Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker spaniel temperament

Options
  • 25-04-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

hi guys, quick question; We have an eight month old male cocker spaniel puppy. He gets very grumpy at nightime & growls if anyone goes near him. During the day hes full of life & fun & very friendly. We're thinking of neuturing him , would this improve his behaviour??? help! we want our playful puppy back!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Neutering is a good idea anyway, responsible thing to do. However I don't think it would improve that behaviour, he could be just exhausted and letting you know, all dogs need some quiet time alone. Or it could be the sign of more problems to come, is he possesive about his sleeping area? If so without tormenting him when he's not in it stand in his bed, let him know you can go there whenever you feel like it because you ..and others in the house do it too..are the boss.

Not sure if this is the best advice it's all I can think of mabey someone else has something more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Another reason for the growling could be that he is afraid and insecure.

Where does he sleep, what are the surroundings/circumstances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

His bed is in the kitchen, but he usually falls asleep on the rug in the sitting room when we are watching tv, if you bend down to rub him he growls. He sometimes growls when he's in his bed & we rub him,He is also very posessive of things, one night he was lying on my bag & every time i tried to take it he growled.Hes only 8months old, i realy want to try & stop this behaviour before he gets any older. We had a dog trainer call out to see him & he suggested grabbing him at the back of his neck when he growled.We tried it & he screeched & howled,its abit cruel- My boyfriend has to do it cause I cant & now i Think the dog is afraid of him- HELP!
    Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Two things:

First of all and most importantly, get him checked by a vet to make absolutely sure that he's alright and not in pain for some reason.

Once that's established, stop pandering to him and let him know decisively that being growled at doesn't wash with you.

You probably tried telling him "no" in a meek fashion already and he doesn't listen, so you need to step up a little. A little play acting is called for.

If he growls at you again, growl back ...only louder and "better". It's a bit more difficult for women, as their voices tend to go high pitched when angry, which isn't really what you're looking for. Doesn't matter what you say to him, just say it as growly and as angrily as you can in a low voice, stamp your foot if you have to, raise your voice but don't shout and move in on him.

The whole action has to be quick and decisive, like a controlled explosion.

(if this sounds ridiculous to you now, by all means practise it without him seeing or hearing you ...because the last thing you want is to break out into a giggly fit or become a dithering mess when it counts)

Done right, he should get the surprise of his life and look a bit shocked ...now send him out immediatedly and don't take no for an answer.

The lesson is: growling at the boss is not tolerated and will earn you a biiig bollocking and separation from the group.

Do that once or twice (if neccesary) and from then on a gentle reminder every now and then should suffice.

No need for physical violence.

Generally speaking, at 8 months he is entering his "rebellious teenager" phase.

Now is the time to watch him, insist on commands being followed perfectly, boundaries not being stretched and don't let him away with little indiscretions.

He will try at all opportunities to see what he can and can't get away with ..make sure he understands exactly what his boundaries are and also that they are the same every time.

thanks so much for all of the advice! was thinking alright it would be no harm to bring him to the vet to have a check up. will try the growling & see how it goes. its time to show him whose the boss!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I would defo take him to the vet and have him checked out .I would also do as peasant says .I am just wondering what colour he is as there where a lot of temperament issues with golden cockers at one time.

yes he is a golden cocker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Try to see if you can get a copy of the dog listener I used her technique's on a dog that was aloud to become aggressive, possive and had bitten twice. I tracked down were she came from as a pup and found that the owner of the mother dog was an alco' who did nothing but scream and shout.The mother dog was a nervous reck but very sweet.The dog molly was to old to brake many habits with but is now fully under control. She those as I say when I say it she'll even tap dance if she knew how and knows she is rewarded for her good behaver. I have watched her in all area's closely( you need to no what triggers the behaver) she is muzzled before leaving the house and is aloud her own space were she is not disturbed (ie a large enclosed bed that she is free to come and go from) and an area she eats from that only I ever step into. Your dog is young and will hopefully learn to come out of these habits. The first thing to do is have him checked over' with the all clear start to ignore him for five minutes every time you enter a room were he is even if he jumps up on you say nothing and walk away if after five minutes he has settled down then go and rub him or acknowledge him in some way this will take about two weeks to work and is something everyone in the house must do. This should be kept up for life. You will see huge results very quickly as I did and from there training is a breeze. I have also started using this on two other rescue dogs who were out of hand when they first came in and now I don't have to worry about being wrestled to the ground as soon as I come down the stairs in the morning.Remove him from the room if possible until he calms down and stops growling then let him back in with out talking to him or showing him attension just carrie on as you were but you must do this the second you hear him growl or he won't put two and two together. Don't forget to reward him for good behaver tho!

And if any one knows were to get a copy of this book I'd love to know the dog eat my last one (just kidding )Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'd honestly get him neutered as well - it'll make life a lot easier for you and the dog! A dog can smell a bitch in heat about 4 miles away apparently - and they'll do all they can to get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Have him checked, Spaniels are susceptable to 'Spaniel Rage Syndrome' (google the condition).

Just something worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Mairt wrote: »
    Have him checked, Spaniels are susceptable to 'Spaniel Rage Syndrome' (google the condition).

Just something worth considering.
    Especially the golden ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

How is the pup doing have you had him checked oh! and agree have him neutered.

Advertisement