Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luka Modric.......

Options
  • 26-04-2008 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

According to all reports including the offical website, we have agreed to sign Modric. What a signing :D .........

A different player than berba obviously, but will berba's sale be financing the deal ? The both of them in one side who be something to look forward to!!!!!

Either way im happy, long time since we had a central player of top top quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Congratz on the signing, defo a major coup for ya.It might even persuade bera to stay if it is'nt his sale which is financing the deal.Personally, i can't imagine modric agreeing to come if Berba was going to be sold.Future looks bright for ye next year if this one of many signings talk is to be believed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Savage signing, absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

great news. He can play left or central midfield. Spurs Have been missing a creative spark since carrick left.

They need to buy a keeper next. kameni from espanyol looks very very good. I think if a couple of more class players and i think we will keep berba. All the talk is coming from his agent not him. If the club shows they mean business then he will stay i think for 1 more year.

With the arrival of Modric - who will leave our Midfiled? I think it will be Taino and Jenas. Its going to be an interesting summer at the lane...

One thing is for sure, you are better doing business in early summer rather than late summer when panic sets in. Well Done Leavy/Commolli/Ramos....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Quality looking forward to watching the Euros now.First of a couple of quality players hopefully.COYS.

Modric speaks
    Tottenham's new signing Luka Modric has expressed his delight at the prospect of playing Premier League football next season.

The White Hart Lane outfit have agreed a fee believed to be in excess of £15million with Dinamo Zagreb for the 22-year-old Croatia international.

Modric has been interesting the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and, most recently, Newcastle, although he believes Juande Ramos' side are a big club.

With three English teams in the semi-finals of this season's UEFA Champions League, Modric believes the quality of football in England speaks for itself.

"I'm happy to be joining such a big club," Modric said at a press conference in Zagreb.

"It will be a real pleasure to play in the English league which is the best in Europe, with three English clubs in the semi-finals of the Champions League."

Despite losing one of their brightest players, Dinamo sporting director Zoran Mamic was happy with the deal brokered with Spurs.

"Tottenham's president came to Zagreb," said Mamic. "We signed the agreement and everything is in order.

"We're very happy. Luka is leaving for an environment where he's going to progress, while Dinamo showed that we know how to do good deals."

Two bolded bits:

1. The comments from Bilic during the week re. us a one of the big 5 has to have helped convince Modric. Thanks to the ex-Spammer...:D

2. Well done Daniel Levy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

1209222255_spt_ai_tottenhamvbolton_01.jpg

1209222414_spt_ai_tottenhamvbolton_02.jpg

1209222425_spt_ai_tottenhamvbolton_03.jpg

1209222940_spt_ai_tottenhamvbolton_04.jpg

Great pics as ever Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Great news.
    Lets hope it's the 1st of many outstanding signings this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It would be great to see him play with Berbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

class signing. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I am absolutely gob-smacked about this signing. I've always stated that he would be my number one signing this summer, and when the lads told me on Saturday morning that he had signed I thought they were taking the piss!!

What a great start to the transfer season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Kold wrote: »
    It would be great to see him play with Berbs..

I'm afraid we got to resign ourselves to the fact that modric was bought out of Berb sale funds ...would be nice if that wasn't the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stedub

Stedub wrote: »

Ah ffs. After the first minute of that I kind of hate him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Stedub wrote: »

To be honest after seeing this vid I am a little worried (or I should say, I wonder where Ramos intends to play him or who he intends to replace)

Please correct me if I am wrong but every goal or pass in this vid was with his right foot! The free kicks were from the right hand side, and when we saw him on the left he cut into the middle and onto his right foot (little predictable after a while).

I wonder if Ramos has him in mind to replace Jenas or even Lennon on the right? I don't think he intends for him to be on the left at all! maybe we will see another signing for the left, that would be cool!;)

He wasn't bought to play on the left, I'm certain of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah I'd imagine in the middle, maybe on the right if needed, but primarily through the middle, or at the top of a midfield diamond.

Should pick up Ronaldinho to play on the left...

theduffer wrote: »
    great news. He can play left or central midfield. Spurs Have been missing a creative spark since carrick left.
    He wasn't bought to play on the left, I'm certain of that.

theduffer doesn't agree, and I have heard most people state he is midfield or LM? Just don't see that in this vid at all.

And why do so many people rate him, where are they seeing him play (except for the very odd Croatian game) who is watching Moscow week in week out to see this guy play? I think there is more than a good bit of hype surrounding this guy!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

[QUOTE who is watching Moscow week in week out to see this guy play? I think there is more than a good bit of hype surrounding this guy!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Zagreb!!
    I've seen him play against the bigger island and he was the difference between them.

Great signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

Sould get to see him over the Summer in the Euro's....

galinka wrote: »
    [QUOTE who is watching Moscow week in week out to see this guy play? I think there is more than a good bit of hype surrounding this guy!:rolleyes:

I think you mean Zagreb!!
    I've seen him play against the bigger island and he was the difference between them.

Great signing.[/quote]

So exactly how many games have you seen him play?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Modric operates in a similar way for Dinamo Zagreb.
    What has been striking about him, though, is the way he has changed his game at international level. When Slaven Bilic replaced Zlatko Kranjcar as national coach, he announced he was doing away with the 3-4-1-2 in favour of a Dutch-style 4-3-3. That created panic amid traditionalists, who see the playmaker as central to Croatian football, but they need not have worried. In the end Bilic settled on a 4-1-3-2, and managed to fit into that two players who have in the past played as No10s - Niko Kranjcar and Modric. Kranjcar is now happily adapted to a left-sided attacking midfield role, but Modric too has had to change his game.
    "For Dinamo he plays in the hole but for the national team he's another midfielder, playing in the middle with Niko Kovac," Kranjcar explained. "He showed against England when he played against Barry, Lampard and Gerrard that he can cope in the middle of the pitch against English opposition. I don't think it will be a problem. He's maybe not going to push players around, but with his quickness of feet, and his balance and his vision he'll cope. He's really special. He's a player who's really comfortable on the ball. People enjoy having him in the team. He's quick of thought. Good with both feet, can run all day long, and he plays football. He's got a great future."
    The Tottenham-bound Modric himself has spoken of the "increased defensive responsibility" he has with the national team, and that is what marks him out as a different kind of playmaker. He can take his place within a system, rather than living apart, having to have the system built around him as was the case with old-school No10s like Riquelme. None of that, of course, means that his apparently frail physical frame will necessarily be able to cope with an English season - it is a very different thing to survive a physical battering over the course of 38 games than in a one-off qualifier - but it does suggest the sort of intelligence and adaptability he will need to prosper in the Premier League. There is, to use that word so beloved of Lobanovskyi and Sacchi, a "universality" about him that marks him as a thoroughly modern player

i personally have only seen him play once and a couple of recent youtube viewings he looks top drawer bar the cartwheel celebration.he will definitely add to the attacking capabilities.
    "defensive responsability" will be a job for ANother imo.

Advertisement