Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engadget reveals some (unconfirmed) details on 3G iPhone..

• 25-04-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

So we've got it on authority that the second-gen iPhone is already well into testing, and numerous units are floating around in super secret pockets. A trusted source got a chance to check one out, here's what we've heard.

* The first thing people will notice: the 2nd gen iPhone will tbe about the same size and shape as the first gen.
    * It will, of course, have 3G. And proper GPS!
    * The most noticeable physical difference is back of the phone is no longer metal -- the whole thing is glossy black, from top to bottom. The volume buttons are now chrome.
    * Because it's got a little less metal to deal with, it doesn't have quite as many angular edges. The battery is (still) not removable.
    * The phone itself will be slightly thicker than the first gen device.
    * The headphone jack will no longer be recessed, and will finally be flush with the body.
    * The device itself uses roughly the same size and resolution screen as the first generation product.
    * No solid word on battery life or storage capacity.

It could ship (or be introduced) as early as July -- but it's worth noting that none of this is necessarily finalized, and any of it could change between now and its introduction. You really never know with Apple!

Source article

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wanted a white one

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

I just bought an iPhone last month, so you may consider this slightly sour grapes, but I knew a 3G iPhone was enevitable and didn't care.

Anyway, my Edge iPhone is a dog for battery life, so there is a good chance the 3G one could be atrocious. Maybe that is why it is thicker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Is this just 3G or is it proper HSDPA.
    TBH 3G is becoming dated at this stage- HSDPA/3.5G is kinda needed for a proper broadband experience on a handset.

Edit: Proper inbuilt GPS has been knocking around for the past 2-3 years on handsets so that's not really something to get that excited about.
    Also it's only a matter of time before other manufacturers like HTC start to emulate the only really great thing about the iphone- ie its user interface.
    e.g HTC are announcing their next iteration of their TouchFLO technology which should bring it a step closer to the iphone UI.
    Nokia are bringing out their own touchscreen device so they're probably making inroads in that regard as well.
    I get the feeling the UI difference (the main reason to get an iphone) won't be so significant for that much longer tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh i never think that mobile broadband will be on par with standard broadband.

there's just too much variable and difference between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

mkennedy wrote: »
    Is this just 3G or is it proper HSDPA.
    TBH 3G is becoming dated at this stage- HSDPA/3.5G is kinda needed for a proper broadband experience on a handset.

Edit: Proper inbuilt GPS has been knocking around for the past 2-3 years on handsets so that's not really something to get that excited about.
    Also it's only a matter of time before other manufacturers like HTC start to emulate the only really great thing about the iphone- ie its user interface.
    e.g HTC are announcing their next iteration of their TouchFLO technology which should bring it a step closer to the iphone UI.
    Nokia are bringing out their own touchscreen device so they're probably making inroads in that regard as well.
    I get the feeling the UI difference (the main reason to get an iphone) won't be so significant for that much longer tbh.

agree... Just use mobile shell 2 on an "aged" wm like the tytn I...it's gobsmackingly amazing! And much better multitasking than on the iphone, so I'm quite confident there are some great ui innovations on the horizon (google's android challenge already attracted close to 2000 3rd party entries, so there'll be plenty of novelty as well, and an s60 touch interface might have some good news)... On the other hand of course, apple probably have sth up their sleeves as well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

hope they include a2dp this time, and bluetooth file sending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

You have to hand it to Apple - once again it looks like it's going to be a hype-fest - 'unconfirmed reports' indeed. Anyone vaguely interested in a next gen IPhone would imagine those specs. That article is nothing more than fluff cluttering up my RSS feeds and it's getting a little tired at this point if you ask me.

Advertisement