Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre help?

Options
  • 26-04-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have 15" alloys on my car. The tyres that are on them are 195/50/15. There's a ceryain type of tyre I want to fit to them but the closest they are made in is 195/60/15. Does anyone know if these would fit? They're the only 15" tyre they make.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

They will fit, they'll be slightly larger in circumference.

Check your tyre pressure label, inside the fuel cap lid or in the vehicle hand-book, to see if it gives you figures for your new tyre size - there'll often be a few sizes catered for and your new tyre's might be among them!

If you do decide to get the new tyres, you're gonna have to change all 4 on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

land9 wrote: »
    Check your tyre pressure cap, to see if it gives you figures for your new tyre size.
    This bit is confusing me?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd expect you'll also have to have your speedo recalibrated as your rolling circumference will change.

Plus you'll change your handling - softer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

http://home.netcom.com/~sgalaba/tiresize.htm

Using this calculator, with new tyres fitted, the speedo will read 56mph at a speed that would have been indicated as 60mph on the existing tyres.

You would really have to compare the original manufacturer-fitted rim and tyre size with the rim/tyre size you propose to use.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    This bit is confusing me?

Sorry, see edited post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Hi,
    I have 15" alloys on my car. The tyres that are on them are 195/50/15. There's a ceryain type of tyre I want to fit to them but the closest they are made in is 195/60/15. Does anyone know if these would fit? They're the only 15" tyre they make.

What sort of car do you drive?

What tyre are you looking at getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

land9 wrote: »
    If you do decide to get the new tyres, you're gonna have to change all 4 on the car.

Can you explain this?
    I recently had a couple delivered that are different ratio(i.e. 225,40,19's instead of 225,45,19's) and was told they're grand to run with.

So i have 45's on the front and 40's on the back.

Trig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Triangle wrote: »
    Can you explain this?
    I recently had a couple delivered that are different ratio(i.e. 225,40,19's instead of 225,45,19's) and was told they're grand to run with.

Trig

Generally you would try to have the same rolling radius on both axels. Some cars are specd from factory with a larger circumference tyre on the rear e.g Porsche Boxster.

What car do you drive?

Triangle wrote: »
    Can you explain this?

Trig

You have smaller tyres on the back then!

You would get away with matching tyres on the same axle, but if you wanna rotate them, you will need for them to be all the same. Next time you go to replace, make sure they are the same.

On some rear wheel drive cars, like beemers and mercs, the back wheels will be wider and so will be totally different to the front except for diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

It's a Mazda RX-8.

Cheers for the info, The only reason i have different sizes is due to a firend ordering the wrong size. I've them on the back so they wear quicker so i can get back to my 45's on all four wheels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement