Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this car parked illegaly??

Options
  • 26-04-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Can anybody help on this. There is a car parked outside my house on the road(Not in a parking space). The car has been there or 1 month now, sitting idle. The car isnt in the way but it is taking up 2 parking spaces where other neighbours would usually park, is this allowed as the car isnt being used, and asked 3 of my neighbours if it is theirs, so nobody knows who owns this car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Are the spaces marked as individual spaces, or is it a space in front of the 2 houses with no lines?

Ring the gardai and tell them there's a suspicious car parked there and give them the reg, make, model, and colour. Also do the same with your local corporation, explaining that it seems to be an abandoned car. If it's a foreign reg, ring customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Wow, hold on there. Is the car causing an obstruction? Is it taxed etc?

Don't go ringing anyone if you have no grounds to be ringing them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

is it taxed
    if yes then it is ok if no it can be moved

VH wrote: »

The reason for ringing Gardai or customs is that it may be a stolen car left parked up until the "heat" has died down a bit on it; not, unfortunately, an uncommon practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

VH wrote: »

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Make a note of the reg and ring the Gardai regardless. If it's stolen, you've just told them where it is. If it's not, there's no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I believe if the number plates were to mysteriously go missing then the council have to remove the car

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As per another topic on parking on here... unless its a parking space within a complex or designated space per appt/flat, anybody can park outside anybodies house as there is no right to the owner of a house that the space outside on the road is theres.
    If its just a case of yourself or your neighbour being unable to park in your "regular" spaces, its a case of tough luck - first come first served.

As the OP's has said you could ring and let the gaurds know there is a suspicious car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

TheBazman wrote: »
    I believe if the number plates were to mysteriously go missing then the council have to remove the car

+1. works a charm!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have a similar situation whereby a car has been parked in a space across from my house for 8 months. I have contacted the Gardai and the council in february but nothing was done. No one knows who owns it, the tax and insurance ran out in 07 and its quite a nice car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think some are missing the OPs point, as much as they have a right to park there, not for a month without being moved. Theres something amiss such as stolen so give the gardai a shout to see what the story is and your concerns, it could still be there in months to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

mildews wrote: »
    +1. works a charm!!!!!

+2 It would be awful if the plates fell off the car, then you would have to call the council and they would have to come out and remove it within a day or 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I had a car outside the house for 16 months, and i knew who owned it. Not alot we could do. There's a thread on here for it if u do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

The car isnt taxed. Its parked on the road, not in a parking space. Its not obstructing anybody, just taking up spaces where other cars would usually park. I will ring the council Monday and see what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

TheDriver wrote: »
    I think some are missing the OPs point, as much as they have a right to park there, not for a month without being moved.
    Can you post up what the time limits are please.

Don't want to get caught out on this.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TheBazman wrote: »

I'd a similar situ at few year's back, rang Dublin Corpo and was told it would be removed if there were no reg plates on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Joe Malone

The car isnt taxed. Its parked on the road, not in a parking space. Its not obstructing anybody, just taking up spaces where other cars would usually park. I will ring the council Monday and see what can be done.

If your housing estate has been taken in charge by the council then the road is a public road. All cars on a public road must be taxed. Any car which is either untaxed or has tax out of date by 3 months or more can (and should) be impounded by the Gardai. - I just hope your estate is not one of the many which are still not taken in charge by the council as the road in that case is a private one and no law is broken and no-one will take the car!

Yeah as far as I know Fingal are responsible. Thanks for the advice folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

ive had the same prob OP ,difference being the NI reg car is sitting in an app complex car park, ie private car park since xmas.. i've been to the guards twice, they say they'll look into it. needless to say it's still there as the car is on private property. i can't move it as i'm liable if the owner returns and my luck suckssssss.. the car really stinks, i swear there's something dead in the boot. the co. council wont move it, house management keep referring it to the guards, it's maddening!
    i think that number plate suggestion might work as it's on a public space. if you get any joy please post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Don't bother ringing the council if it has plates on it. I was told by a Gard not so long that if a car looks abandoned remove the plates and the coucil have to remove it. Once it has plates, the only action that will be taken is to trace the last registered owner which will take time.

If it looks old and possibily abandoned, see if the plates drop off over night:p and then call the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Ok so pulling plates off may work. But if it's giving you sore eyes why not do the easy thing... 1Gallon of petrol + matches.... hmmmm I think i made my point quite clear ;)
    Council will remove it next day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

take a picture and show us what its parked like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

The council have to remove it if it poses an environmental hazzard, say if it was leaking unknown fliuds on to the road, from the engine bay. Plates need to be missing and tax out of date.

Hassel the local politicians about it also.

The car was moved today. My next door neighbour had it removed. She said she asked everyone on the road if they owned it, about 16 houses, all replied no to owning it, so she said fu*k whoever owns it, its taken up car park spaces!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Not so sure if this applies anymore these days but the owner of the property used to own the road to the centre line of the road. I loved the suggestions for removing the plates... the moral police have taken a night off :rolleyes:

How did she manage to get it removed?

Not totally cetain, but something like a friend of a friend works in a towing company and organised it. Obviously what has happened isnt legally. She said the car would be dumped where it wouldnt cause an obstruction or be on peoples front yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Not totally cetain, but something like a friend of a friend works in a towing company and organised it. Obviously what has happened isnt legally. She said the car would be dumped where it wouldnt cause an obstruction or be on peoples front yard.
    So, she organised for the car to be stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Temporarily rehoused i would say.

It doesn't matter anyway as it wasn't the OP who did it.

If the car mattered that much to the owner they should have parked it properly on there own property and moved it on occasion to show it was still in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Temporarily rehoused i would say.

It doesn't matter anyway as it wasn't the OP who did it.

If the car mattered that much to the owner they should have parked it properly on there own property and moved it on occasion to show it was still in use.

No, it was stolen, and the person who organised it, as well as the 'tower' is liable for car theft.

Parking a car you don't like is not a crime. Moving one without the owner's permission, is. And, OP, seeing as you were so hot to get involved before, in a non-crime, time to do your bit for society and ring the Gardai and tell them who stole it.

If not, don't come whingin' around here next time someone decides they don't like YOUR car, and interfere with it.........

Have people so little to do??:mad:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement