Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old 70s/80s photos of tralee

Options
  • 25-04-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any 70s/80s photos of tralee tucked away in their photo albums,particularly ones with cars in them,like the mart carpark before the multistory was built,that kind of thing. As you might guess from my handle thats my main area of interest!:D

Comments

I don't have any, but Gerard? Gleasure in Maineframe has some pix hanging up if you'd like to look there.
    P.S. Ask him how is Ozzy!!! He might show you a pic of him too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I don't have any, but Gerard? Gleasure in Maineframe has some pix hanging up if you'd like to look there.
    P.S. Ask him how is Ozzy!!! He might show you a pic of him too!!!
    Haha, sounds mysterious!!:D
    I think i might have seen some of those pictures, they were hung up on the wall when there was a bookshop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

As you might guess from my handle thats my main area of interest!:D

you're an ologist?

kerryview wrote: »
    you're an ologist?
    A carchaeologist, an unhealthy interest in old cars etc:D

A carchaeologist, an unhealthy interest in old cars etc:D
    Ok, tell us what you drive. Mines an S-Max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

I drive the wife mad

Ok, tell us what you drive. Mines an S-Max.
    I have a peugeot partner van for everyday use, and for fun an 20,000mile 1983 vauxhall chevette and an 1980 datsun cherry(you cant miss it,its bright yellow:))plus a few other cars that are currently off the road in various states of repair:p
    The s-max is a good old bus, a bit new for me though!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

There is a few pic of the mart [ when it was a mart/carpark in Roundys pub. That picture of Tralee that was in Gleasures/bookshop [is it still there] is great basicaly its all of Tralee from Connelly Park [ well before it was built ] at the top, down to Bothar na Piarsaigh [ before that was built too] at the bottom. I think the original or at least an older bigger copy is hanging in the AIB, it was on the staircase but you cant get access any more since the renovated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Attached is a mystery photo uncovered recently dating from a 1988 tour of Ireland by an English visitor taken of a small hotel/ inn and is '95%' thought to be somewhere in Kerry (Its more likely in/around Killarney than Tralee etc). It could also possibly be in west Limerick or north Cork though?

Can anyone identify the premises/where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Antenna wrote: »
    Attached is a mystery photo uncovered recently dating from a 1988 tour of Ireland by an English visitor taken of a small hotel/ inn and is '95%' thought to be somewhere in Kerry (Its more likely in/around Killarney than Tralee etc). It could also possibly be in west Limerick or north Cork though?

Im taking a guess at this,
    Could it be Darby o Gills in Killarney??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Antenna wrote: »

According to my Dad it's the "Castle Heights" hotel, Cork Road, Killarney. Now called the Killarney Heights.

It's just past Supervalu on the way to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

dh0661 wrote: »
    According to my Dad it's the "Castle Heights" hotel, Cork Road, Killarney. Now called the Killarney Heights.

It's just past Supervalu on the way to Cork.

I can verify this. It's changed a bit though =)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.0592,-9.480858&spn=0.004809,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.059251,-9.481057&panoid=QDFTBPD0ZF-MKAPwPnhEPQ&cbp=12,21.255468999999948,,0,0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

thanks for the responses to my post and solving that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Does anyone have any 70s/80s photos of tralee tucked away in their photo albums,particularly ones with cars in them,like the mart carpark before the multistory was built,that kind of thing. As you might guess from my handle thats my main area of interest!:D

Hi OP, I know you asked this question back in 2008 but seeing as the thread has resurrected itself, I would suggest you check out kennellyarchive.com if you are not already familiar with it. While it only goes up to 1973, it would give you a lot of pictures from Tralee from the earlier part of the era you are asking about. My partner is big into vintage tractors and loved all the old MF20/35/135/Ford Dexta photos from past county fairs/ Paddy Day parades and all sorts of other rural imagery. The search tool they have is great for narrowing down your requirements. I loved seeing pictures of my street from the 1950s.

I have checked that out, its a hell of a collection of pics!
    Apparently theres plans to extend ot from 1973 onwards, which would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Im taking a guess at this,
    Could it be Darby o Gills in Killarney??
    i thought that also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Is it just still photos that you are after. I got my Dad's old cine film collection put onto dvd and there might be some stuff from Tralee in the 1970s. I know his old Hillman Avenger makes an appearance. TIN 883, ah the memories. He put over 100,000 miles on it and then it went on to have another life as a taxi !

jos28 wrote: »
    Is it just still photos that you are after. I got my Dad's old cine film collection put onto dvd and there might be some stuff from Tralee in the 1970s. I know his old Hillman Avenger makes an appearance. TIN 883, ah the memories. He put over 100,000 miles on it and then it went on to have another life as a taxi !

That's the kind of stuff alright, street scenes and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I'll have a look and see what I can find so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

jos28 wrote: »

I would love to see some of that footage too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement