Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Connections?

• 25-04-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

I remember a number of Irish/Ireland references in Star Trek, from TNG onwards.

Chief O Brien is the obvious one, but there was also the episode of TNG where the Bringloidi were involved (and a more paddywhackery oirish lot you could never be hoping to see)

Then there was the fairhaven series of episodes from Voyager, which were...well.. the quaint oirish village with the little people and the fairy folk and the whole lot

There was also an episode of Enterprise where Archer was answering a letter from some school in Bantry.

Just wondering...who was it who inspired these irish references?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Everything the wiki has is here. No mention of who inspired them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was also the holodeck scenes on DS9 where O'Brien and Bashir refight the Battle of Clontarf... and the Next Gen preachy terrorism episode where there's talk of a united Ireland in 2025...

Lots of American shows, especially ones that started in the 80s, threw in an Oirish episode... Murder She Wrote, Remington Steele, The Twilight Zone... I don't think you need to look too deeply for reasons beyond the popularity of a particular view of Ireland in America and Irish-America.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Wasn't one of the last Murder She Wrotes made in Ireland?

That Fairhaven crap really put me off voyager more than anything. It was brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Wasn't one of the last Murder She Wrotes made in Ireland?

That Fairhaven crap really put me off voyager more than anything. It was brutal.
    Yep, in Cork. Even got a movie; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330664/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Irony is, that was Ireland in the 1950's. People seem to forget just what a fecky little island this is/was/forever shall be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

trust me guys it could have been much worse this line sums it up

"that for DS9: "If Wishes Were Horses", Rumpelstiltskin was originally written as a leprechaun, but was changed when Colm Meaney objected, claiming that this was an offensive stereotype against Irish people? "

thank god for Colm Meaney enough said

Advertisement