Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eli Roth's "Cell" (Stephen King adaption)

• 26-04-2008 2:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

We've a fair bit to wait (2009 according to IMDB) but anyone else looking forward to this? I'm reading the book at the moment, it's a very enjoyable read.

For those who have finished it, who'd you like to see cast? I don't think there has been anyone confirmed yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Read this about a year ago.The first half kicks ass but I was soooooooo disappointed with the 2nd half.
    Is Roth still attached to direct?.I know he bought the rights when it was published but I think there was some kind of wrangle a few months ago and he isnt part of it anymore.

A major fear I have is that it will turn out to be an American version of 28 days later.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah books ruin movies. Watch the movie then read the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Besides firstarter I thought this was the worst book i have ever read by stephen king,no built up suspense,which he is great for and I just didnt feel for the characters,not really fleshed out well. It was like it was written by someone else and king just added his name. Though it pro make a great movie,good story for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I wouldnt be too mad about going to see this one. However, I think if its handled right the opening chapter(s) to the book (the ones set in the park where it all kicks off) could be serously impressive looking tbh.

I didnt care much for the rest of the book and I cant see it translating too well to movie format unless they do some serious tweaking. Which in some cases, especially for Stephen King books, the movie is completely different from the book, with only the carachter names and setting staying the same - running man anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, somewhat belatedly finished the book a few days ago. I think it could make a really decent movie.

I thought it dipped a bit in the middle
    when we were introduced to Jordon and the Head, and they plan the incineration of the phone-crazies in the football pitch
    but really picked up again with the revelation that
    they aren't zombies as such, but rather telepathic.

May need some tweaking, I've no doubt there'll be some big changes, but I think it could be a decent movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

'twas all a bit too close to a rehash of "The Stand" for my liking. best book he's written since his accident but annoying seeing as "from a buick 8" (which was not good imho) was supposed to be his final work as stephen King.

It would make a good movie though, *IF* they get the casting right. the green mile is a good example as is Misery. Tommyknockers and Dreamcatcher are examples of how not to do it.

If they got Frank Darabont, I would have high hopes. The Mist film was awesome. Best horror film I've seen in ages and a very good and faithfull adaptation of Kings work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I very much enjoyed the book but found the ending to be lacking. It's like The Stand but only focusing on one tight group rather than taking in the whole widespread scale of the catastrophe.

As a film I honestly think regardless of director, whatever producer get's there hands on this will think one thing, 28 Day's Later and we'll get yet another zombie flick rehash instead of the fairly original piece this is. Honestly I'd rather see a proper theatrical version of The Stand made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I started the book but never finished it. I wasnt a big fan of the way it was going. The start was excellent though.

Advertisement