Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missed opportunities??? (Relationships/Chats)

• 25-04-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Has anyone ever missed the chance to chat to a guy/girl that they liked or saw on the street etc that they really wanted to talk to but didn't?? What did they do afterwards....kick themselves or try and find them? I ask these things because this is what happened to me today.....

I was in H.M.V. earlier and I was watching the security guard playing Wii Fit on the Nintendo Wii.....he looked very funny seeing as he was doing the hula hoop thing (swivling his hips).....anyway this really cute girl came in and looked at him (as though to say what on earth are you doing) I looked up and smiled right at her and she smiled back....

She looked at some stuff on the shelves and I started to do the same but in a different section...she came over to where I went and stood right beside me....I moved away from her a little bit and she moved over beside me. She then went to another section so I slowly went over to where she was..... This going back and forth happened for at least 20 minutes (NO EXAGGERATION I PROMISE!!! ).

Anyway she went up to the till so a few seconds later so did I....She then left H.M.V. and through the window I could see her waiting outside....There was a problem with the till when it was my turn so I was waiting about 3 mins to pay for my CD....and she was still standing outside! Finally paid for my CD and left but no sign of her then.....Hung around and walked up and down the street but no sign of her....

Stayed in town for 2 hours after that and still didn't encounter her.....I'm annoyed with myself....If she was still outside when I left the shop I so would have started to chat to her... Anyone else have something like this happen to them?? If so what did you do???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are you sure? You stayed in town for two hours on the off chance you'd see her again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Carpe Diem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Bummer dude, looks like you missed your soul mate, ah ! there is always the next life..............knock one out anyways, least you deserve after walking 2 hours trying to bump into her !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I was working in the Savoy when Angelina Jolie was knocking around for the Alexander premier. I swear she looked me right in the eyes and winked. Or maybe it was Mick Lally.

Either way I missed out on some celebrity ass that night. Damn my shyness :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    Has anyone ever missed the chance to chat to a guy/girl that they liked or saw on the street etc that they really wanted to talk to but didn't?? What did they do afterwards....kick themselves or try and find them? I ask these things because this is what happened to me today.....

I was in H.M.V. earlier and I was watching the security guard playing Wii Fit on the Nintendo Wii.....he looked very funny seeing as he was doing the hula hoop thing (swivling his hips).....anyway this really cute girl came in and looked at him (as though to say what on earth are you doing) I looked up and smiled right at her and she smiled back....

She looked at some stuff on the shelves and I started to do the same but in a different section...she came over to where I went and stood right beside me....I moved away from her a little bit and she moved over beside me. She then went to another section so I slowly went over to where she was..... This going back and forth happened for at least 20 minutes (NO EXAGGERATION I PROMISE!!! ).

Anyway she went up to the till so a few seconds later so did I....She then left H.M.V. and through the window I could see her waiting outside....There was a problem with the till when it was my turn so I was waiting about 3 mins to pay for my CD....and she was still standing outside! Finally paid for my CD and left but no sign of her then.....Hung around and walked up and down the street but no sign of her....

Stayed in town for 2 hours after that and still didn't encounter her.....I'm annoyed with myself....If she was still outside when I left the shop I so would have started to chat to her... Anyone else have something like this happen to them?? If so what did you do???

You definitely would have talked to her? After spending nigh on half an hour not talking to her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

FAIL

Youve probably lost your one chance at love, now you going to regret it for the rest of your life....

I am joking BTW, at least next time you will be more forward, you will... wont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CJay

Ah, you should have started chatting after the first 10 mins...
    At that way you could have used whatever she was looking at as an ice breaker...would have been harder to come up with conversation outside.

CJay wrote: »
    Ah, you should have started chatting after the first 10 mins...
    At that way you could have used whatever she was looking at as an ice breaker...would have been harder to come up with conversation outside.

the more i think about this the " rubbing against her" move would have worked better......that combined with heavy breathing/grunting in her ear !! winner move ftw !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Well no offence but if i went into a shop and was looking for something and had to move around a good bit to find it- then was waiting outside for a taxi or a mate and a guy from inside came up and started talking to me id be like "Huh"

But hey thats just me :confused:

oleras wrote: »
    the more i think about this the " rubbing against her" move would have worked better......that combined with heavy breathing/grunting in her ear !! winner move ftw !!

True, it never fails to make the knees shudder :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't forget the old "searching for change in my pocket" move as well. Nothing turns a woman on more than seeing a guy secretly jack off in public.

Don't forget the old "searching for change in my cut out pocket"

Fixed that for ya !

Fixed that for ya !

Thank you, wasn't making a lick of sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sherifu wrote: »
    Carpe Diem.

Simple but true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I don't talk to strangers a lot. They go away and i don't give a damn.

Stop stalking people.

Real advice. Just say something to someone in future. Even if it's a couple sentence conversation that is cut shot by them moving off. At least you won't start threads later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Maybe she thought you were gay when she caught you eyeing up the security guard playing with his wii thing. Some girls like to have a gay as a friend, a sort of fashion accessory, and introduce him to her friends and make em mad jealous. She just didn't know how to break the ice.

Anyway, if she couldn't wait a few minutes for you to get served and join her outside for another bout of looking and following then good riddance to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Looks like she missed out on a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

Thanks to the people who posted genuine replies. There are always a few who insist in posting unnecessary comments.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    Stop stalking people.

I was not stalking her. Stalking implies that one person is following another person. We were following (if you want to call it that) EACH OTHER around the shop.

Google is good for definitions if you don't know the meaning of something

Thrill wrote: »
    playing with his wii thing.

it is called a Nintendo Wii
    Thrill wrote: »

Anyway, if she couldn't wait a few minutes for you to get served and join her outside for another bout of looking and following then good riddance to her.

thanks I appreciate you saying that.

Thanks to the people who posted genuine replies. There are always a few who insist in posting unnecessary comments. Oh and to the person who said stop stalking I was not stalking her. Read my post and it is obvious

I read the end of your post in particular and see the oppposite. But maybe i'm just a cynic. I gave the basic but all too true advice at the end of my own post.

• Advertisement

I was not stalking her. Stalking implies that one person is following another person. We were following (if you want to call it that) EACH OTHER around the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There is not a person alive who has not missed opurtunitys with the oppisite sex.Somtimes it's because we dont read the correct signals or perhaps read into them wrong and assume (wrongly ) that sombody might be eyeing you up ,but either way it can happen to you many times and you think , yeah what if .A friend once told me sombody was intrested in me ,only problem was he told me 3 years to late and i was oblivious to knowing anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

Feckin stalker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

Sorry to hear that OP, better luck next time. Maybe you'll see her back there again someday.

Mine is this one time when this amazingly beautiful girl was waiting on the lift when I got there. I looked at the panel and saw that she was repeatedly pressing the button for the floor we were already on. I was about to press my number when on a whim I pressed the doors close button instead, and they did. We stand there for about 20 seconds in the nonmoving lift, then she goes "Is the lift stuck?" (obviously not the brightest), I chicken out and say "ah... no" and press my floor's button. I so could've fooled her, it was a deserted building at the end of the day and all, so it could've been ages before anyone else called the lift. All I had to do was pretend to press a few buttons.

thanks latchyco that was a nice comment
    Feckin stalker.
    I am not a stalker! We were following each other around the shop. Stalking implies that one person is following each other.......Gees use google if you don't have a clue what something means! :eek:

Sorry to hear that OP, better luck next time. Maybe you'll see her back there again someday.

Mine is this one time when this amazingly beautiful girl was waiting on the lift when I got there. I looked at the panel and saw that she was repeatedly pressing the button for the floor we were already on. I was about to press my number when on a whim I pressed the doors close button instead, and they did. We stand there for about 20 seconds in the nonmoving lift, then she goes "Is the lift stuck?" (obviously not the brightest), I chicken out and say "ah... no" and press my floor's button. I so could've fooled her, it was a deserted building at the end of the day and all, so it could've been ages before anyone else called the lift. All I had to do was pretend to press a few buttons.

sorry to hear you had a missed experience also! it's great when other people post genuine responses! just goes to show you and some other people read my post in its entirety before commenting and doing things like not knowing the definition of stalking

The end of your post man. Walking up and down the street seeking her out. Now that i think about it how do you know she was following you around and not simply doing what you were doing? Checking out a few CDs? Who did most of the following? 50/50 would you say? Question mark?

One redeemable part of your story is that if found you would of actually talked to her. So benefit of the doubt, my comment remains tounge in cheek which is where yours was during the event you describe, hence the story.

Hard luck, maybe next time hey! :pac::pac:

The end of your post man. Walking up and down the street seeking her out.

I was looking to see if I could see her so that I could say hello. I was not following her as I did not know where she went. Yes if I knew where she went then I would have been following her which I wasn't.
    Now that i think about it how do you know she was following you around and not simply doing what you were doing?

because of the way she was acting and she was specifically standing right beside me even when I moved right to the end of the room
    Checking out a few CDs?
    yes and DVDs too
    Who did most of the following? 50/50 would you say?

yes it was 50/50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I very much doubt you'd have struck up a conversation with her when she was standing outside. You had your chance and you blew it (sounds like she gave you many opportunities), get over it.

Sounds like you did most of the following though, you big stalker.

• Advertisement

After much re-reading(ok, 1 real read, not a skim through) Take it to PI, there you will get people that feel sorry for you and agree with your weekness and maybe offer such advice as "join a club" or such, dont go there myself as i know i would be beaten with a stick if i offered any adive to the people that post there. Attention whores ftw !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Look on the bright side. Maybe she was waiting for an extremely jealous boyfriend outside HMV when you were paying for your stuff. Move on.

Could be worse. You could have fell for her ,stuck up a relationship for over 6 months or so by which time you would be madly in love with her and then she dumps you for no reason what so ever.

Women can be fickle and the cat doesn't always get the cream

Now ask yourself, did you really want to go out with sombody like that ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Big stalker head on ya ;)

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Look you seem like a nice guy and all but don't feel bad about not being able to find her outside the shop. Fact is you wouldn't have talked to her there either if your story is anything to go by. You had plenty of chances. A glance and a smile happen all the time. God everytime you walk through a door at the same time as someone of the opposite sex you do that. Next time you get a vibe like that just say hi or how's it goin excuse me anything.
    This hardly amounts to a real missed opportunity.

When i was 18 i went to my cousins for the weekend. He had this neighbour who was about a year younger than me. Anyway we ended up spending the whole weekend together hanging out (me my cousin her and her friend). I had never before got on so well with a girl so quickly we had a great laugh. We went out that night to the pub, she had a boyfriend at the time so nothin happened there with us. After the pub i drove us all home after i dropped off the cous. i went to drop her off but ended up spending hours talking and ,now don't cringe, singing and playing guitar. I really fancied her but tbh i knew she had a bf so never made a move. We spent the whole next day together alone walking and chatting about just about everything. Again nothing happened.

I had a serious serious crush on this girl for the longest time and we even txted each other a bit but i nvr told her. Even got an occasional e-mail off her over the years.

Anyway one night a few years later i had to call my cousin for whatever reason i don't remember but he was at a party and the girl was there too and she heard it was me on the phone. So she gets on the phone we say hi and exchange all the usual pleasantries and she then proceeds to tell me that she had a serious serious crush on me for a long time after that weekend and had always wanted to meet up again. I didn't really know what to say and she immediately expressed regret because she was drunk and felt embarrassed. We hung up. That was the last time we spoke to each other. Must be 4 years ago now.

I am with a girl now for just over 2 and a half years that i love very very much and wouldn't leave for anything or anyone. But i will always wonder about that girl.

The one that got away eh...? Anyway thats my story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Don't feel too bad. When i was a young nipper I was at the leaving cert celebrations for some kids a year ahead of me.

One of the girls in the group walked up behind my chiar, leaned over me, put her arms around my neck, and whispered in ym ear "I'm a really easy lay". Awesome, right? And what was my response you ask? I turned around and fixed her with a quizical look, head slightly tilted to one side (not unlike many curious dogs), and said

"WHAT are you talking about????"

I **** thee not....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don't feel too bad. When i was a young nipper I was at the leaving cert celebrations for some kids a year ahead of me.

One of the girls in the group walked up behind my chiar, leaned over me, put her arms around my neck, and whispered in ym ear "I'm a really easy lay". Awesome, right? And what was my response you ask? I turned around and fixed her with a quizical look, head slightly tilted to one side (not unlike many curious dogs), and said

"WHAT are you talking about????"

I **** thee not....:rolleyes:

:) Thanks for that man i was actually beginning to get a bit melancholy but thats cheered me up no end. big lolage. Bet it still bites though. When did you realise what you had done... or not done... You know what you had missed.

+ 1 ,have we not all being there at one time angry ? Full on in the prime of youth is freaky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

DanGerMus wrote: »
    :) Thanks for that man i was actually beginning to get a bit melancholy but thats cheered me up no end. big lolage. Bet it still bites though. When did you realise what you had done... or not done... You know what you had missed.

Man I routinely blink and suddenly remember opportunities I missed. let's see.....oh yeah, french college when I was 16! Man....man...geez.....I missed SOOOOO many opportunities there. In particular there was this redhead (god I love redheads) was moseying through the main recreation area at clongowes, and she calls out "oh hey podge!", I look at her, wave, and go "oh hey", I think i may have thrown her "the fonze" too...3 years later i realised she'd been flirting with me for the entire tiem i was at french school :p

Finally, when i was an undergrad (about 5 years ago i guess), one day I was walking toward the entrance byt eh chapel in UCC. I happened by a girl from my course. now this girl, was stunning, as in model stunning, and she had the body to back it up. So she falls into step next to me and strikes up a conversation. There was something or other on the next day, and everyone was skipping the lecture, so she jokingly mentioned this to me assuming I'd be skipping the lecture and attending whatever it was.

Like a true romantic I looked at her as though she'd jsut told me her secret fetish was gumming homeless guys, raised my eyebrow in disapproval and exclaimed "uhhhh...what?"

Guys even today I completely miss women flirting with me. And I've had some....interesting adventures with some interesting ladies, so it's not like I don't know what the cues are.

Chalk it up to experience and lash yoruself no more :D

rb_ie wrote: »
    I very much doubt you'd have struck up a conversation with her when she was standing outside. You had your chance and you blew it (sounds like she gave you many opportunities), get over it.

Sounds like you did most of the following though, you big stalker.

are you stupid? if you read the previous posts you would see that the following was 50/50 and that stalking is 1 person following another NOT 2 people following each other....why on earth am I repeating myself so many times :confused:

After much re-reading(ok, 1 real read, not a skim through) Take it to PI, there you will get people that feel sorry for you and agree with your weekness and maybe offer such advice as "join a club" or such, dont go there myself as i know i would be beaten with a stick if i offered any adive to the people that post there. Attention whores ftw !

Are you sure you read it?? I was not looking for people to feel sorry for me or to agree to my weaknes.. All I asked was:

"Anyone else have something like this happen to them?? If so what did you do???"

I did not ask anyone to comment on my own situation.

• Advertisement

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Fact is you wouldn't have talked to her there either if your story is anything to go by.

yes I would have spoken to her if I saw her again!

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Big stalker head on ya ;)

:p

if you read the previous posts you would see that the following was 50/50 and that stalking is 1 person following another NOT 2 people following each other....why on earth am I repeating myself so many times

are you stupid? if you read the previous posts you would see that the following was 50/50 and that stalking is 1 person following another NOT 2 people following each other....why on earth am I repeating myself so many times :confused:

Doesn't sound like it was 50/50 from the way you described it. "I followed her to the till" etc etc.

But you wouldn't have really. You think you might have, but in reality you'd have bottled it like you did with your other chances. Just accept that and forget about it.

Doesn't sound like it was 50/50 from the way you described it. "I followed her to the till" etc etc.

But you wouldn't have really. You think you might have, but in reality you'd have bottled it like you did with your other chances. Just accept that and forget about it.

did you miss when I said in my original post that "she came over to where I went and stood right beside me....I moved away from her a little bit and she moved over beside me"........so it was defo 50/50

I certainly would have spoken to her if I saw her outside that is a fact.

did you miss when I said in my original post that "she came over to where I went and stood right beside me....I moved away from her a little bit and she moved over beside me"........so it was defo 50/50

The Gardaí would think differently.
    pinkmonkey wrote:

I certainly would have spoken to her if I saw her outside that is a fact.

Lol, what makes you think this? You followed her around a shop for 20 minutes and couldn't muster up the courage to say Hi to her, why would it be any different outside? If anything, at least you had something to open with inside the store whereas outside all you could really talk about is your stalking.

Come on man be honest with yourself, you had a lot of chances you think one more would have made a differance.
    If you really really look deep inside and think very very hard about all your actions can you truely say without any shadow of a doubt you would have said something given one more chance.
    Look man don't take me the wrong way either i'm not judging you and i'm not taking the piss either ok, seriously i'm not.
    I've had similar experiences jees i have em everyday right now there is this girl in work who i exchange glances and smiles with every day and i'm convinced if i cracked up some conversation with soon we'd be makin sweet love in the storage closet for months before we both leave our respective partners and ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after. Fact is it's fantasy. Everyone fantasises every day about everything they've ever done and how they'ed change it all if only the could go do or say tat one thing they wish they had. As you get older you realise more and more that it is just a dream and it's normal to have these thoughts and feelings all the time it's part of being human. I see girls every other day on the street and on tv that i conjur up entire new lives with in a heartbeat falling in and instantly out of love in the blink of an eye. Fantasys that materialise and fissle out as quickly as an interested glance accross a room a pub or a dvd shelf.
    'Happens all the time and you know what the more you realise how often these fleeting fancies occur the more you can enjoy them and life as you learn not to dwell on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The Gardaí would think differently.

Lol, what makes you think this? You followed her around a shop for 20 minutes and couldn't muster up the courage to say Hi to her, why would it be any different outside? If anything, at least you had something to open with inside the store whereas outside all you could really talk about is your stalking.

Do you know how ridiculous your posts sound?

Either you
    a) have no idea what it feels like to be attracted by the opposite sex
    b) do have an idea but are too afraid to do anything about it
    c) are jealous of the fact that other people can have flirty little moments without shunning it off as "omg I'm SUCH a stalker"
    or
    d)just like trolling

The OP was giving an account of his experience of a nice little encounter he had with a girl who seemed to feel the same way. Maaaaybe the girl didn't feel the same way and just so happened to be interested in the same CD or DVD section as the OP twice, enough so that even though this "weird" guy was giving her looks all the time she'd vulnerably position herself right by him in order to shuffle through the stack of CDs she was interested in but which was oh so inconveniently in the same section as same weird guy.

Get out of your arse and stop trying to buzz-kill the OP for the sake of buzz-kill.

Cianos wrote: »
    Do you know how ridiculous your posts sound?

Either you
    a) have no idea what it feels like to be attracted by the opposite sex
    b) do have an idea but are too afraid to do anything about it
    c) are jealous of the fact that other people can have flirty little moments without shunning it off as "omg I'm SUCH a stalker"
    or
    d)just like trolling

The OP was giving an account of his experience of a nice little encounter he had with a girl who seemed to feel the same way. Maaaaybe the girl didn't feel the same way and just so happened to be interested in the same CD or DVD section as the OP twice, enough so that even though this "weird" guy was giving her looks all the time she'd vulnerably position herself right by him in order to shuffle through the stack of CDs she was interested in but which was oh so inconveniently in the same section as same weird guy.

Get out of your arse and stop trying to buzz-kill the OP for the sake of buzz-kill.

Lol lighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Lol lighten up.

You pushed your point on OP 3 or 4 times throughout the thread. I don't think sentiments are levelled here for some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

back on topic..
    fcuck yeah, lock of years ago a lassie i was gettin fairly friendly with in the slieve russell nightclub in cavan, chattin away to her, almost definitely would have got off with her, but was havin too much craic with mates so didnt really grab the chance.., didnt realise who she was(tho at the time probably wouldnt have made much diffrence) till the next day when one of the lads told me i shud hav gone for it,low and behold,it was sean quinns daughter!!
    id now be typing this on a gold plated keyboard if id have gone for it maybe, saw her wedding a couple of months ago in all the papers... aaaaaaH missed opportunities indeed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement