Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IGN gives GTA IV 10/10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Nice

I just hope it lives up to my own expectations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Unsurprising.

video review: http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/793799/grand-theft-auto-iv/videos/gta4_review_042508.html

I'm more interested to see what the more harsh reviewers give it (gamecentral, edge etc.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cant wait for this :D, looks absolutely brill, must be ace for IGN to give a 10 :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

"For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.
    "

I guess that argument is ended..... finally....

Still gonna buy both though, cos live is better than PSN

Ill play single player on ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Wow never seen a game rated so high in all areas. But it will be interesting to read other reviews. Ever since that gamespot assassin creed debacle you just cant be sure anymore....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Video review ftw. I saw a Pagani Zonda in there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Stephen wrote: »
    Video review ftw. I saw a Pagani Zonda in there :D

Yea it looks like theyve made a much better attempt at recreating the cars.In another video, i saw niko trying to 'jack what looked to be a carbon copy of an aston martin db9.That said, there are still some of the auld originals.Earlier, on that justin.tv thing, i saw a blista compact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Blista Compact = late 80s Honda Civic, or possibly a CRX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

thats a bold opening line "GTA4 is the best game i have played in the last 10 years"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I remember the infernus being very fast :D

• Advertisement

it looks unbelieveable, those of you with broadband are very lucky. you SOBs! the shooting looks much improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

meh, came across as a very rushed evaluation.

Tells us nothing we don't already know.

Says its the best game in the last 10 years and then states its merely a contender for game of the year.

Jury is still out for me on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

Damn that video was insane, the multiplayer looks incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

that was the first time in almost ten years ign gave a game 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

quarryman wrote: »
    meh, came across as a very rushed evaluation.

Tells us nothing we don't already know.

Says its the best game in the last 10 years and then states its merely a contender for game of the year.

Jury is still out for me on it...

Did you read the text review? It's a lot longer and more detailed.

And of course it's merely a contender for game of the year. There's still 8 months of releases to go, who knows what else might turn out to be brilliant.

steviec wrote: »
    Did you read the text review? It's a lot longer and more detailed.

And of course it's merely a contender for game of the year. There's still 8 months of releases to go, who knows what else might turn out to be brilliant.

yes yes yes. all your points are valid.

i'm tired and just couldn't be bothered editing my obvious mistakes upon re-read.

Not reading those 7 pages though. When will sites learn that we don't want to click through multiple pages and look at numerous adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm sorry but how amazing do the explosions look in the in-game review? Whether it's a car exploding or a rocket that shot past Nico exploding (and Nico is whipped up and tossed around with the explosion).

Extremely Impressive! :eek:

so i lied. I just read all 7 pages.

A good read.

Is it Tuesday yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Anyone recall what the last 10/10 score they gave?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

From IGN? Soul Caliber in 1999.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Let's not forget IGN gave Jade Empire 9.9

We're all human.
    If someone came along and offered you stupid money to mark up a review the less ethical amounst us might accept.
    There's absolutely stupid money riding on this game.
    Let's not forget MS paid $50 million for the DC ALONE.
    That's half a hollywood blockbuster right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

To be quite honest.

Im buying this game wether IGN say its good or not. And i would imagine that alot of people would get this game if it was getting poor reviews. Its GTA after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

Too true.. GTA has a proven track record!! But at the same time it must be **** hot to get 10/10..

** Waiting for PC release, sob **

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

jayteecork wrote: »
    Let's not forget IGN gave Jade Empire 9.9

We're all human.

If you're saying that Jade Empire is a bad game,you are very wrong.I'm also guessing you've never played it as it didnt sell very well,but that doesnt mean its a bad game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

techguy wrote: »
    ** Waiting for PC release, sob **

same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

titan18 wrote: »
    If you're saying that Jade Empire is a bad game,you are very wrong.I'm also guessing you've never played it as it didnt sell very well,but that doesnt mean its a bad game

jade empire was a right class game

can't wait for gta

i took a day off work on tuesday just for this game

im getting the special pack version any ideas of price lads?

im getting it in xtra vision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

titan18 wrote: »

jade empire is one of my all time grates. only problem it was to short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

JavaBear wrote: »
    same :(
    Same every other year, but this year I've got a PS3 ready :D
    Wootage. :pac:

I've played Jade Empire, yes.

Is it worth 9.9? no.

That was a very big release from Microsoft's perspective as well(a Bioware exclusive).

Let's just see what the other sites think of it.

Besides, it's very suspicious that IGN don't have to abide by the Sunday 5pm embargo.
    Then they give the game a 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Gamespot are very unreliable for game reviews; Kane and Lynch, Assassin's Creed etc.

IGN are normally on the mark. Maybe the embargo was lifted after Rockstar got wind of the leaked copies online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 A Duck

Now I'm worried I won't get a copy of the game on Tuesday. I tried to preorder last week and they said they were all booked up and I wouldn't be able to get a copy from them until they received their next batch. From the review the games looks as if it's going to exceed a lot of people expectations which rarely happens with such a big franchise. Rockstar could have just made a GTA3 clone with nice graphics and would have made a fortune. Fair play to them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't got next gen yet (unless the Nintendo DS counts) as I've been waiting until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out to get a PS3, but I'm tempted to buy one just for this game. Seems to be getting great feedback. I loved GTA 3 and quite liked Vice City, although I didn't care much for San Andreas. This game might rekindle my love for the GTA series though. I like the trailers too. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I haven't got next gen yet (unless the Nintendo DS counts) as I've been waiting until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out to get a PS3, but I'm tempted to buy one just for this game. Seems to be getting great feedback. I loved GTA 3 and quite liked Vice City, although I didn't care much for San Andreas. This game might rekindle my love for the GTA series though. I like the trailers too. :cool:

Why does everyone hate this game? Its was AWESOME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I didn't like SA that much either. I think I left it about half way through. I just didn't like the characters at all. Maybe I'm just racist but I hate all that black hiphop street gang bull**** with all their bling and crap music. Couldn't identify with them at all.

Similar sentiments about San Andreas here.

Vice City > San Andreas.

• Advertisement

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Branoic wrote: »
    I didn't like SA that much either. I think I left it about half way through. I just didn't like the characters at all. Maybe I'm just racist but I hate all that black hiphop street gang bull**** with all their bling and crap music. Couldn't identify with them at all.

But the time and area that game was set is just so interesting. Early 1990's LA....just class in my opinion.

CJ was my favourite charachter so far in a GTA game. I also liked most of the other charachters.

But as you say you have no interest in that sort of culture, so you couldn't relate. I love movies like Boyz N' da hood is a movie I particulary love.

I would say though Niko, a Russian will take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

basquille wrote: »
    Vice City > San Andreas.

The man speaketh the truth.
    I played through nearly all of SA, but couldn't be bollixed getting control of enough of the map to start the last couple of missions. It was a good game, just not good enough for me to strive for 100% completion.
    Hopefully I won't be disappointed, but I feel that GTA IV will be good enough for that and then some!

i liked San andreas but didnt really get into the Black culture either, and most of the game is pointlessly big. i thought CJ wasnt very likable at all, just didnt have any character whatsoever and same goes to most of the SA cast. i think niko will be a good character and because hes such an outsider, he'll meet all types, black and white! dont think rockstar will ever top Tommy vercetti/ray liotta. genius!

San Andreas was ****e alright.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say SA was shite by any means..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I cant get why people didnt like San Andreas. For me its in the top 5 games of all time!

using the Helicopter to bring a bike up to sky scraper roof and ramping off only to open a parachute mid jump and use it to glide across a vegas sky line......what other game gives you that option?? the whole LA riots section near the end of the game ? The trucking missions? The mission where you have to follow a train on a dirt bike and ramp up on it at the end.THE JET PLANE!!

I still play it from time to time on the ps2. If this game is better then SA it will be the greatest ever.......and so far its looking like its gna be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

RAIN wrote: »
    I cant get why people didnt like San Andreas. For me its in the top 5 games of all time!

using the Helicopter to bring a bike up to sky scraper roof and ramping off only to open a parachute mid jump and use it to glide across a vegas sky line......what other game gives you that option?? the whole LA riots section near the end of the game ? The trucking missions? The mission where you have to follow a train on a dirt bike and ramp up on it at the end.THE JET PLANE!!

I still play it from time to time on the ps2. If this game is better then SA it will be the greatest ever.......and so far its looking like its gna be.

+1

LOVED the game.

And Branoic, im sure those guys would think your way of life is ****e aswell. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I loved SA, everything about it was absolutely brilliant. Preferred VC though.

As for GTA:IV, i drove to every shop in Limerick that sells games today and nobody would give me one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

San Andreas started off alright but I stopped playing half-way through. It took ages to get anywhere and some of the missions went on for far too long, meaning if you died you had to replay large parts of the game.

Vice City was more fun anyway; the city was easier to navigate, the missons were nicely organised and the music and story was more familiar.

Bling my hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

San Andreas was incredible achievement as a technical exercise and it had a lot of incredible game play and it was the first time a lot of those things were done in an open world but it was a deeply flawed game from the storyline perspective.

As GTA's audience is mostly composed of people who want to do anything and dip into the story and people who play the story and dip into the go do anything element of the world, it got a very mixed acceptance among the fanbase.

Personally I did enjoy it but it took two gos at the game and even then there were thins I didn't like about the story. First of all, you spend too much time in the ghettoes then when you do get out, the missions do become a little long but are still enjoyable.

The territories part of the game is ridiculously repetitive and lacks any sense of achievement on completion as you don't get anything for it as far as I remember, something like a supercar you couldn't get anywhere else in the game would have made it seem more worthwhile.

The eating and working out element was pointless.

Once you get out the ghettoes, the story becomes somewhat enjoyable but overall the main character is whines too much and for somebody committing crime, he is awful condescending toward the other characters who are doing the same thing. This makes him a very unlikeable character to the point where you enjoy seeing him die at certain times in the game or at least I did. You get a certain take that fookwit joy out of seeing him die. Personally I found the fat guy to be the most likeable at the start of the game.

Overall I disliked the gangland story line but can understand why they thought it was a good idea. It was a let down after the mafia story lines which were incredible and great :D I can still enjoy the game for the achievement it was to make despite its flaws though and I'm still glad I played through it. I'm just glad I played it on Pc and not PS2 where the framerate problems and display issues made it unplayable IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My biggest problem with SA was the map was full of boring landscape that I had no interest in travelling through. Vice City had a great map. GTA4 looks equally good with no boring parts.

CJ was great imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    +1

LOVED the game.

And Branoic, im sure those guys would think your way of life is ****e aswell. :D

oh absolutely, I'm sure they would and that's grand. But they didn't have to play GTA: White Suburban Ireland! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Really enjoyed the country side in SA, made it feel like you were actually travelling places and not just travelling across a city in a few seconds. You were never far from an airport anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Branoic wrote: »
    oh absolutely, I'm sure they would and that's grand. But they didn't have to play GTA: White Suburban Ireland! :)

Emm, wasn't Vice city all about flashy houses, money, buying property, everyone doing coke...sounds exactly like White Suburban Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement