
    Some disease ridden student must have coughed or sneezed on\near me on the bus or in Dublin city centre. I was 3 days into the symptoms (unknown to myself) before i went to the doctor last friday. He put the fear into me when he mentioned orchitis. I then put the fear into my office which is 80%+ male.
    Oddily, the doctor said he caught it himself 2 years ago and the incidence of adults catching it is increasing.

Luckily no orchitis and no one else at work seems to have caught it. Quarantined at home all this week. Worst part is the constant dry mouth. Could be worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

The stuff I spat out from my mouth in the mornings should not be

Lucky bastard re orchitis. At least I have gta this week to keep me company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Sounds like I am on work experience at the right time, although I have to go to Maynooth Saturday, hopefully i wont come back disease ridden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i seem to have managed to escape it, althoguh i havent been on campus in a while. So whats the count on it now? I hear >30 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Apparently if it reaches 50 cases the college will have to close for the summer. Just thought i'd provide a ray of hope for all of you who, like me, have an impossible amount of work to do before the term ends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

coxy14 wrote: »
    Apparently if it reaches 50 cases the college will have to close for the summer. Just thought i'd provide a ray of hope for all of you who, like me, have an impossible amount of work to do before the term ends!

What, no exams then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

The guy wrote: »
    What, no exams then?

Please, i said ray of hope not ball of it!! Exams would probably be held in august along with the repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

That would suck... I want to get my exams over with and get out of here :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's in Limerick too and in our Secondary school here in Galway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

University Day is back on. 28th June. We be Mump-free or at least within acceptable Mump limits. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

merritt wrote: »
    University Day is back on. 28th June. We be Mump-free or at least within acceptable Mump limits. :D

The last day before people can fill out their CAOs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

Down to the wire, baby!

Well, it does also serve as a way for people who have already decided to come to meet staff and ask questions. The phone in the Access Office has been hopping since the cancellation of the first one, all wanting to know if they can come in and talk.

So now they can all just come along on the 28th!

Advertisement