Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico "Freedom" phone rental+1MB+local,national,mobile calls free

Options
  • 26-04-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

http://www.perlico.com/bundles/Default.aspx

Can anybody tell me of their experience on this package ?
    It seems a good deal price-wise €39.99/month all-inclusive - but its only a 1MB connection, with a contention ratio of 48:1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No experience of the package but plenty of experience with Perlico.
    If you value your sanity, steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Does "sound" good, but check the small print.
    * €39.99 price applies for first 6 months, total bundle cost €46.99 per month thereafter, plus €7.99 optional mobile and international calls add-on. 12 month contract applies. Active landline required. Offer open to residential customers only. Broadband subject to availability.

Link

Assuming you required a wireless modem (@ €49.99), the actual per month cost over the 12 months would work out at roughly €52.00 p/m.

And remember that you only get 50 minutes of mobile/international calls per month. Thats under 2 minutes per day !!! Brilliant, eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aidancoughlan

thanks for the responses all....
    but check the small print
    Yes, I've re-read it and its a bit misleading OK.... the headline €39.99 package *includes* the FREE mobile and internationall calls, but the small print restricts this to 50 minutes,and for 6 months only. After the first 6 months the small print suggests that the package increases to €46.99..... but further small print explains that its not an equivalent package after the first 6 months - the 50 minutes mobile and International calls are now included, meaning an extra €7.99 a month, bringing the total cost per month to €55 euro.

factoring in a wireless modem like you mentioned increases the cost further again.

I've started to look at Esat BT instead... €47.95 for 1MB, line, and all local, national + UK International calls + no small print. This seems roughly comparable to the Perlico €46.99 package, but with a better 24:1 contention ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How many people wont bother to read the small print or post on a forum for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The UTV anytime 2Mb package for €49.34 might do the trick, the 2Mb broadband should become 3Mb in June when the upgrades roll out, so you'd have a decent broadband. It is unclear whether contention rates differ in practice between resellers of Eircom broadband.

• Advertisement

I've started to look at Esat BT instead... €47.95 for 1MB, line, and all local, national + UK International calls + no small print. This seems roughly comparable to the Perlico €46.99 package, but with a better 24:1 contention ratio.

That would be 48:1 aswell.
    ardmacha wrote:
    It is unclear whether contention rates differ in practice between resellers of Eircom broadband.
    The contention ratios are the same as Eircom. The actual speed differences between the various ISPs is generally down to their own network capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

my sister has their 1mb broadband and the service is pretty good except she cant download any files larger than 5-6mb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

foggy_lad wrote: »
    my sister has their 1mb broadband and the service is pretty good except she cant download any files larger than 5-6mb!

So, not that good then, eh?

My limited experience of Perlico would lead me to not recommend them in a blind fit, not even to someone I didn't like.

That gave me a good laugh.:D Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Says it all really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cjodea

So, consensus is a sound thumbs down for Perlico. What do people recommend? utv, bt? eircom (snigger).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

Would recommend UTV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got Perlico for the parents a few months back as the liked Perlico for phone, have to say have had no issues when I've been at home and then includes for torrents, parents have also reported no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cjodea wrote: »
    utv, bt? eircom (snigger).

Don't snigger, I've actually been recommending eircom to people of late. I have no experience of UTV, plenty with BT and you should avoid, Perlico and Imagine are much the same, IMO, cowboys. eircom is the most expensive, but I've not seen anywhere near the customer horror stories that all the other operators have had. As their current ad says, cheap isn't always best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

I've had Perlico before in a college house and it was fine no problems at all.

What i hate about Perlico is their scumbag marketing. FFS how stupid do they think people are. Its turned me right off them :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Guys...thank you!...my mom got the Perlico flyer and i was thinking it was too good to be true, i knew there would be a catch!

So i've told her to avoid this offer, you've saved her!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pendude

thanks lads, perlico sucks balls!
    ill try the UTV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Hi,
    Just wanted to give my feedback on the Perlico offer. I was previously with Eircom then to BT then back to Eircom and now with Perlico.

Despite reports to the contrary I have had no problems whatsoever when I signed up to this package. I was very hesitant after reading a lot of threads here.

Broadband connection was lost for one day only in switch over ( when Eircom cut off my connection), since switch over no problems with upload or download on a 1MB line. I work partially from home and it suits me to the ground. Thought I needed to post something positive as its getting so many bad reviews!!! I'm able to monitor my downloads and uploads to ensure I don't exceed the 10GB rate.
    Maybe Vodafone have sorted out their previous issues???

Either way I can recommend the package.

Advertisement