Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan 300zx

• 25-04-2008 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Hey, my friend offered me his old Nissan 300zx today, its a 1990 3.0 RWD with a bit of a dent in the wing, thats all the damage i can see. Its jet black colour, think its an ok looking car, certainly not the best looking sports car arount at the time. The one thing im leaning towards is the auto box which is fantastic, im a big fan of automatics because of the mileage i do. Hes asking 1000 euro for it. What should i do? Is this cheap? I drove it a few times and think its absolutely fantastic to go, great fun but on the other hand drives beautifully. Are the running costs of this car gonna kill me? What kind of mpg should i expect??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

i dont know much about this car but i'll try answer, cause nobody has posted a reply yet :rolleyes: the 300zx is a sports car so usually you would get a manual gear box but this one is auto, just means it has a lower re-sale value and could mabe be a little more tempermental, i think automatic gear boxes can be difficult and cause problems. if its the twin turbo model it'll drink like crazy, if its not you should be ok, even though its a 3L, but dont expect great mpg. other than that i recon check the clutch breaks give it a service NCT batt and you should be ok. mmm also check the milage, its a big engine so dont worry if its around the 100k mark im sure it can do plenty over that but if it is around there get a mechanic to have a look just to be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

check the clutch? :eek:

colm_mcm wrote: »
    check the clutch? :eek:

emmm yeah?? he's paying 1k for the car, the clutch could easily cost half that! or more!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

its a fricken auto

stecleary wrote: »
    its a fricken auto

ahh ha i was just thinking of everything id do if i was buying a car haha forgot :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

check out www.300zx.co.uk for all your answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

you wanna do high milage on a old auto , someone give this guy the darwin award because the carbs left open ( though that engine could be EFI) but still , high miles = manual.

but sure its heart over fist really , id just pay the 1000 which is ultra cheap , invert the chamber , 1.5 diff it and see how long it takes to kill myself sideways....

classic car none the less

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

i dont know much about this car but i'll try answer, cause nobody has posted a reply yet :rolleyes: the 300zx is a sports car so usually you would get a manual gear box but this one is auto, just means it has a lower re-sale value and could mabe be a little more tempermental, i think automatic gear boxes can be difficult and cause problems. if its the twin turbo model it'll drink like crazy, if its not you should be ok, even though its a 3L, but dont expect great mpg. other than that i recon check the clutch breaks give it a service NCT batt and you should be ok. mmm also check the milage, its a big engine so dont worry if its around the 100k mark im sure it can do plenty over that but if it is around there get a mechanic to have a look just to be safe

Thanks for the replies, im gonna take photos tomorrow and whack em up here for ye. Its the 3 litre non turbo version with the T-Bar roof, only 100k on it, low mileage for a car that old imo, alloys are stock, the car is pretty much stock except for a new dvd player stereo. I have til' next week to decide what im gonna do.

Is the auto box that much of an issue, drives lovely, seems to have some extra settings on it like a power setting which makes the thing crazy and a hold button which as far as i can make out keeps you in one gear. I also prefer auto's, my left knee is crippled!

I'd buy it. tax it 3 months at a time and if it breaks, unless it's cheap to fix, then cut your losses and get rid.

• Advertisement

no i dont really think its that big an issue, but i know if something did go wrong with the gear box it can be very costly, also automatic gear boxes are a specialest thing... spelt wong i think (dyslexic):o

I meant the car in general breaking!

i know i was replying to

Is the auto box that much of an issue, drives lovely, seems to have some extra settings on it like a power setting which makes the thing crazy and a hold button which as far as i can make out keeps you in one gear. I also prefer auto's, my left knee is crippled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I'd buy it. tax it 3 months at a time and if it breaks, unless it's cheap to fix, then cut your losses and get rid.

best advice if seen on this site yet, and at 1k its dirt cheap comared to wat is on carzone at the mo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

When you put it like that :D

Photos to follow tommorow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

DO IT
    Enought of your jib jabber
    BUY IT NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

I have 3 300 zx.Its a great car,if it blows up i might take it off you for parts,If you drive it on you will drink petrol.50 euro is a half tank.auto is a classic as well as the manual.Love this car.AT least its not a bitch car civic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Please read the charter

1. Dont bump up old threads

2. dont post crap like "AT least its not a bitch car civic "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement