Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Writing your thesis - how is it going?

• 26-04-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am finished with my data analysis and am just putting everything together for my thesis. I was wondering how is everyone doing? What do you use (Words, LaTex, etc.)? I used to procrastinate a lot and lost over a year if not more but finally regained some energy since the end of last year and am racing towards writing the sections. I have my main data already prepared to submit to peer-reviewed journals (3 papers (one submitted, the other two in final draft and first draft stages, respectively), possibly an idea for one more). My main concerns are the Introduction/Literature review section and the General conclusions.

It took me 6 years to get there, doing the PhD part-time and not as a traditional student but I am quite excited about the possibility of finishing sometime by the end of this year. Can't sleep properly and always feel guilty about bouts of procrastination but hey, it's all part of the experience.

Would be interested in hearing fromm all of you who are at a similar stage and maybe write about your successes, doubts, problems etc. (I found two fora that deal with these problems but there aren't many PhD students from Ireland on there and the American and UK systems are still a bit different to what we do here. Here are the links: www.postgraduateforum.com and www.phinished.org).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Try http://www.phdcomics.com/proceedings,

it gives a lot of support and there are a number of Irish posters there. Also good for a laugh too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 zea

hey preusse,

I've been working on my PhD on & off for a few years now & am going back to it full-time from July. I am still at the data analysis stage and feel that I'm not really making much progress at the moment but hopefully going back full-time will give me a good run at it. Am submitting it in October, no matter what. I'm working a little bit on my thesis as I'm going along, using Word. I'm not looking forward to going back to it at all, but the thoughts of having it submitted are driving me. Will be great to have it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi ivy,

thanks! yes, I knew about that site alright. ;)

Hi zea,

welcome back to the grind. :)
    I know exactly how you feel. My PhD is part-time but knowing that I could have already finished last year or even the year before just gets to me. Lost time through illness and also my own faults but hey, never look back, that was then, this is now. I finally got my energy back at the end of last year and am working consistently on my thesis now. Just got good news, well sort of. I submitted a paper to a peer-reviewed journal in february and now got the revisions back. Pending minor revisions there is a good chance it'll be accepted quickly for publication. Yay. :)

Yes, just keep thinking how you'll feel after your viva. ;) That keeps me going as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I'm in my second (or is it third? Feels so long...) year and just trying to draft the lit review, then going to start the methodology and case study plans this summer. If it's any consolation, I wish I was at the stage you're at now!

And don't talk to me about procrastination. I had the whole day to work today and I've written about 300 words. Bloody internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi UB,

yes, I feel the same reading about some of the people who have already finished their first draft of their thesis or even submitted the whole thing.

Good to know one's not alone. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement