Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumour Control : Criminal Justice Act

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is it possible that the Govt, got wind of this judgement and the Firearms Misc, Bill may be the tidy up attempt?
    I seriously doubt it - the Misc Bill has been in the works for some time now and made it onto the program for government's to-be-published list quite a while back.
    I (for one) would like to know the financial implications of a case similar to this.
    In what sense?
    knowledge like this would and will give people the power to threaten the Garda with legal action
    I can't stress enough how stupid, short-sighted and self-destructive a course of action that would be. You make this us versus them and we lose in the long term. No contest. And regardless of the inevitable outcome, it's not how it should be. Co-existence is the goal here, not victory. It ain't sexy, but it's the only thing that will work. Remember, taking a militant, we-can-beat-them approach is how we got into trouble with the CJA in the first place. The FCP is the best avenue we have for a situation where the DoJ and Gardai and we are all able to coexist without risking either public safety or our sports.
    and it will help Irish shooters, put to bed once and for all the irregularities that are all too common with firearm legislation within Ireland's Garda stations.
    No, it won't. This was a judicial review, same as a hundred or more before it. It was a favorable judgement, and it will have effects, but it's not going to fix everything overnight. The best shot at ensuring regularity is still the FCP.
    an 'across the board' rise in the 'conditions' (by super) placed in a bid to future proof any licensee against any caliber weapon which a citizen is allowed to own, in other words any citizen might have to have in place any and all of the security requirments required for a .308 when he/she applies for a cert for an airrifle
    That wouldn't stand up in the District Courts. Nor, for that matter, would the Super have that legal authority under the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Sparks.
    Co-existence is what we need but its not going to be achieved without the possibility of threatened action from people like o'leary..because the powers that be are unfair and ill informed...preiod.

Also under current legislation a superintendent can impose any conditions that he wishes on a license holder, so that could mean a monitored alarm for a .22lr or a sb shot gun.....

This judgment will i think set the bar and as such it will shift many of the rubber goal post but I never said that it would totally put to bed all irregularities that exist, did now?
    No i dont think so! I only said it would help in putting irregularities to bed..

Co-existence is what we need but its not going to be achieved without the possibility of threatened action from people like o'leary
    Threats don't work on the Gardai or DoJ. Philosophically, threatening to get coexistence is like fornicating for virginity. Pragmatically, remember the bin tax and the CJA 2006. High court cases won against the government led to new legislation re-establishing and strengthening the position that the government held before the court cases.
    Also under current legislation a superintendent can impose any conditions that he wishes on a license holder, so that could mean a monitored alarm for a .22lr or a sb shot gun
    Indeed. However, that's being addressed through other, less confrontational means.
    This judgment will i think set the bar
    It's a helpful precedent without doubt. It will not, however, change shooting as we know it overnight, and it only acts to bolster what has already been lined up through other, less confrontational means.
    I never said that it would totally put to bed all irregularities that exist, did now?
    Technically, you stongly implied it and I'm not in the mood to split hairs. It wouldn't be very constructive on what's a sensitive issue anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Sparks wrote: »
    Threats don't work on the Gardai or DoJ. Philosophically, threatening to get coexistence is like fornicating for virginity. Pragmatically, remember the bin tax and the CJA 2006. High court cases won against the government led to new legislation re-establishing and strengthening the position that the government held before the court cases.
    Bin tax... yes i remember it well, fair point...

But i dont have the time to split hairs either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

it seems to me that people taking court actions against superintendants
    paved the way for the FCP to come into being, im sure that behind closed doors people in government knew that high court actions were not the best way to solve things. i agree the fcp is the best avenue we have in getting results in a reasoned manner..but i wonder if that invitation would have been sent if everyone sat back and accepted the bad practise that was prevalent and in some places still goes on in the application of firearms licencing..or now it seems "people licencing".

• Advertisement

Fox, I think we're talking here about the difference between being assertive and being antagonistically aggressive. The former is definitely a positive virtue, but the latter was what we saw more of in some areas, and it did nothing for us and a lot against us. It's a line we'd want to be overly aware of, if you follow me.

Fox, I think we're talking here about the difference between being assertive and being antagonistically aggressive. The former is definitely a positive virtue, but the latter was what we saw more of in some areas, and it did nothing for us and a lot against us. It's a line we'd want to be overly aware of, if you follow me.

I agree, but I remember questioning a decision by a firearms officer not to provide me with another licence as i had "too many", on taking my case upwards to the local inspector ,it was the inspector who had adopted the aggresive posture, i was quite prepared to debate my application reasonably and had prepared a written reason of my need and bona fides for the firearm...after a hostile barrage of 10 mins..too which i didnt rise,
    he suddenly stopped and signed my application..i could tell countless stories of fellow shooters going through the same pains to get a licence,
    like the farmer in our club refused a shotgun cert point blank and on contacting his solicitor having the situation reversed immediatley..he now shoots on the irish skeet team. In reality the reason for people having the attitude they do is largley justified, people nowadays are quite prepared to fight their corner when the need arises as the high court cases show.
    The perplexing thing about all this is I have never met or heard about anyone who takes a court action or has to use a solicitor or whatever means not end up with their cert in the end anyway..so I can understand people getting frustrated with the system.

I'm not saying things are perfect fox, but... well, allow me to quote myself if I can be that pretentious, 'cos what I'm trying to say is something I said over a year ago:
    it's important to keep a clear picture. 220,000 licences granted every year. Currently there are 72 cases being taken against the Gardai in relation to the licencing process by the NARGC. Even if those 72 represent the best cases available (say, one out of every ten reported), and even if half of the problems are never reported at all to anyone, that still means that 99.35% of all applications are processed and granted without problems.

Now that's not saying that those cases are unjustified - it's vital that the law is followed in 100% of cases - but 99.35% isn't quite bad enough to make me want to dust off the pitchfork and light the torch, you know?
    It's like airline crashes. Incredibly rare, but hugely reported so that everyone's heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Sparks

The figures you quote are not correct because the vast majority of people that have been unjustly refused firearms certificates have taken no legal action and therefore are not counted.

Sparks, of those 220 000 licences -how many are renewals and how many are 1st applications?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks, of those 220 000 licences -how many are renewals and how many are 1st applications?

Now that IS a good question :pac:

I did say that I was assuming that one in ten reported cases went to court and that only half the cases were reported; but if you want to play with those assumptions, go ahead. You need to set up some pretty ridiculous numbers before you start seeing the majority of applications being problematic.

We tried a thread in here a while back to get everyone to report good and bad experiences with their local super. The good outweighted the bad by the kind of margin the 99% figure would lead you to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I've had 5 previous applications that were refused and I didn't go to Court !

I did say that I was assuming that one in ten reported cases went to court and that only half the cases were reported; but if you want to play with those assumptions, go ahead. You need to set up some pretty ridiculous numbers before you start seeing the majority of applications being problematic.

We tried a thread in here a while back to get everyone to report good and bad experiences with their local super. The good outweighted the bad by the kind of margin the 99% figure would lead you to expect.

yeah , but the good would outweigh the bad in a shooting forum as i would expect the posters are all active shooters, to get a true figure you would need to know the number of new applications in a year-and then be able to quantify the number of people who had their application processed without a hitch versus the number of people who didnt and who were refused , put off, gave up trying etc. I dont know how you would do this.
    The reason my view differs is that I spent some years as secretary of a
    large gun club,and met and dealt with a lot of people who were attempting to get started in shooting, and the number of people who had trouble obtaining permits was higher than your stats suggest..although i
    would have to say in all fairness that there has been a huge turnaround
    lately..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

You need to set up some pretty ridiculous numbers before you start seeing the majority of applications being problematic.
    I agree, but that does not mean that there are not an unacceptably large number of cases of people being unjustly refused a FAC.

I know people (and I am sure many others here have seen this) in the shooting community that have:

1) Been refused a FAC on the basis of a law that does not exist

2) Been told that what they are applying for is illegal (when it is not)

3) Been told that they must have ridiculous security, and when they comply with the requirements they are still refused (even after a favourable inspection from CPO)

4) At the age of 21 told to come back and reapply when he is older!

5) Renewal refused on the basis that the range was not authorised a few years ago when none in the country were authorised.

I could go on.....

I hear that things have improved, but I do not know anyone that has applied for anything recently. Personally, I have had positive experiences myself.

I will not argue around in circles about this, this is just what I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Personally I think things have improved barring certain well known areas and problems.

The point of having and developing a shooting community is that those who heretofore have had no recourse to either information or advice when faced with an unfair decision, now do.

There will be still some who will fall through the cracks, but it's good to see people coming into this forum and asking advice before attempting to apply for a licence.

From the NARGC website:
    NARGC SECURES LANDMARK JUDGEMENT

High Court Judicial Review
    Thomas O'Leary -V- Superintendent Michael Maher.

The Reserved Judgment of Ms Justice Harding-Clarke was delivered in the High Court in the above NARGC case on Friday last, April 25th. While it is nothing out of the ordinary for us to win our Judicial Review cases, having won every single one to date, this one is particularly important as it is a landmark Judgment which settles once and for all the proper interpretation of Section 4(b) of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended. Section 4(b) of the Act states that before granting a firearms certificate to an applicant, a Superintendent of the Garda Siochana must satisfy himself that the applicant may be permitted to possess, use and carry the firearm without posing a danger to public safety or the peace. Many Superintendents around the country have been interpreting this for the purposes of resisting a firearms licence application, as meaning that the Superintendent is entitled to take into account the calibre, style or type of firearm which is being sought as in some way forming part of his reasoning concerning public safety and the peace. We have persistently maintained that this is an incorrect interpretation and that the correct interpretation is that the Superintendent must make a subjective assessment of the character of the applicant and that this should have nothing whatever to do with the type of firearm. Justice Harding-Clarke agrees with our interpretation and has ruled accordingly. However, her Judgment is particularly strong and that will be obvious from the terminology she uses, e.g. illogical, defying commonsense, bizarre etc. The implications of this Judgment are that if a person is already an existing firearms licence holder, then de facto that person has already been adjudicated by the Superintendent as not posing a threat to public safety or the peace by his/her possession of a firearm. The fact that the applicant may be applying for a different firearm or higher calibre does not alter the character of the applicant which has already been assessed prior to the granting of the existing firearm, unless of course there has been a material change to the applicant's circumstances. Even for a new applicant, the judgement states unambiguously that the Superintendent must still address his consideration to the character of the applicant and he may not decide for the applicant the type of firearm which the applicant requires. The only matter which a Superintendent may consider in relation to the firearm is whether the applicant would be able to handle the firearm in question competently. This of course is covered now in the Criminal Justice Act by the Minimum Standards of Safety Requirements. This Judgment seriously changes the manner in which Superintendents will have to apply themselves in considering firearms applications and it will no longer be permissible for a Superintendent to say to an applicant that he is refusing the firearm application because the firearm is used by military personnel somewhere in the world or by a police force somewhere else or because of the calibre or type of firearm etc. It will be noted from the Judgment, that much was made of this military aspect in the case with the State arguing that the firearm is a NATO Sniper calibre and that it can fire armour piercing bullets. This was a rather disingenuous argument in view of the fact that the .308 which was the subject of the application was a sporting version which was bolt action and capable of holding only three rounds of ammunition. It is also the case that armour piercing ammunition is not available to private citizens.

Apart from altering the way in which Superintendents will have to approach consideration of an applicant in the future, this Judgment also means that a number of other cases which are currently on our Judicial Review list but yet to be heard will now fall to be settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hmmm... interesting.

An occasional tap of the 'Return' key would have been nice, if anyone from the NARGC nerve centre happens to be reading this.:rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see how this effects the application of the law in the real world, particularly in those places where the man in the blue suit has a bee in his bonnet over 'military calibres'.

Is the wording of the actual judgement available anywhere, does anyone know?

It's a good summation of it allright (at least the parts I've seen reported so far, the actual judgement isn't up on the web yet) - though I think it's a bit loose in regard to how the super can look at the firearm being applied for:
    The only matter which a Superintendent may consider in relation to the firearm is whether the applicant would be able to handle the firearm in question competently. This of course is covered now in the Criminal Justice Act by the Minimum Standards of Safety Requirements.
    Thing is, that's correct in that competence comes into it, but there's also the matter of having a safe place to use the firearm. Granted the two are linked (no competent shooter would try to use a .308 for shooting rats in a barn) but it's such a major item that it ought to be thought of as a seperate thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hmm, just a quick question: If the nature of the firearm concerned in an application is irrelevant, how is the restricted list to be applied now?

• Advertisement

Erm, that's sort of the whole point IWM :D
    From the first post:
    There are ripples from this (and I suspect this is the source of the rumour). Most obvious is that it directly attacks both the Restricted Firearms SI and the part of the CJA that defines Restricted Firearms licencing and the like. So parts of the CJA may at a future point be overturned with this as a precedent. There may be others - we'll need to wait for the judgement to see, obviously. And of course there's the question of appeals, if there are any.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Woops, sorry, writing essays at 4am screws with my brain. So is it going to be impossible to implement now or is there a way it can be worked in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Remember that there were two aspects to the restricted list.

A) What is "restricted"
    B) Centralised processing of applications for permits for A)

Some of it could still be implemented.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Woops, sorry, writing essays at 4am screws with my brain. So is it going to be impossible to implement now or is there a way it can be worked in anyway?

Yes, by legislating it into a banned list. Bear in mind that this judgement wasn't that there was anything wrong with the law, just that in this case the Superintendent operated the existing law incorrectly or unjustly.

I have a slight sense of unease that we may have taken a step forward here but be facing two steps backwards; I hope I'm wrong. In that regard I wonder if there was any significance in the military calibres being taken out of the restricted list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is today the commencement date for SI 21/2008?

That judgement should be on http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2008/ in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Yes, by legislating it into a banned list. Bear in mind that this judgement wasn't that there was anything wrong with the law, just that in this case the Superintendent operated the existing law incorrectly or unjustly.

I have a slight sense of unease that we may have taken a step forward here but be facing two steps backwards; I hope I'm wrong. In that regard I wonder if there was any significance in the military calibres being taken out of the restricted list?

There are also inherent difficulties in turning it into a banned list. Firstly, there's the possibility of banning shotguns, .22 rimfire rifles, .22 rimfire pistols (never mind the 'what's a pistol designed for Olympic Competition?' question), moderators etc.

Then there's a whole other raft of legislation regarding the licensing of restricted firearms, dealers and procedures that would have to be repealed which would be difficult seeing as there's now a mention of that R word in nearly every section of the firearms acts.

legislatively speaking that could take years and create total uproar.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That judgement should be on http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2008/ in a few days.
    And on courts.ie as well.

Also, here's the Irish Times coverage from Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Looks good!

Seems the navan super didnt hear of this ruling today. mate got a call from him today. 9mm pistol and 308 rifle licence turned down (holds two licences already). Was told he can take him to the local court if he wants as he will be there next week for turning down two other pistol licences. One of these turned down by him was a local firearms importer/dealer:eek: from Ardee sports Co.

So should my mate ring the super tomorrow and inform the super of this ruling? Or go the local court route?

Full name and address of the shooter given in the paper as per the usual Irish Times MO. :mad:

• Advertisement

chem wrote: »
    Looks good!

Seems the navan super didnt hear of this ruling today. mate got a call from him today. 9mm pistol and 308 rifle licence turned down (holds two licences already). Was told he can take him to the local court if he wants as he will be there next week for turning down two other pistol licences. One of these turned down by him was a local firearms importer/dealer:eek: from Ardee sports Co.

So should my mate ring the super tomorrow and inform the super of this ruling? Or go the local court route?
    He should go thru the District Court appeals procedure and quote the High Court which is a binding precedent on the lower courts.

Advertisement