Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

septum question

Options
  • 25-04-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi! I guess I did wrong, but I changed the jewellery after only 1 week. I had a retainer which was killing me, it was too big and it hurted the inside of my nose (I have to keep it hidden for work) so yesterday I got a horseshoe piercing and changed it myself. I did it very clean and it fit perfectly and now it doesn't hurt at all and it looks great, not sore. Now I'm reading you shouldn't change the jewellery within 8 weeks and I'm getting all paranoid thinking I did wrong! so my question is, why so long? is it for fear of infection? or is it something else?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

When you mess with piercings you agitate them, this isnt good when trying to heal said piercing. however, sounds like you made the right choice mainly because it isnt hurting anymore. if you are still worried go to your local piercer and get them to check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I had the same problem for a while; it was the shape of the retainer that was annoying me- because it was a sorta rectangular shape, the corners hurt the hole when it was healing. I left it though and it was alright, and by the sounds of it yours should be fine, but if you've any doubts go to the place you got it done and ask them to check it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

actually, while we're on the topic, is it possible for septums to reject?

particularly if you've gotten a smack on the nose, bled from two parts of the nose for about ten minutes, and a week later it's still quite tender?

depends how much tissue damage is done... go get it checked ;)

****. right, ill check with the dude who i dont hate who does piercings here.... sometime next week... im all sick and stuck indoors now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

Resistante, id say you will be fine, my retainer fell out four hours after having it done, and i put it back in myself with no problems,its been out once since aswell and its all good so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 resistante

thanks a lot guys for your answers, I feel now much better! so now I can worry about paranoia number 2: my piercing is crooked! but what actually worries me is that one the sides is way too low, in my opinion. Actually I think it's been "moving" since I had it done. What do you think, is it too low? could it be rejected somehow?

CROOKED!
    s001.jpg

THE LOWEST SIDE:
    s002.jpg

what do you think? too low?

sorry if I'm not making myself very clear, english is not my first language. oh and sorry about the scary photos /:

Anyone know? I've never gotten a septum piercing. Looks quite low but that just me going on a hunch. Really I've no clue, I do know that is crooked but really thats just a visual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Umm, is it not just that the Curved barbell is slightly twisted?

If septums aren't pierced straight they will be at an angle and the jewelry will move accordingly. Could be that the jewelry isn't rotated but she commented that its the low side in the second pic

• Advertisement

yes, the piercing is obviously crooked, is not the barbell,,,but I'll have to live with that :rolleyes: I was just wondering if my septum was pierced too low (like, too much outside the nose, so to speak). I think it's quite ok on the left nostril, but the one showing on the second picture, do you think it's too low? I'm afraid it would keep "moving" till it's eventually rejected...can this possibly happen? thanks!

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across rude. I quite like crooked septums for some reason :)
    The best thing you can do is go and get a professional piercer to take a look at your piercing. They will tell you if its in danger of rejecting.

oh no no, I'm sorry I didn't think you were rude! I said english, not my language (: anyway I guess I should go ask the piercer, I was just trying to avoid the visit you know, bearing in mind he will kill me when he sees I changed the ring within a week /: thanks a lot guys.

as far as i know, with septums, there's only really one little triangle section that can be pierced, so perhaps yours was just more forward/lower than the average?

thought i wouldnt know alot about it, i like mine with just the retainer in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

I wouldnt say its too low, its pierced to suit your anatomy,
    the great thing about having a septum piercing is you never lose a sneeze again, just give it a wiggle and your set:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...and a week later it's still quite tender?
    ...im all sick and stuck indoors now :(
    Think we know there why it's still tender...
    resistante wrote: »
    Actually I think it's been "moving" since I had it done.
    This is the bit I'd be worried about...

Does the piercing site seem to be moving or is it just that the barbell turns around by itself?

shush, you. though really, there's a weird layer of skin on one side, that i dont know what to do about. not so tender anymore though... wish i could say the same about my throat and tummeh.

shush, you. though really, there's a weird layer of skin on one side, that i dont know what to do about. not so tender anymore though... wish i could say the same about my throat and tummeh.
    Tried cleaning your nose? ;)

*runs away very very fast*

*threatens you with a dead fish*

This is the bit I'd be worried about...

Does the piercing site seem to be moving or is it just that the barbell turns around by itself?

mmmm bit of both actually. In the first place I was worried my piercing may be moving towards the tip of my nose, like the ring was hanging lower than it used to at the beginning.Actually I read somewhere that piercings tend to "migrate to a more comfortable position" and I was fearing this was happening to mine, and wether it could eventually be rejected. But this may be only my paranoia, maybe it's not moving at all...
    second thing is I changed the initial retainer for this horseshoe, which is slightly thinner than the retainer. I thought the piercing would tighten around the new ring but this is not happening, so the barbell is a bit loose and moves a lot /: and the piercing is still a bit tender, although not sore or red.

• Advertisement

How long do you have it done now? It won't tighten in too much, as I'd say there's probably quite a bit of movement of the curved barbell. The barbell moving itself, nothing to worry about. The piercing site moving may be though, just keep an eye on it, and if you do think it's moving, then go see your piercer to get their opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

I got my septum pierced like 5-6 weeks ago, reckon I'd be okay to put a ring in Saturday?
    Have a keeper at the moment!

yeah, i'd reckon so.

is it well comfortable and healed-feeling at this stage? if so, i reckon go for it :)

just be sure that you are confident enough to switch the jewelry

ha, actually, i remember my retainer falling out one day, and it taking about 45mins to put back in. now, i cannot figure out how the **** it took so long to do, but yeah, some piercings are a bit of a bitch to figure out at first.

oh yeah and make sure you clean your hands very thoroughly

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

It's pretty comfortable now :D

Doesn't hurt at all.. But I'm getting them to change it in the shop I'd be afraid to change it myself incase I mess it up.
    I'm all excited about getting the ring !!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's pretty comfortable now :D

Doesn't hurt at all.. But I'm getting them to change it in the shop I'd be afraid to change it myself incase I mess it up.
    I'm all excited about getting the ring !!:o

Im sorry but i just have to ask...

Did it hurt? D:

getting it done like

How long do you have it done now? It won't tighten in too much, as I'd say there's probably quite a bit of movement of the curved barbell. The barbell moving itself, nothing to worry about. The piercing site moving may be though, just keep an eye on it, and if you do think it's moving, then go see your piercer to get their opinion. :)

only 10 days! I know, I just want it to heal very fast (: thanks for your answers, I'll keep an eye on it!

• Advertisement

No probs, good luck with it :)

Advertisement