Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any decent powersupplies worth buying in Maplins?

Options
  • 26-04-2008 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,758 ✭✭✭✭

looking for something in the 5-600Watt range thats pretty reliable and not going to break the bank, I take it Xpower should be avoided, what about icute?

have a spare P4 D 3.4ghz & a Asus P5WD2 which will be paired with a ATI 800gto Graphics card, will probably just used it as a server so doubt I'll overclock it and will stick 3-4 harddrivers into it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Peats have a better selection

Scout around adverts.ie though. You could probably pick up a better PSU on there for less than you'd pay for an inferior one from Maplins

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Title should be changed to

Is there anyTHING decent worth buying in Maplins?:rolleyes:

Crazy deals like this 5 year old fx5200 AGP graphics card at only €65!!!! You'd be crazy NOT to buy one.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=218213&doy=26m4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,758 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah I know normally don't buy from them but had to return a TV card and they would only give me a credit note so just wanted to use it sooner rather then later as its printed on crappy thermal paper and already its beginning to fade :( Looking at Peats site I don't really see a great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Max burns have thermaltake PSU's. Worth a look.

http://maxburns.ie/start/power-supplies.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

They have enermax get one of them there quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

There someone selling Enermax 600 watt PSU's on Adverts.ie at the moment for a very good price ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Decent supplies: Yes
    Worth buying: No, because they're so outrageously priced.

They have cheap ones, but they're pathetic...at the moment they have an X-Power PSU for 35....even the 600w model still only has 20a on the 12v so it's crap for anything remotely powerful (though probably OK for the GTO in your case).

the iCute ones are the same, poor rail(s).

Recently they had the gamer version X-Power for 40 which looks OK spec wise, plenty of power on rails....but it's now 60 and I've no idea what the quality would be like. Pretty sure it was atx 2.2 though.

I did buy a Trust 570w PSU in there for 60 euro once, fairly decent supply, quiet, and never gave me any problems over the few months I used it in a high end gaming machine.

Actually one of the best value for money in terms of all around features is the Jeantech Arctic - 600w, strong rails and it's modular - for 50 euro on Pixmania. PC World charge 125 for the same supply. I've already bought a few for various builds, great price considering the good spec's but especially the modular aspect.

No point spending crazy money on such a setup really...something like this would also be OK. Of course if you want something a little less....recognised, you can go much cheaper.

EDIT: Just noticed it's a credit note you have. So your options are X-Power, Mercury, V-Cool, iCute in the <50 bracket, Trust/X-Power <65, and FSP in the <90. Depends on how much the credit note is for really. The FSP Blue storm is a great supply, so if you have that much money you could get that, but despite it's good quality it's not worth that much money. So...up to you.

Actually, doing some looking into it, looks like X-Power are made by HEC - so actually, not TOO bad - the gamer edition at 60 might be a good purchase after all (seems it was a great deal at 40 last week, would have bought one if I'd known). I'd avoid the generic X-Power models - one review shows it at 53% efficiency under high load - this is horrendous beyond belief. Seems good at low draw though.

You could also try the enticing value options from Dabs and Pixmania...500w psu's for 20 euro....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,758 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks Lads I'll have a look tomorrow, Got stung by Max Burns on an item recently so gonna give them a miss. Terrorfirmer appreciate your help on the Maplins PSU's my credit note is around 53 euros so might go for the gamer X-power if they have them.

Advertisement