Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for cycling to work

Options
  • 25-04-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be cycling to work for the summer months so need to buy a new bike.

Work is 14km away on fairly quiet roads, some of which are a bit hilly though :(

Anyway I'm looking for a recommendation for something lightwight, racing bike style, my budget is very limited so I'll most likely be going for a second hand model

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are looking second-hand, budget around €300-400 and look for entry-level racers like a Trek 1000, Giant SCR 3, etc. 14km is long enough- if you need to carry anything into work I would ensure that you can fit a rack to the bike rather than carrying stuff on your back (most entry level racers will take a rack.)

Size is very important; no point buying something at a good price if it is the wrong size. If you post your height we could give an _approximate_ idea of the sort of size you would be looking for but ultimately you would have to try out the bike to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks, i'm 5ft10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd just like to ask if you're dead set on a racing style bike? If it's just commutin to work, then perhaps a hybrid would do the job for you.

I only suggest it because I was thinking 'racer' on a return to cycling a few years back and the bloke in the shop gave me good advice that a hybrid would suit my needs better. Also, racing style will typically set you back more than a hybrid, imo.

...Just looking to expand your options.

I'd just like to ask if you're dead set on a racing style bike? If it's just commutin to work, then perhaps a hybrid would do the job for you.

I only suggest it because I was thinking 'racer' on a return to cycling a few years back and the bloke in the shop gave me good advice that a hybrid would suit my needs better. Also, racing style will typically set you back more than a hybrid, imo.

...Just looking to expand your options.
    Yeah I hope to do a bit of training too though with the intention of eventually doing a triathalon (im a good swimmer but have never cycled properly)

One of the lads got a nice second hand racer for €350, in a fairly decent condition, would this be an ok price for me to be looking at?

And what size would I need - 5ft10 & 10.5 stone

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

I'm roughly the same size..I have a 56cm and it suits me fine...Make sure to try the bike before you buy...not just the frame but make sure the stem suits you and you're comfortable on the bike.
    For €350 secondhand you should be able to get started no problem with something basic just keep an eye out on adverts.ie/the buy and sell etc...If you're willing to stretch that budget to €600 I am thinking about selling my training bike..

Advertisement