Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court settlement.

• 25-04-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

What do the resident gardai here on Boards make of the court settlement announced today? This settlement came about after 3 people claimed they were assaulted and illegally detained, among other things.

Will disciplinary charges be brought against the guards in question? Is it plausible that these guards could themselves be charged?

Would you agree that this is a common enough occurence in Ireland today, the assualt / not the settlement or court date and that it is leading to a further decrease in respect for your profession?

I'm also curious as to the fact it hasnt been discussed already here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

What do the resident gardai here on Boards make of the court settlement announced today? This settlement came about after 3 people claimed they were assaulted and illegally detained, among other things.

Will disciplinary charges be brought against the guards in question? Is it plausible that these guards could themselves be charged?

Would you agree that this is a common enough occurence in Ireland today, the assualt / not the settlement or court date and that it is leading to a further decrease in respect for your profession?

I'm also curious as to the fact it hasnt been discussed already here?

A, Not happy. The CCTV footage of the 3 being lunatics was shown in court and thats why they agreed to settle instead of taking the risk. yet another case of the state settling when winning this case would have stopped frivolous cases and made solicitors realise that the state isnt such an easy target.

B, No why would they? No admittance of guilt or fact. A settlement doesnt mean either sides case is proved.

C, Already? jesus it was only in todays paper. some people work you know!

D, Assault? Irish people dont even know what police brutality is. Try Brazil, half of Africa and Asia. Even going to mainland europe would show more police violence than you see here.

E, presuming based on your post that your all hell bent on Garda bashing so I will state now I will not be posting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

So your answer is, and you seem to be a regular poster here who is also a member of the police force, your answer is basically -

A/ 3 people and their various witnesses have colluded in a 'frivolous case' and then decided to settle?

B/ Fair enough but if there was nothing to the case, if it was frivolous, would the guards not see it through to see their name is blackened?

C/ Touché

D/ Where do you start. 'Dont complain about assault til we try and shoot you behind a van?'. Is there an acceptable level of police brutality, as you seem to be implying?

E/ 'presuming based on your post that your all hell bent on Garda bashing so I will state now I will not be posting again.' - Have we sunk to the levels of Brazil or elsewhere, where you are accusedd of this type of attitude and behaviour for asking an opinion?

And you wonder why your job is so hard nowadays, compared to say 10 -20 years ago, when this is your attitude to the normal joe public? I think they would want to introduce a few courses in basic manners and restraint down in Templemore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

And you wonder why your job is so hard nowadays, compared to say 10 -20 years ago, when this is your attitude to the normal joe public? I think they would want to introduce a few courses in basic manners and restraint down in Templemore.[/QUOTE]

i dont think people were suing anyone 10-20 years ago. why not submit your suggestions to garda management im sure they would love to hear from you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Going downhill. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement