Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Having 5 kids by aged 21, irresponsible?

• 25-04-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Story in the paper(Herald yeh we know its a rag) about a girl who turned to cocaine(dealing) and cannabis to cope with bringing up her 4 kids who she admitted were making her very tired and stressed out.

She just had 5th kid last month at aged 21, had first baby at 14.

She ended up with a suspended sentence from the court. Thought it a bit strange that support services didn't keep an eye on this case, having so many kids at such a young age.

Question is, is it irresponsible for people to have so many kids so young??

Is it that common to see young women with so many kids that age? Its the first i've heard of one having 5 so young. Most i've heard was 3 but 5 is a new high excuse the pun? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Some people can handle it, others can't. It would have been the norm in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I bet a tenner she's from Tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Can't.............take..........same............topic............reappearing..........every.........week:p;)

It is irresponsible in the sense that you'd think she'd learn to practice safe sex after having 5 kids that were unplanned I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

its irresponsible....unless getting on jerry springer is your main aim in life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Yes, it is irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the phrases clowns pocket, hippo's yawn, horses collar and wizards sleeve come to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Depends on the mother in question. If at 22 she's in a position to provide a stable home and upbringing for the five children then no, it's not irresponsible... But how likely is that? Plus, she was only a kid herself when she had the first two or three - she's still a kid in many ways.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    It would have been the norm in the past.
    Maybe three kids by 22 but five? Probably, but in the very far past. Plus, these were more likely to have been within a relationship. This girl is on her own - what a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

the phrases clowns pocket, hippo's yawn, horses collar and wizards sleeve come to mind
    Reminds me of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If she's had to turn to dealing drugs to support her and the kids then it was irresponsible, no question. One and perhaps two kids, you can call an accident, give her her social welfare entitlements and move on...but five? If you can't pay their way (legally) and give them the care and attention they deserve plus a stable home and family life then you have no business popping them out. I have a fairly liberal approach to drugs and drug dealing but even I drwa the line at having your young kids living in the same premises that coke's being kept in/sold from...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I would have thought that there'd be €300 - €400 per week available to her in social welfare payments :confused: That said I know fook all about it so maybe its not that much.

There are a couple of parties acting in an irresponsible fashion in this case:

The girl: She should have not had sex at 14. She should have used protection at 14. Repeat this process 4 more times.

The boy(s): He/they should have not had sex with someone under the legal age. He/they should have worn protection. Repeat this process 4 times.

The girl's family/guardian: WTF? Look after your kid ffs!

The HSE/Social Welfare Dept: Ok, getting pregnant at 14 isn't a big shock anymore. Do your best to see her through this difficult time, see that the child is taken care of properly, dispense an adequate amount of benifits where necessary. Do not watch her repeat this process 4 times!

Whilst ultimately the girl, boy and family should burden the majority of the blame for the present situation, sometimes people are irreversibly stupid, and plan on being a drain on the human race.

I feel that the social welfare should have stepped in and either removed the girl from the situation, removed the girl's kids from the situation, had her steralised, locked her up... anything. Any action from the social welfare could have probably saved one bastard child from being brought into a world where it would simply be seen as a meal ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Sterilise the sow and take her kids into care. You need a licence to have a dog but nothing to have a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

What is her name?

Bound to have a bebo being that age :) Wanna see if its more schwartastic than Decker McGowan and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    What is her name?

Bound to have a bebo being that age :) Wanna see if its more schwartastic than Decker McGowan and friends.

I saw that profile months ago and still remember his name.That gentleman must have made quite the impression on me. (His Bebo profile, that is...not the profile on my forehead from his sovereign rings:))

So, she took drugs while pregnant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Sterilise the sow and take her kids into care. You need a licence to have a dog but nothing to have a child.

+1 and make sure the Father(s) are having something deducted from their wages/social welfare to support their kids too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

she has nothing on this irresponsible yoke http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7258072.stm
    her poor family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

she has nothing on this irresponsible yoke http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7258072.stm
    her poor family

I wonder how many she will have by 22?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

5 sprogs at 22?

Jeez H Christ.

What a misguided soul. She could have been a Rocket Scientist instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

If thats what she wants, whos to judge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The Tax Payer.
    The Gardai.
    Social Services.

.. oh.. yea and her parents.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

snyper wrote: »
    The Tax Payer.
    The Gardai.
    Social Services.

.. oh.. yea and her parents.

you forgot the, you know, judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

taidghbaby wrote: »
    its irresponsible....unless getting on jerry springer is your main aim in life!
    Looks like she's aiming for Jeremy Kyle to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

5 kids by 22?
    how medieval of her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its on page 26, pic of story here http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x283/gurra2011/Misc/DSCN0395.jpg.
    Hope mods are ok with this as it's public knowledge in the media already.

Oh yeh, 5th last month at 21 instead of 22!

It dont mention anything about fathers or if one lives with her bringing up children or if the 'family' home is indeed hers or really her parents home.

Still, she on welfare and maybe for many years to go. Sounds harsh but its as if the state pays women like her to have kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

She is a whore. She should be put down.

Sterilisation is the solution. Looking at her picture it's dificult to imagine anyone wanting to go within a twelve foot radius of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

No one, and I mean no one, could have a more schwartastic Bebo than Decker McGowan. Anyone who says otherwise deserves a "battorin".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

I read an article about a younger woman with more kids before.
    She had like 2 sets of triplets and a set of twins. Or something.

It's incredibly irresponsible!
    If these children are the results of drunken nights, unprotected sex etc. then they should have learned after they had their first child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

I know a girl who is 22 and has 2 kids, she had them at 16(twins)

I know another girl who is 22 and had her 1st at 14

Im 22 and have none, my sister had her first at 22 and is 28 now and has two girls.

I dont get some people, when you have one/two kids and dont want anymore WHY DONT YA USE CONDOMS!

im sorry that girl CANT say she has being using contraceptives because its obvious she has not, I dont care how drunk or stoned ya are why dont ya have some bloody common sense!!

I had a miscarrage when i was 15(didnt know i was pregnant) and been on contraceptives since then and i havnt gotten pregnant.

That girls just irresponsible and DONT say "oh it happens" ya it happens once maybe twice NOT 5 TIMES!

Five kids?And let me guess, no dad/dads around and living off the goverment*

*May be wrong but from the ORGINAL POST no dad/dads mentioned and i doubt she could work with 5 kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Agamemnon wrote: »
    No one, and I mean no one, could have a more schwartastic Bebo than Decker McGowan. Anyone who says otherwise deserves a "battorin".

I'm sure someone posted a bebo page of some knack limerick who was saying he was into the gang situation down there, that was more schwartastic. His video box thingy was lads on a quad tearing up a park by doing circles lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Agamemnon wrote: »

Unfortunately Decker deleted the best bits from his profile a few weeks ago. Presumably because either

a-His mohs oul one is a well uppity tinkin Missus bleedin Bouquet off at comedy yoke typa kunt, and shed tink oim poure nacker if she found dah sh1te I wrote on me bebo (somewhat possible)

b- He had a job interview and was worried theyd google him (very unliely)

or

c- He was worried the judge might google his name during his pre sentencing considerations (most likely)

Lucily for those who didnt see Decker in all his glory, someone took a screenshot when it was in full swing

http://www-srv-3.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55329798

Id love to see the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Lucily for those who didnt see Decker in all his glory, someone took a screenshot when it was in full swing

Id love to see the shed.

LMFAO!!

Good stuff. I take back my previous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

She is not much of a mother to those kids, Smoking hash whilst pregnant and doing Coke to cope? Where are social services? Why is she still allowed to raise these kids?

On her own admission she is stressed out to bits?

Its the kids I feel sorry for, What example is she setting for them, Growing up like this is child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Unfortunately Decker deleted the best bits from his profile a few weeks ago.
    Ah balls. Decker was an internet legend, up there with the Star Wars Kid and Afro Ninja. I sent a Bebo friend request to him anyway. Just hope that site isn't blocked in the 'Joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Quality wrote: »
    She is not much of a mother to those kids, Smoking hash whilst pregnant and doing Coke to cope? Where are social services? Why is she still allowed to raise these kids?

On her own admission she is stressed out to bits?

Its the kids I feel sorry for, What example is she setting for them, Growing up like this is child abuse.

Fully agree. It's yet another failure in the justice system, by all means she should have the lot taken off her and put into foster homes, then let choose what they want when they're 18.

Eh... what? Oh I love these attempts at being different. Did you ever think maybe it's not a great life for her kids? This isn't one person we're talking about, this is six people, five of whom have no say in the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Battery acid birthing pools ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

each to their own. overpopulation will sort itself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Dudess wrote: »
    Eh... what? Oh I love these attempts at being different. Did you ever think maybe it's not a great life for her kids? This isn't one person we're talking about, this is six people, five of whom have no say in the matter.

i didn't read much about this story, i'm not trying to be different. My responce was really to the thread title. If someone wants to have 5 kids by 21 then its up to them.

And to you:
    Whos to decide whats a good life and whats not?

gurramok wrote: »
    Still, she on welfare and maybe for many years to go. Sounds harsh but its as if the state pays women like her to have kids!

'Recreational Sex Tax' to help out the 'Disadvantaged' is Next people!!!!

God help the Irish Catholics :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

lets face it, they are all going to be scumbags so really, a hessian sack into the river..job done! and she should be neutered or put down.. the state of her!

• Advertisement

flanum wrote: »
    lets face it, they are all going to be scumbags so really, a hessian sack into the river..job done! and she should be neutered or put down.. the state of her!

Cavan.. Economical...In this context I respect that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

i didn't read much about this story, i'm not trying to be different. My responce was really to the thread title. If someone wants to have 5 kids by 21 then its up to them.

And to you:

If you didn't read the thread/story then why should your opinion be taken seriously? Right wrong or otherwise, you are giving an opinion on something you don't know much about, by your own admission.

The thread isn't about whether or not the mother should be allowed to have 5 kids at 21 if they want, it is about whether or not it irresponsible for the mother in question to have had 5 children by the age of 21. Given the situation of the mother in question, it is definitely irresponsible of her.

She has a responsibility to her children which she is failing to meet or is incapable of meeting. Therefore, irresponsible. Seems pretty simple to me really.

She is a whore. She should be put down.
    flanum wrote: »
    Tone it down. She is not an animal. Why, when it's a female, do looks always have to come into it? She looks rough but other than that, she looks like an average looking 21-year-old.
    And to you:
    Sigh... And I get accused of being a bleeding heart. I hate the over-use of those sociology lecturer-isms - "define normal" etc. Sometimes one just has to let common sense prevail. That girl's kids' life is gonna be sh1t - end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

gurramok wrote: »
    Story in the paper(Herald yeh we know its a rag) about a girl who turned to cocaine(dealing) and cannabis to cope with bringing up her 4 kids who she admitted were making her very tired and stressed out.

She just had 5th kid last month at aged 21, had first baby at 14.

She ended up with a suspended sentence from the court. Thought it a bit strange that support services didn't keep an eye on this case, having so many kids at such a young age.

Question is, is it irresponsible for people to have so many kids so young??

Is it that common to see young women with so many kids that age? Its the first i've heard of one having 5 so young. Most i've heard was 3 but 5 is a new high excuse the pun? :)

in fairness how the hell can anyone in their right mind find that responsible?

One mistake after another, lesson learnt?
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

At the rate she's going she'll have a gee like a wizard's sleeve! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

whats scary is in about 10 years time, maybe even less, she is probably going to be a Grandmother. her kids are most likely going to start having kids of their own around the same age as she did, because it is what they have seen and its the way they have been brought up. so she could well be a granny before she is 30 years old. now could you imagine that?

and if that happens then she could well be a Great Grandmother by the time she is 45 years old (well, nothing too great about that). i wonder will she still be sellng drugs then? i could just imagine those headlines. "Great Grandmother Caught in Drugs Bust" !!!!! she is probaly only having the kids to use as drug mules. she trying to build an army of drug runners to transport drugs around the tallaght estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

Unfortunately Decker deleted the best bits from his profile a few weeks ago. Presumably because either

a-His mohs oul one is a well uppity tinkin Missus bleedin Bouquet off at comedy yoke typa kunt, and shed tink oim poure nacker if she found dah sh1te I wrote on me bebo (somewhat possible)

b- He had a job interview and was worried theyd google him (very unliely)

or

c- He was worried the judge might google his name during his pre sentencing considerations (most likely)

Id love to see the shed.

Decker McGowen might have taken down his 'best bits' but check out his mates pages.

SalsDableedin http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1109687414

Deco O'Rourke http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=2083872798

classic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

or maybe not - if she's had five 'C'-sections?
    At the rate she's going she'll have a gee like a wizard's sleeve! :D

see above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

knacktastic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

her kids should be taken off her and she should have supervised visits until its totally clear that she can look after them properly. though judging by the social services in the area that have let it go this far is probably not going to happen. as for the bebos ha knackertastic they cant be real can they?

• Advertisement
Advertisement