Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Not Working

Options
  • 25-04-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

RIELLO 40 G3B DB 3743751

Hi, my central heating has been having problems over the last 2 weeks, and now has stopped working completely.

The system is a "RIELLO 40 G3B DB 3743751W". A couple of weeks ago the system didn't come on as it should have, so I hit the Red Reset Button and it fired up first time. Since then I've had to hit the button every night, but it only stayed on for less than an hour. Now tonight it won't fire up no matter how many times I hit the reset button.

I have a full tank of oil, and I have opened the nut on the boiler where you bleed the oil and the flow is good.

Can anyone suggest how I can "fix" the boiler, as I don't fancy paying a plumber unless I have to.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Has it been serviced regularly ? If you are using gas oil (diesel), you may have a build up of dirt around the nozzle and electrodes. This would be why you get it to fire sometimes and other times you might not get a spark or steady flame. This can also happen with kerosene, but not as much. An oil boiler should be serviced once a year, and usually you won't have problems.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 prometheus413

boiler could be air locked, there should be a "Screw" on the boiler to release the air. happens to my boiler all the time. search google how to bleed you boiler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

boiler could be air locked, there should be a "Screw" on the boiler to release the air. happens to my boiler all the time. search google how to bleed you boiler.

That means you have a bad leak ,you will be plagued by corosion if it's not fixed! :(

OP : As jim says have it serviced ,sometimes it can be the pump on the way out aswell.
    A plumber will know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

try cleaning the photo-optic cell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Call4it

It was the photo-optic cell. Quick wipe with a rag and all is well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Call4it wrote: »
    It was the photo-optic cell. Quick wipe with a rag and all is well.

If the photocell was dirty, it is the sign of another problem. Either you have a downdraft, wind blowing in the exhaust vent, the adjustments are completely off, or the boiler is very dirty and blocked up. If the boiler has not been cleaned out recently it will be very un-economical.
    Jim.

Advertisement