Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to and from work, but no showers..... :-(

Options
  • 26-04-2008 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I dont know if anyone can help me here but I am wondering what anyone, if anyone here does regarding the practicalities of cycling to and from work but no shower facilities, ita about 25 minutes or 12km, not too stressfull as it is a nice gradient,

Its really to free up some time and to have that grin that says wahooo.... I will be home in the same time but not stressed and all wound up, and I have done some triathlon training.... wahoooooo!!!

That said I will sweat guaranteed, so I am wondering has anyone any tips on how I can do this without smelling like a turd for the day???

So far I have been thinking baby wipes, anti-perspirant on, and a stockpile of clean shirts etc in work, I can do this easily enough,

Anyone got any experiences of this kind of thing??

Thanks so much,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

I have the same commuting distance and although a shower is available, if you saw it you would see why I'm reluctant to use it. So, I have a freezing cold shower before I hop on the bike, cycle at a moderate pace and have not yet received a complaint about boldily odour!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Is there a diabled toilet? There's usually enough space in one to have a decent wash.
    Or is there any chance of persuading your employer to install a shower? Get other cyclists to lobby the boss.
    Or use a shower from a nearby company?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

gabgab wrote: »
    ita about 25 minutes or 12km
    Herein lies your problem, especially if that figure includes stopping at lights. I'd suggest doing it a bit slower on the way in if you don't have showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I found it was fine if I took spare clothes and planted a towel at work (refreshed weekly) and just toweled down, deodourised, washed face and changed the clothes. Not ideal, but it worked OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

There is always the option of joining a nearby gym. Obviously a bit costly but if you might use it as a gym as well as a shower it could be worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Thanks a million everyone, I reckon I will try it once and see how I go. The boss is a mountainbiker and doing the triathlons too so he's cool about it,

I was just curious was there any particular things people have done in their experiences,

Thanks so mch for the replies,

Blorg: Most of it is downhill so I am not pushing that hard :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There is always the option of joining a nearby gym. Obviously a bit costly but if you might use it as a gym as well as a shower it could be worthwhile.
    I seriously considered this until I discovered that my new place of work actually did have showers, they were just in a pretty obscure place at the bottom of the car park! I had been cycling in for a couple of months at that stage (mid-summer) before I found out. Worth checking although bear in mind I am a bit of a klutz, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Mucco wrote: »
    Is there a diabled toilet? There's usually enough space in one to have a decent wash.
    I'm not sure why space around a sink is the issue? In fact, many sinks in disabled loos are particularly small. There is also the issue of holding up the disabled person who may have urgent need for the loo.

I used to have a body wash at a normal sink after cycling into work in town years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I've done a bit shorter distance, and at considerably less intensity for many years without a shower.
    Shower before you set off. If I do work up a sweat paper towels and soap at the sink clear up the (not smelly yet) sweat. Then a bit of deodorant and you're away.

Mind you, I'm a bit of a slob and the workplace is "smart" casual. And I get plenty of space at the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I have a 10K commute. My strategy is wear as little clothing as posssible on the cycle, so i don't get too warm. And change when i get to work. I also have panniers so i don't have to wear a bag on my back - i find the bag on back is a big sweat generator.

On the sweat wiping thing - if it's an issue you should keep a pack of baby wipes in work. Dead handy for that kind thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You should use the Simple Baby Wipes, at least you won't smell like a baby's backside, they're odourless.

Advertisement