Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert System - Idea(s)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Overheal wrote: »
    So, you hate that you have to focus on your exams; but also hate it when a teacher brings you off topic for an existential debate? Make up your mind. To be fair there is plenty of time in life for existential debate; only 2 years to prepare you for being processed by the Leaving Cert.
    Notice that I put "irresponsible" in quotation marks. I'll admit I'm in two minds about it. The logical side of me says that he should concentrate on the course, and that his students will not do well. The human side of me says that it should not be like this, that this system is wrong, that what he is doing is right. But ultimately, what he's doing is failing the system, be it as it is flawed, and until the system is fixed/adjusted (maybe never but I can hope), he needs to work within it.

Which would have its own problems. Teachers issuing simple exams for one. Even in college: our continuous exams seem to be handed to us half the time. It does not reflect our knowledge of the skill much at all.
    Then perhaps more standards need to be put in place to ensure the exams given are difficult enough, or your college should reassess the level of degree it gives at the end. : p

Don't vocational schools already do this?
    The Leaving Cert Applied course uses continuous assessment (and it's not rsetricted to vocational schools; my school does it), but the LCA doesn't qualify you for any university courses, as far as I'm aware. It can get you into insititutes of further education though, and senior colleges etc., and it is an example of one of the steps to make the education system more friendly to non-academics. I have to say I don't know an awful lot about it, despite about 15 people in my year doing it, it's all kept quite mysterious.

Have to agree with you there on the Art. However, its very uncommon in this country that a college course in Art will not have Art History in it. so it is important that you can do it.

Also if you really need the extra (30 points is it?) or B3 that comes with having a good Art History component; then you are aiming for a college course which will require those skills of you, anyway.
    True. Art is a messy one anyway, because you don't necessarily have to go to art college to become an artist. I just think it's a shame to see people who are excellent at art getting a mediocre mark in the end just because of art history.

Sounds exactly like programming. In C++ theres usually about 3 or 4 different ways to do something. However, you are expected to never use most of those methods. For most reasons its because they tend to confuse the code (in the case of the 'goto' command especially... google that) or because the company you will be hired by will require a coding standard be adhered to: for example you have to name your vairables a certain way; because if you dont it just confuses the next person after you and that can lead to a lot of problems when you are making software, where 50 programmers all have to bring their code together into one project and have it all work in unison.

So imagine how hard it is for an examiner to have to correct 50 papers with 50 different "Standards" of how they cross their Ts dot their I's and make their 5s look like an S? You're told to do it one way because it promotes clarity.
    My point was that the teachers talk about nothing but exams.

Though, as I am not doing programming, I still think that to lose marks because you phrased something differently is wrong. For example we have a french assistant from Rouen, many things she has told us are marked as wrong, despite as being perfectly legitimate French as coming from a native speaker, because they're not how the department of education do things.
    And theres nothing wrong with learning Templates. They can be applied to oh so much.
    Learning the structure of an essay is acceptable (hell there's only so many things they can ask in the Comparative), but actually learning off chunks of text you barely understand? And being graded as if you can communicate well in that language? That's flawed, and wrong.

Not unreasonable so long as its elective. However, the current state of the JC CSPE course is a complete and utter joke. However if you wish to go on and do political theory and education, please, come back and draft up a proper leaving cert CSPE course for everyone behind you.
    I'd rather do maths, but maybe someone else will answer the call. I'd like to see the CSPE course upgraded to something real. JC students have the time to learn basic important things, but CSPE is regarded as such a joke that nobody learns anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Then perhaps more standards need to be put in place to ensure the exams given are difficult enough, or your college should reassess the level of degree it gives at the end.

They give us simple tests; gruelling projects ;)

Standards that might be applied to, say, the Leaving Cert? To ensure an appropiate level of difficulty? Eh? Eh?
    the LCA doesn't qualify you for any university courses, as far as I'm aware.

Must qualify you for some. Again, the style of learning in LCA would differ from the LC which is what most college courses would cater to - so I guess it makes sense.
    it is an example of one of the steps to make the education system more friendly to non-academics.

Indeedy-do. Colleges are academic institutes though. At the end of the day you have to remember that.
    Though, as I am not doing programming, I still think that to lose marks because you phrased something differently is wrong. For example we have a french assistant from Rouen, many things she has told us are marked as wrong, despite as being perfectly legitimate French as coming from a native speaker, because they're not how the department of education do things.

On more than one occassions we (students) have bent the rules of the college coding standards in order to perform our work. It does prove that sometimes your way isnt the best way or even the right way. You have to remember the examiner in question has to follow the department standards, not the assistant from Rouen.
    Learning the structure of an essay is acceptable (hell there's only so many things they can ask in the Comparative), but actually learning off chunks of text you barely understand? And being graded as if you can communicate well in that language? That's flawed, and wrong.

Ohhh...I agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I think the most logical solution to the problem (and the stress, as we all know) is continuous assessment, or even just breaking the exams between fifth and sixth year.
    That might suit you, it certainly wouldn't have suited me.

The stress of constantly having to preform well in every exam you do in 5th and 6th year vs. learning at your own pace and just making sure you do your best over 2 weeks atthe end of 2 years. I know which I prefer.

And Jesus, I can't imagine what teachers would be like given a continuous assessment system. If you think they're bad for only teaching how to do well in exams and giving you notes to learn off as it is, think of what it'd be like if you had important exams regularly....
    Personally, I'm lucky, because I'm good at "school". I'm an academic type, I'm good at understanding concepts, I love maths, basically I'm a nerd. I'm mediocre at best with sports. However, I'm not good at explaining things to people, and my personal touch is not commendable. I will admit, the Leaving Cert has gotten much better with acknowledging that there are different kinds of intelligences, but still I see girls in school who feel useless because they're terrible at Biology, or whatever. The Leaving Cert (established) makes them think that being good at academics is the most important thing, and if you can't do that, you're resigned to being "thick". However if given the chance, and the opportunity to find it, there's probably something they'd excel at, something which would fulfill them, make them feel worthwhile and useful.
    We can't let everyone into college... It's a harsh but true fact of life that there are some types of intelligences which are more useful than others.

I mean I totally understand what you're saying about there probably being something out there for everyone to excel in. Perhaps there should be more opportunities for people to find something they're good at in school. But I don't really see the relevence to the LC, which is a tool for evaluating whether someone is academically good enough to go to college.
    "Well, yes what you said is technically correct, but you have to write it this way to get marks..." and "Well if we do these essays, you can learn them off and twist them to fit whatever title comes up on the exam", and etcetera.
    You don't have to listen to that though. If you're a weak student then you can inflate your grades with such techniques, however, I got above average to high marks in English, Irish and History and never learned off any notes on poetry or essays someone else wrote. Have faith in your competancy to express your own opinion (something which I think many students are afraid of, and which isn't actively encouraged by teachers) and you'll probably find yourself doing quite well.

They give us simple tests; gruelling projects ;)

Standards that might be applied to, say, the Leaving Cert? To ensure an appropiate level of difficulty? Eh? Eh?
    Yes, within a framework of continuous assessment. : p
    Must qualify you for some. Again, the style of learning in LCA would differ from the LC which is what most college courses would cater to - so I guess it makes sense.
    I have not yet seen a university which accepts LCA for any kind of matriculation. It qualifies you for colleges of further education and senior colleges though, which can eventually lead to higher level degrees etc. if you can link in to universities, it's just a longer path. I do take what you mean though about college being an academic place. But what kind of higher qualification options do we have for those whose skills lie outside the academic spectrum?

On more than one occassions we (students) have bent the rules of the college coding standards in order to perform our work. It does prove that sometimes your way isnt the best way or even the right way. You have to remember the examiner in question has to follow the department standards, not the assistant from Rouen.
    True. The marking schemes only allow for so many deviations, but it doesn't make it any more right.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    That might suit you, it certainly wouldn't have suited me.

The stress of constantly having to preform well in every exam you do in 5th and 6th year vs. learning at your own pace and just making sure you do your best over 2 weeks atthe end of 2 years. I know which I prefer.

And Jesus, I can't imagine what teachers would be like given a continuous assessment system. If you think they're bad for only teaching how to do well in exams and giving you notes to learn off as it is, think of what it'd be like if you had important exams regularly....
    I'll admit, the continuous pressure can be a little bad. But I think even if the exams were to be split between summer of fifth year and summer of sixth year it would be good. For example, in fifth year your Irish exam could be based on grammar and comprehension, then in sixth year you'd be examined on literature and writing. Of course, the instant problem with that is that then for that year you concentrate on nothing else, and you go insane from the boredom. But there must be some way to make it work. There's too much uncertainty regarding the summer exams. Three hours are given too much importance and it makes people too inclined to freak out over it.
    If the exams were regular, maybe the ridiculous amount of importance they're given would be somewhat diminished.
    We can't let everyone into college... It's a harsh but true fact of life that there are some types of intelligences which are more useful than others.

I mean I totally understand what you're saying about there probably being something out there for everyone to excel in. Perhaps there should be more opportunities for people to find something they're good at in school. But I don't really see the relevence to the LC, which is a tool for evaluating whether someone is academically good enough to go to college.
    To say that some intelligences are more useful... I don't know about that. Academics are useful, yes, but we need artists and sportspeople (if that is a word) and carers and other things, surely such things have as important a role as anything else, if they're contributing to society. That's a little off the topic though, I guess.

And about getting into college... yes, well I understand that we can't let everyone in, but ideally everyone can go somewhere to pursue their interests, if they so desire. I guess what I'm saying is we just need to cater for the fact that people are different, and as such the LC must be adjusted accordingly.
    You don't have to listen to that though. If you're a weak student then you can inflate your grades with such techniques, however, I got above average to high marks in English, Irish and History and never learned off any notes on poetry or essays someone else wrote. Have faith in your competancy to express your own opinion (something which I think many students are afraid of, and which isn't actively encouraged by teachers) and you'll probably find yourself doing quite well.
    I can't just walk out of class. I know these are techniques used to try increase grades, they're just horrible, I think. My Irish class all got a "Shortcuts to Success: The Aiste" book and it has a formula which it applies ad nauseum. Something like "Statement, filler of nice Irish phrase, seanfhocal, maybe another point, more filler". If you read any of the essays they constructed like this they're completely disjointed, random seanfhocail thrown in all over the place that had nothing to do with the essay. It's a bit of an extreme example, I guess, but it just demonstrates this mentality of "give them what they want" instead of, you know, "write an essay about a topic".

Three hours are given too much importance and it makes people too inclined to freak out over it.
    If the exams were regular, maybe the ridiculous amount of importance they're given would be somewhat diminished.
    Well yeah, but you could equally say that calmness and composure is something that should be rewarded.

Changing the system won't really do much IMO. The LC will still be as soulless as before, it'll just cater slightly more to a different type of person.
    Academics are useful, yes, but we need artists and sportspeople (if that is a word) and carers and other things, surely such things have as important a role as anything else, if they're contributing to society.
    Well, most schools have sports teams and getting into art college generally is heavily based on a portfolio you submit beforehand.

I'm very in favour of the idea of producing more well rounded individuals rather than saying that some people are good at some things, others are good at other things and that we should let them concentrate on that area which they are good at. I think everyone should play a sport, everyone should study a broad range of academic subjects and everyone should have some outlet for creativity like music or poetry.

I don't think the LC should be changed, but students should be made be involved in more extra curricular activities.
    I can't just walk out of class.
    But you can stare into space or draw cartoons. ;)

(Or God forbid, study...)

• Advertisement

Well yeah, but you could equally say that calmness and composure is something that should be rewarded.
    True that. If people could just learn to be calm and confident going into exams, it'd help their grades much more than trying to learn all the tricks and hints in the book.
    Changing the system won't really do much IMO. The LC will still be as soulless as before, it'll just cater slightly more to a different type of person.
    I can dream...
    I'm very in favour of the idea of producing more well rounded individuals rather than saying that some people are good at some things, others are good at other things and that we should let them concentrate on that area which they are good at. I think everyone should play a sport, everyone should study a broad range of academic subjects and everyone should have some outlet for creativity like music or poetry.
    Yeah, this is true, this is how I disagree with earlier essay I linked. Just because a person is good at one thing, it doesn't mean they can't be good at others, and having various disciplines can be beneficial. I still think it's important to find something to excel at, though, if only for personal fulfillment.
    I don't think the LC should be changed, but students should be made be involved in more extra curricular activities.
    The problem is when you're in sixth year, so much emphasis is put on study etc., that anything extra curricular is dropped. One teacher commented the other day that sixth years shouldn't be allowed to attent school sports matches because they're too busy. If those activities (well, not attending matches, but things which aren't necessarily related to studying) were incorporated more into our curriculum, maybe we'd have to do them. (Though, as far as I know the English course has many books as required reading, but as they're not examined as it were, they're completely ignored.)
    But you can stare into space or draw cartoons. ;)
    You should see my french pages. French has helped me with art more than any other class...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No the LCA does not meet the entry requirements for any university or institute of technology. Subjects are taught and assessed on a modular basis, and students gain credits for their work as they go. There is a terminal exam in each subject with it's own exam timetable, but the final exams are only worth about 30% of the total cedit for the module. Students credits are totalled and based on their score they are awarded a distinction, merit or pass in the LCA. It is aimed at students who are not considered 'academic' and would struggle to achieve by the normal route. Students can use it to enrol in Post Leaving Cert courses and from there apply for college courses throught the Higher Eduction Links Scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

As regards CSPE, it would want to be harder than the JC. They would probably have to study past political systems and political ideologies etc. Otherwise it would be unfair if it was too easy.

JC Cspe ist ein Joke!!! Me and my friends had a bet on the day to see who could finish the first. I did it in 27 minutes (maybe quicker but I wasnt allowed out), won my 2 euro and 40 cent. Then got an A in September,

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I think the one way of solving the problem is getting rid of compulsary subjects. I think we should be able to chose to do maths, irish and English.

I like maths and english but if i could, i would change irish to geography or accounting or anything that i may use properly in future. I don't think students should be foced to do these at leaving cert level because some people simply cant get their head around these subjects.

They should be compulsary up to Junior Cert and lets say at least one of these three to be compulsary at LC level.

Peleus wrote: »
    I don't think students should be foced to do these at leaving cert level because some people simply cant get their head around these subjects.
    So? Then they're not as suitable for college as someone who can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't think students should be foced to do these at leaving cert level because some people simply cant get their head around these subjects.

Do you really think people being allowed to drop subjects purely because they're crap at them is a good idea? Seems counter-productive to me. :confused:

I think the one way of solving the problem is getting rid of compulsary subjects. I think we should be able to chose to do maths, irish and English.

Because literacy and numeracy are not at all necessary in the real world. To suggest giving up any of them after the junior cert is ludicrous. Literacy is bad enough with the advent of text messaging without suggesting English/Irish should be optional. Don't get me started on how useful maths is.

It was mentioned elsewhere in this thread that CSPE should be a leaving cert subject. Leaving that debate aside, in it's current form CSPE is not taken seriously because it is a common level subject and there is no follow on at Leaving Cert level, so there is no great incentive to do well in it ( although I do acknowledge that many students get top grades in it). What is the point when it will be not taken at LC level.

Can you imagine what it would be like if English, Irish and Maths were not compulsory for LC. You would certainly have a cohort of students who would be of the opinion that 'English/Irish/Maths doesn't matter, I don't have to do it for my Leaving Cert, so no need to kill myself for the Junior Cert' which in some cases would lead to an even poorer standard in those subject areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well putting Maths and English aside, Irish should definetely be optional - like it or not, the language is going to die out anyway (and personally, I don't approve of this). Keeping it compulsory is raising a generation who utterly loathe it and will be even less likely to use it in the future, and in the meantime is throwing up another stupid barrier to perfectly able students getting into college. The reason no one wants to do Irish is because it has virtually no practical use after school, aside from studying an Irish related subject in 3rd level, so it should clearly be an option for those who wish to take such courses, and save the rest of us one of the biggest LC pains in the ass...

Well putting Maths and English aside, Irish should definetely be optional - like it or not, the language is going to die out anyway (and personally, I don't approve of this). Keeping it compulsory is raising a generation who utterly loathe it and will be even less likely to use it in the future, and in the meantime is throwing up another stupid barrier to perfectly able students getting into college. The reason no one wants to do Irish is because it has virtually no practical use after school, aside from studying an Irish related subject in 3rd level, so it should clearly be an option for those who wish to take such courses, and save the rest of us one of the biggest LC pains in the ass...

It's probably going to be around as long as both English and Irish have equal status in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Whatever about Irish being optional, considering the government's aim, I think it is taught very poorly. More emphasis should be placed on the spoken language. I would have had more interest in it if that had been the case.

Regarding the leaving cert, it may work for some, giving them 'broader skills' or whatever it is people are saying. But for me, I hated it. I was left itching to learn more in my chemistry and biology classes and dreading going to Irish, French etc.

I think advanced classes should be offered. Even with a more specialised system in the UK with the A-levels, they are starting to offer this over there. Yes very well there are vocational schools and the applied leaving cert but what about for the people on the other side of the spectrum, the people who prefer the academic subjects but are forced to stick within the current, fairly pathetic curriculum because, thanks to their other subjects and the points system, they don't have the time to take their learning further.

If they can offer a vocational and a more traditional leaving cert, they should be able to offer a third option.

Advertisement