Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance jobs sent to Northern Ireland

Options
  • 25-04-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Was I the only one gobsmacked by this story:

http://tinyurl.com/62xm99
    or
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0415/1208208529397.html

Thousands of finance jobs could move to the North

GERRY MORIARTY, Northern Editor, and SIMON CARSWELL, Finance Correspondent

BRIAN COWEN and Peter Robinson have described a new initiative to potentially transfer thousands of jobs originally earmarked for the financial services sector in the Republic to Northern Ireland as a "win-win" situation for both economies.

Taoiseach-designate Mr Cowen travelled to Belfast yesterday to join first minister-designate Mr Robinson for the announcement that firms operating in the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) in the Republic can establish offices in Northern Ireland to help them cope with the current skills deficit in the South.

The initiative is prompted by a shortage of graduate lawyers, accountants and economists in the Republic to fill posts in the financial sector, according to the departments of finance in the Republic and the North.

There are between 8,000 and 9,000 vacancies in the sector but not enough people in the South to fill them, said Mr Robinson.

<snip>

Who made this decision? Was there a democratic discussion to send these jobs and the money they'll make into the British exchequer?

If there are not enough qualified people in the Republic of Ireland, should we not encourage immigration (from Northern Ireland, indeed, as well as from other countries with qualified people, and from Irish emigrants), and foster our own financial services industry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Just my opinion, but I doubt there is 8-9 k vacancies. Probably a whole lot of double adverstised jobs and fake adverstised jobs added together would arrive at that total. I guess it's part of the peace dividend thing. Having said that there probably will be a few hundred decent jobs created out of this.

Besides we do all want to live happily ever after (together). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'm inclined to think that peace would be better fostered by importing the workers than by exporting the jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sanctioned by Peter Robinson & Brian Cowan, I think this is great News for all in the financial industry, its a 'two way' win win agreement for both parts of the island, while bringing both traditions closer & respecting the border at the same time.

Dont we want closer ties with the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Foreigners taking our jobz!?

This is the future, the future will mean impoverishing the Republic to support NI economy.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe the plan is to move all Civil Servants out of Britain and Ireland into the north, then cut around the dotted line shown on maps and set it adrift.

no more civil servants, no more issues surrounding the north, no more Ian Pasley, no more Gerry Adams.

Win Win all round I say :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Relax Luckat, I'm sure it won't be just prods that get the jobs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

HA ...i will believe it when i see it ...

Sorry I will re-state that while happy at every job that comes to NI CitiBank in the titanic Quarter took forever to fill the few hundred positions they actually had so while this all sounds very well I doubt the impact will be that huge on the average Joe soap on the street.

I have to praise the efforts of the DUP however whose elections pamphlets on the economy consisted of stating they will re-introduce manufacturing back to NI and never even mentioned high skilled employment. Nice too see they at least let themselves go down this path. Every day we hear of initiaves here and american funds there but as yet I see no clear plan to move us away from our Public sector pay dependant society.

I'm not fussy about the religion of those who get the jobs - I'm just astonished that any government would be so delighted to send away jobs that would pay money into its own exchequer.

Of course Peter Robinson would want the jobs for the North. But what on earth is Brian Cowen at?

The Republic of Ireland is losing jobs at the moment - look at the Dell job cuts announced just yesterday. And our Taoiseach-to-be negotiates a deal to send high-end jobs out of the jurisdiction to earn money for Britain?

<scratches head>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

luckat

Did you bother yourself reading about how this might work ? Do you think the govt has said "nah, we don't want those jobs, up there...Belfast, they'll have em. Send the money over to G Brown c/o the UK exchequer????"

Jobs based in North, corporate tax payable to RoI.

Money earned by people in the North.

Tax revenue collected by Irish govt.

You can stop scratching yer head now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I am pie wrote: »
    Money earned by people in the North.

Tax revenue collected by Irish govt.
    Presumably not income tax from the employees though. That will surely go to London.

• Advertisement

Everyone still complacent?

I posted this cross post back in April.

How do people feel about it now? Do you still feel it's a win-win situation, and the jobs our government sent to Northern Ireland are small loss to us in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

luckat wrote: »
    I posted this cross post back in April.

How do people feel about it now? Do you still feel it's a win-win situation, and the jobs our government sent to Northern Ireland are small loss to us in the Republic?

but sure arent solicitors offices letting employees go now? so we obviously dont have the vacancies we had back in April. In terms of the financial services sector, i think NI would be lucky to hold on to the jobs they have never many Ireland, a lot has changed since April. sure our own banking industry is in **** with talk of 5000 cuts over mergers, citigroup cutting 50,000 worldwide...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Camelot wrote: »

Dont we want closer ties with the North?

Nope!

Advertisement