Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know the driving test route in Sligo?

Options
  • 25-04-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can anybody help me? I will be taking my driving test soon. I failed my first one a few years ago in Dublin. Is there a designated route these guys use or does it change from time to time. If anyone has taken the test recently in Sligo, could you tell me what route they took you on. It might be an advantage if only to get a bit of practice on.
    Thanks,:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I heard there were three routes they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Xiney wrote: »
    I heard there were three routes they use.

Thanks Xiney, I thought that all right but there is one they use a lot more often. I think it depends on the time of day, traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

It depends on who your doing your driving test with.Both SGS and NRa take different routes.
    I know SGS's most common route-Out of driving centre and turn right onto old Dublin road,continue to Carroaroe Roundabout and take the 3rd exit heading up Pearse Road,continue past Markevicz Park and turn left in towards crozon.Do the reverse around the corner at the first turn up to the left.Once thats done,continue into crozon and go into any of the estates and do your 3 point turn.Go to crozon roundabout and take the 3rd exit,up past summerhill and down Gallows hill,straight through the traffic lights and turn left immediately after the Ark bar and then go through the crossroads towards the Hawkswell.When the Hawkwekk is on your right,you will be turning left and at the traffic lights turn right to go back up Gallows Hill and half way up you will do the hill start.Then at crozon roundabout take the 3rd exit to go towards the Dual Carriageway and take the Dublin exit.If you have lasted this long then take the Carraroe exit and take the 2nd exit,and continue back towards the Test centre.

Hope this was some help to you..its fairly detailed,just hope you know your way around the town and can follow the instructions.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    It depends on who your doing your driving test with.Both SGS and NRa take different routes.
    I know SGS's most common route-Out of driving centre and turn right onto old Dublin road,continue to Carroaroe Roundabout and take the 3rd exit heading up Pearse Road,continue past Markevicz Park and turn left in towards crozon.Do the reverse around the corner at the first turn up to the left.Once thats done,continue into crozon and go into any of the estates and do your 3 point turn.Go to crozon roundabout and take the 3rd exit,up past summerhill and down Gallows hill,straight through the traffic lights and turn left immediately after the Ark bar and then go through the crossroads towards the Hawkswell.When the Hawkwekk is on your right,you will be turning left and at the traffic lights turn right to go back up Gallows Hill and half way up you will do the hill start.Then at crozon roundabout take the 3rd exit to go towards the Dual Carriageway and take the Dublin exit.If you have lasted this long then take the Carraroe exit and take the 2nd exit,and continue back towards the Test centre.

Hope this was some help to you..its fairly detailed,just hope you know your way around the town and can follow the instructions.

Fair play to you Bobcar61. I will have a go at that tomorrow sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Jabby wrote: »
    Fair play to you Bobcar61. I will have a go at that tomorrow sometime.

Your best bet would be to take a few lessons from the instructors in sligo (I would recommend Michael Conlon) They will be able to tell you the most common routes that the testers take, and will also tell you their habits and temprement, that sort of stuff.

For example, I was doing my Articulated test and the instructor told me to take it slowly over a certain road because the quality of the road was quite poor. The tester had a bad back, and going too fast would piss him off. That sort of stuff

• Advertisement

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to take a few lessons from the instructors in sligo (I would recommend Michael Conlon) They will be able to tell you the most common routes that the testers take, and will also tell you their habits and temprement, that sort of stuff.

For example, I was doing my Articulated test and the instructor told me to take it slowly over a certain road because the quality of the road was quite poor. The tester had a bad back, and going too fast would piss him off. That sort of stuff

Interesting suggestions Big Mac, and things there you would never think of. I've just had a look at Sligo on Google maps and those instructions were spot on Bobcar61. Thanks again.

No problem Jabby,most testers take roughly the same route but just a slightly different variant.
    As Big_Mac said,I would also take lessons,I took mine with Gay Devaney,she was brilliant and has a very high pass rate.She can be tough on you but I think thats good.
    I used Gay as my instructor for the 3rd time I was doing my test which was the end of January(I had no prep for my first 2) and I thought the lessons made a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'd recommend Andrew Murray , quite tough on you but it's only when you take the test that you are glad of his thoroughness .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Patsy Gallagher - Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Gillie wrote: »
    Patsy Gallagher - Legend!

i will second patsy.
    he is a gentleman
    good crack too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Fair play to you Bob. i just did my test on Good Friday (it was too phew) and I was stretching hard to remember the routes. That area round Crozen, most of those side streets you'll need to get used to. That reverse round the corner at the pub is particularly difficult. Bizarrely the left into the test centre is extremely tight too so you'll need to do the whole route.
    My instructor was a Martin Cunningham, I quite liked him as he was very straight talking. He also had all these little memonics to help you remember. Things like BBC (Brake Before Clutch!), which for the hard of thinking like me were very useful. :D

Thanks again everybody for your helpful suggestions. They were great.
    Now for the test.....

Good luck with it...hopefully with enough practice it should go to plan:D

Good Luck!!

ooh new smiley :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When is your test Jabby?

(I need to make sure we're all in off the streets :D)

Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Yeah, good luck with the test Jabby. Let us know how it goes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Good luck and if it does nt work out don'nt woorry, just put in for it again asap. Whats for you wont pass you and all that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Sorry for dragging up this thread but does anyone else know the other 2 test routes SGS do?? i have my test this week and bricking it. BTW great description of the first route!!

I never noticed your good wishes re the Driving test until now so thank you Bob Car, Xiney, Sueme, Big Mac and Tuppence and everyone else. It was the end of May and ......I failed. One stupid mistake on the roundabout and some 'turning right bo-bo's done the trick.
    Fairly dents one's confidence I can tell you. Thanks anyway folks for the good wishes. Next one is coming up soon.
    ;)
    I will let you know Sueme in plenty of time.

Aw, that's tough luck.

Also, kind of disheartening. I'm planning on attempting the whole licensing thing myself soon :(

• Advertisement

I suppose nerves played a big part in it too. It's like everything else, the next time shouldn't be as bad once you know what to expect. My advice to you is to try and relax as much as possible and drive as you normally would.. only a little more careful. I will try and do the same.

Good luck with it,

J.

you're funny.

Drive as you normally would? I normally drive a bicycle. normally through red lights.

You know there are times when I wish that I had a bicycle....every time I'm in the filling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

have test on Friday with SGS. Any tips or route information welcome.Please.

Can't remember much about it I'm afraid as I was doing so badly. After I made my third stupid mistake, I was only interested in getting to the finish line.

Good luck with your driving test.

RE Red Bellied:I did my test with SGS so see my previous post near the start of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

read your earlier post. think that is the usual route - slight change at moment as Gallows Hill closed. SGS had a better pass rate compared to rsa. They are getting tough from now on.
    http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000003681

Advertisement