Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post grad course require honours degree

Options
  • 25-04-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hi all
    hope some one can help me out here...i am hoping to change my career, after much thought and research to the area of occupational therapy or life sciences. This incorporates anatomy and psychology which are both areas that interest me.
    I'd be looking to do a post graduate conversion course.
    There is one in UL but as with most post grad courses, an honours degree is required...
    I have a pass degree and have a pass post grad course, just missed out on honours.

Apparently gaining an honours in a grad dip conversion course transforms a pass degree into an honours one...so basically am wondering if there is a part time post grad conversion course available in a general field (eg: arts) that could be handy enough to get honour in..
    So if anyone have any idea as to what I should or could try, all opinions or advice appreciated?
    Or anyone else in the same boat? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

You do not necessarily need an honours degree to enter into postgraduate study. If you have a pass degree and your potential supervisor considers you suitable, you can enter into a Masters Qualifier. This is what they do in my university (DCU) and it may be similar in others. A masters qualifier can consist of a literature review, conducting a small project, taking courses related to your field and doing exams. The exact elements of the qualifier are decided by the supervisor and the department and the qualifier usually lasts a year. Your supervisor will discuss your progress with the department and they all decide weather your are suitable to continue your studies. You have to prove to them that you have what it takes to be a researcher.
    Also, do you have experience in these areas you wish to study? This will be very beneficial, if you do. You need to talk to some potential supervisors and convince them that you have what it takes. They may accept you if you have experience in the area, some good references and show them you can work hard.
    Another route is to become a research assistant in a lab, working in your field of interest. This is a great way of gaining experience and if you get on well, you may be able to get a postgraduate research position there.
    As you can see -it's all about proving you can do this! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

elle B wrote: »
    hi all
    hope some one can help me out here...i am hoping to change my career, after much thought and research to the area of occupational therapy or life sciences. This incorporates anatomy and psychology which are both areas that interest me.
    I'd be looking to do a post graduate conversion course.
    There is one in UL but as with most post grad courses, an honours degree is required...
    I have a pass degree and have a pass post grad course, just missed out on honours.

Apparently gaining an honours in a grad dip conversion course transforms a pass degree into an honours one...so basically am wondering if there is a part time post grad conversion course available in a general field (eg: arts) that could be handy enough to get honour in..
    So if anyone have any idea as to what I should or could try, all opinions or advice appreciated?
    Or anyone else in the same boat? :confused:

If you are interested in life sciences, then surely it would be easier for you to get an honour in a course in that area... arts is only an easy option if that's what you're good at!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 elle B

thanks Staph,
    appreciate the reply and it's good positive feedback...
    I went to UL so it's probably run similar to DCU, being a sister university.
    It's given me hope that I needed cos going back fulltime for 4 years would not be an option financially. I will look in to getting work in relative area even if part time voluntary.

cheers :)

Hi Esmereldina

yeh you are right there, it would be easier and make more sense to go back and get honour in the course I want to do, but it would cost a fortune to go back 4 yrs fulltime.
    ..oh to win the lotto...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddythebull

Hey,

Just wondering what you ended up doing as I am in a similar situation in U.L. Just finished with a pass degree and am interested in doing a masters?

• Advertisement

hi paddythebull
    i didn't end up doing anytinhg...well i did start DBS part tiem degree in psychology but due to work commitments \i could not attend most classes and could not continue..it sucked.
    I have gotten a palce on primary teaching course so may go ahead and do taht. I have always had an interest in priamry teaching but never took the leap...considering also that it is so difficult to hold down employment and study it is best to get a post grad course in an area of interest and do it full time.
    let me know how you get on..just don't be like me stuck in an officer type job you hate going in to...
    ..a change is always good...

Advertisement