Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi RS4

Options
  • 25-04-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering, has anyone here had a drive of an RS4. Havent driven one myself so im looking for some feedback. Actually thinking of buying one but have never had a test drive of one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I haven't driven one in anger, only parked it - what a noise!

I haven't, but this man has - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNAE7e9JTXo

A couple of people in the garage have been in one and given it socks - general consensus is that it's a proper "lottery car". Astonishing...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I envy you, i can only dream of that car, OOOHHH MAN I WANNA GO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Its my dream car too, understated, classy and fast. I am a big fan of Audis and VWs. Saw and heard one the other day and decided that is the car for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Good mate drove one lately, he has driven STi Imprezas and Evo's and owned a few high powered cars himself, and as Chris said he was absolutely blown away by both the power and refinement but most of all by the road holding.

Definitely higher on my dream list that an M3. Would love a cut off one.

Drove the new M3 a couple of weeks ago, cant say I was overly impressed. Too much rear wheel spin, im more used to 4 motion/quattro. The interior is also very plain for a car that costs so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Seen an RS4 the other day with two baby seats in the back - lucky kids:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

The best man (at my wedding) had one for a couple of weeks last summer, he did a swap with his boss (company cars!) for his X-Type Diesel estate (!) as his boss was going on holiday in France with the kids etc.

I'll just say this - my mate phoned me on the car phone from some back road in Surrey with the windows down and just shouted 'listen to this' and floored it. Good God.

Get one. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

There is one in the dealers beside vincents, a hideous blue colour. Quite near the door too for anyone tempted to try as test drive,if they let you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Paulzx wrote: »
    Seen an RS4 the other day with two baby seats in the back - lucky kids:D
    That was probably the TDI version of which there seem to be plenty going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

VH wrote: »
    That was probably the TDI version of which there seem to be plenty going around.

And that would be the worst part of owing one... all the fake TDIs out there. It would put me off I'm afraid, yes I know that BMW do an M Sport pack that is supposed to resemble an M model but anyone into cars will know a mile off which one is the real deal. I like the fact that the RS4 is far less shouty and boy racery looking than the BMW though.

Top Gear still reckons that the M3 is the best btw, but that V8 in the RS4 must make an amazing noise(the less powerful version of the RS4's engine in the S5 makes bloody amazing noise, well the S5 is such a savage car anyway) and I'm sure it goes like a bat out of hell. OP if you do get it, don't hesitate to give me a PM if you're ever going away for a while and I'll gladly pay you a few hundred quid to *cough* look after it *cough*;)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Yet again E92 somehow turns another thread into a BMW discussion. Give it a rest will you?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Friend of mine managers a resteraunt in Mayfair in London - he gets some very wealthy clientelle. He provides Valet parking, and between him and his valet's - they ahve driven almost every single car you can immagine (I think the Veyron is the only car they have not driven between them. (Yes, Porsche Carerra GT and Enzo etc included)

Anyway, I asked both my mate and his Valet's about they 3 favoutite cars, and all of htem had the Audi RS4 in their top 3. I found it hard to believe but they promised me that there is just somehting very very special about the way that car drives that really puts it in a class of its own...

I'm sure you won't regret buying one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I'll get flamed for this but anyway.......

I think they are an almost "boring" car to drive. Quick, definately! Lots and lots of grip, but no poise or balance and just generally not fun, unless you love understeer. Granted the B7 (current model) is improved over the B5, still the balance is not where id like it, the M3 (any of them) would be my personal choice.

Wouldnt turn one down though!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think Top Gear Summed it up quite well when they tested the RS4, the M3 and the Merc. They are all great cars, none is significantly better than the others overall, its more of a personality thing... The Merc is more for the older gentleman, the RS4 is best suited for the younger yet still quite reserved man, and the M3 is for the wild at heart.

I'd have the M3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DU.LLAHAN

AudiChris wrote: »
    I haven't driven one in anger, only parked it - what a noise!

I haven't, but this man has - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNAE7e9JTXo

A couple of people in the garage have been in one and given it socks - general consensus is that it's a proper "lottery car". Astonishing...

Yeah i goin to buy one on mon when i win the lotto tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

What about this one

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/RS4/4.2-Fsi/1034298/

NEW PRICE 116,000, NOW 89,950

Thats some discount for a few months old with only 5k kms on the clock!!

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Yet again E92 somehow turns another thread into a BMW discussion. Give it a rest will you?
    Dude you're not HarshSlinging by any chance(like you he has seizues every time BMW is mentioned too)? 2 other posters mentioned BMW before I did, but it appears you "missed" *cough* that? You also missed my shock horror praise of not 1 but 2 Audis, but then again someone who obviously didn't bother reading this thread properly couldn't possibly have seen that:rolleyes:.

But I suppose someone who names themselves after a VAG product couldn't possibly be biased even slightly?

Bit uncalled for, the M3 is the direct competitor to the RS4 so its a fair post IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd have the M3 on a track and the RS4 on windy Irish backroads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

My name has nothing to do with cars and more to do with a mythological greek god.
    you brought up the m3 like it was the subject of this thread, others just mentioned it in passing. I can't stand fanboys like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

My name has nothing to do with cars and more to do with a mythological greek god.
    you brought up the m3 like it was the subject of this thread, others just mentioned it in passing. I can't stand fanboys like yourself.

E92's contribution to this thread has been a lot more usefiul than yours - what is it they say - Don't feed the trolls!

Well lads ive had a test drive today and bought this!! Collecting it in two weeks. Incidentally dropped in to a BMW dealership on the way to have one last look over the M3, lovely car, but the interior is so plain and like a 318i. For a car that price the interior must be special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

MSporty wrote: »
    Well lads ive had a test drive today and bought this!! Collecting it in two weeks. Incidentally dropped in to a BMW dealership on the way to have one last look over the M3, lovely car, but the interior is so plain and like a 318i. For a car that price the interior must be special.

Is that an RS4? Look savage. Well wear, keep her betweeen the ditches.

Victor_M wrote: »
    Is that an RS4? Look savage. Well wear, keep her betweeen the ditches.

Thanks. It has a titanium pack, gunmetal alloys and mirrors. Matt black exhaust pipes. Looks evil :cool:

Lovely motor, I presume the M-Sport username will be no more. ;)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

55040.jpg
    :cool:

...lucky b@stard:D

Ha ha that was just a bit of a ruse!! Never even had a BMW before. Have to say dont think i'd ever buy one now, the dealership experience is disgraceful

Your not the first person I've heard saying that. A friend of a friend who owns his own carpentry business went into a very well known Cork BMW dealers one evening on the hunt for a new 335.

Based on the fact that he had his work clothes on they shoved a used car stock list in his face and basically left him with it. Shocking. My dad bought a new A4 last christmas and the Audi guys were fantastic, no spiel and they knew the motor inside out, very good aftersales too.

Nice motor. Can I *ahem* look after it *ahem* sometime for a weekend(actually make it a couple of weeks):D?

Disappointed to hear about your experience with the BMW garage. I'm surprised as this is the first time in all my time on boards hearing something as negative as that. And I see that bigkev49 has posted about a similarly awful experience with a BMW garage too. Oh well, their loss is your gain;)!

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    Nice motor. Can I *ahem* look after it *ahem* sometime for a weekend(actually make it a couple of weeks):D?

Disappointed to hear about your experience with the BMW garage. I'm surprised as this is the first time in all my time on boards hearing something as negative as that. And I see that bigkev49 has posted about a similarly awful experience with a BMW garage too. Oh well, their loss is your gain;)!

Yeah, ive been told that BMW service can be quite good. What annoyed me is that they were giving me a decent trade in price the first time I was there but they would only give me a 2000 euro off a demo with 4500 kms on the clock. And they had a big sob story too, it was hard to take in considering I was sitting in the busiest BMW dealership in Ireland. Second time I went back a month later to try and do deal on the same demo. This time the original salesman wasnt there and another guy actually told me it would cost me two grand more than the first time to change cars, what a chancer.Incidentally two weeks later they dropped the price of the demo by 4 grand. Cant understand why on my second visit they werent able to offer me the reduced price. This demo car now has 9,000 kms on the clock and is now nearly 5 months old, gonna be hard to sell that car now with all that VRT nonsense in peoples heads.

Advertisement