Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport City

Options
  • 26-04-2008 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Well, a campus involving a bunch of industrial, research buildings, residential buildings and offices are to be erected between dublin airport and the land to the east of it bounded by the old airport road. There's a lot to consider:
    • Will it lead to 30,000 jobs? Surely not on the site itself but if they are good companies and jobs then expect spin-offs
    • Will it increase traffic congestion, hopefully not, they are planning a Monorail (have they seen the Simpsons?)
    • Will it be safe, given that its between 2 flight paths and most planes land east to west
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It'll certainly lead to lots of jobs, both during the construction and after it's finished.
    I'm thinking they'll have made sure it will be built safely :)
    I love to hear of developments like this, they keep our area alive and in almost full employment. And they're the reason we have such good infrastructure in Swords - there was nothing years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

flood problems at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Its a good idea.........hopefully it'll keep the ecomony ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bambi85

If They Get Leonard Nemoy to officially open the Monorail.. Im totally for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

All of the above is true, though I feel Swords needs much more infrastructure (arent there hundreds of kids that have to leave the town for schools?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Bambi85 wrote: »
    If They Get Leonard Nemoy to officially open the Monorail.. Im totally for it!!
    What about us brain-dead slobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0425/airport.html?rss

Sorry if there is a topic already made about this, searched it but couldn't find anything.

What are your thoughts? On one hand it create a lot more jobs, but on the other hand, 1 billion euro a year is a crapload to pay every year for something that won't be completed for possibly another 20 years and us heading into a recession.

More inclined to be pessimistic, probably a massive screw up along the way...
    we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Airtown \o/

I can see it taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sherifu wrote: »
    I can see it taking off.
    *groan*

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I can see it taking off.

That kind of carry-on is just plane tasteless :mad: You should runway as quick as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Karoma wrote: »
    *groan*

Moved.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    That kind of carry-on is just plane tasteless :mad: You should runway as quick as you can.
    I thought more people would be onboard :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I thought more people would be onboard :(

/me adds "really crappy puns" to the list of bannable offences :p

Threads merged.

Your sense of humour is just plane weird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0425/airport.html?rss

On one hand it create a lot more jobs, but on the other hand, 1 billion euro a year is a crapload to pay every year for something that won't be completed for possibly another 20 years and us heading into a recession.

Huh???

jdivision wrote: »
    Huh???

You obviously never studied Economics. The way to approach a recession is to make LONG TERM decisions and if you are in the business of building or developing a large project planning it for incremental release of the product/infrastructure so that you have re-financing options.

Several of the big brand corporations that exist today were ones that existed pre-1929 and who made such choices. I personally wouldn't be hung up on Government Funding, so long as the thing is well (physically) planned then it should be fine and helps Ireland Inc. capitalise on a bunch of dead land around the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about. The development is costing e4 billion but will generate e1 billion a year for the economy, not cost the economy e1 billion a year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    What about us brain-dead slobs?

i believe they made a statement about this along the lines of "you'll be given cushy jobs";)

jdivision wrote: »
    You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about. The development is costing e4 billion but will generate e1 billion a year for the economy, not cost the economy e1 billion a year. :rolleyes:

WTF? Exactly my point, but also nothing costs the economy anything per se, it exposes individual investors to risk, be they state bodies OR private. Clever investors don't care about the risk so long as they are sure of demand and can control the cost of their credit if they are using that. Simple. I wouldn't be hung up on PR figures just now.

Advertisement