Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this car parked illegaly??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not totally cetain, but something like a friend of a friend works in a towing company and organised it. Obviously what has happened isnt legally. She said the car would be dumped where it wouldnt cause an obstruction or be on peoples front yard.
    Ahahahahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Temporarily rehoused i would say.

It doesn't matter anyway as it wasn't the OP who did it.

If the car mattered that much to the owner they should have parked it properly on there own property and moved it on occasion to show it was still in use.
    Moving a car without the owner's permission to a location unknown by the owner is theft, no matter what way you look at it.

Only the gardaí etc have the powers to do that, and in the process they attempt to trace the owner to let them know.

It is possible the owner has gone on holidays etc.

The OP is now complicit in the crime of car theft, as he knows who committed it. A strange twist of irony is that he may be easy enough to track down from boards logs etc if the gardaí come looking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

su_dios wrote: »
    Not so sure if this applies anymore these days but the owner of the property used to own the road to the centre line of the road.
    What a load of twaddle.

* Adopts comic Keith Duffy accent *
    Hiya buddies! 'Public roads' are called that because they are indeed 'public'. I.e., They are not in private ownership.

If you did own to the centre of the road in front of your house, what would stop you from sticking a sun-lounger & the kiddies paddling pool out there, & spent many's a sunny afternoon greasing yourself up with Hawaiian Tropic, reading a Harold Robbin's novel & disrupting traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

VH wrote: »
    The OP is now complicit in the crime of car theft, as he knows who committed it. A strange twist of irony is that he may be easy enough to track down from boards logs etc if the gardaí come looking for him.

columbo1.jpg
    "One more thing Mr/Mrs timemachine..."

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

VH wrote: »
    Moving a car without the owner's permission to a location unknown by the owner is theft, no matter what way you look at it.

Only the gardaí etc have the powers to do that, and in the process they attempt to trace the owner to let them know.

It is possible the owner has gone on holidays etc.

Yea i heard that the Garda Forensic technical bureau are looking into this right now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

su_dios wrote: »
    Not so sure if this applies anymore these days but the owner of the property used to own the road to the centre line of the road.

You are quite right, I used to prepare planning applications years ago and when outlining the property boundaries on the OS maps, we were required to mark out to the centre of the road, however this is not the case anymore, and I don't think anyone would have ever gotten away with trying to claim ownership of the ground outside their front wall / fence anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Well I did ring the Gardai asking them about it when it was parked there, and they didnt seem that interested, so I couldnt be bothered ringing them to tell them its gone. You say stolen, I say Gone On Holiday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Victor_M wrote: »
    +2 It would be awful if the plates fell off the car, then you would have to call the council and they would have to come out and remove it within a day or 2!

That's ridiculous. Anyone who'd do that is a total scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Hill Billy wrote: »
    What a load of twaddle.

* Adopts comic Keith Duffy accent *
    Hiya buddies! 'Public roads' are called that because they are indeed 'public'. I.e., They are not in private ownership.

If you did own to the centre of the road in front of your house, what would stop you from sticking a sun-lounger & the kiddies paddling pool out there, & spent many's a sunny afternoon greasing yourself up with Hawaiian Tropic, reading a Harold Robbin's novel & disrupting traffic?

I stated the above having used OS maps on a regular occasion. I also stated that I doubt this applies anymore. Read below also. I'm glad you had your say..
    Originally Posted by su_dios View Post
    You are quite right, I used to prepare planning applications years ago and when outlining the property boundaries on the OS maps, we were required to mark out to the centre of the road, however this is not the case anymore, and I don't think anyone would have ever gotten away with trying to claim ownership of the ground outside their front wall / fence anyway.

Also if most people complaining about this had read the thread properly then they would see the car had no tax. As it was parked on the road and not a driveway it should not have been there! Also I always love how people on boards tend to have such high morals when its not them in the situation. I guarantee each one of you would have done anything to get that car moved if it was outside your house taking up your space with no sign of anyone using it or living nearby and having tried to have it removed by the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

That's ridiculous. Anyone who'd do that is a total scumbag

Will don't ever park you're car outside my house for 2 months at a time. I'm no scumbag, I just have a proactive approach to inconsiderate gob****es!

I should add before I hear the clippty clop of the high horses.

I always ring the guards first to see if the car has been reported stolen, I leave a note on the windshield asking politely for the owner to move the car, and as a last resort only of the tax is out of date I take the plates off. But I do it without an ounce of guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Victor_M wrote: »
    Will don't ever park you're car outside my house for 2 months at a time. I'm no scumbag, I just have a proactive approach to inconsiderate gob****es!

I should add before I hear the clippty clop of the high horses.

I always ring the guards first to see if the car has been reported stolen, I leave a note on the windshield asking politely for the owner to move the car, and as a last resort only of the tax is out of date I take the plates off. But I do it without an ounce of guilt.

What gives you the right to do this? It's not parked on your property. If the car is taxed then it can be parked wherever the owner feels like it. He/she has just as much right to park there as you.

Fair enough - check with the gardai if the car is stolen and if the tax is out then report it, but to vandalise somebody's car? That is taking it too far. As far as I'm concerned, that's the same as running a key down the side of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Ring the guards and tell them theres a stolen car dumped outside your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

What gives you the right to do this? It's not parked on your property. If the car is taxed then it can be parked wherever the owner feels like it. He/she has just as much right to park there as you.

Fair enough - check with the gardai if the car is stolen and if the tax is out then report it, but to vandalise somebody's car? That is taking it too far. As far as I'm concerned, that's the same as running a key down the side of a car.

With the onslaught of communal parking that Ireland has seen over the last ten years, many developments have insufficient amounts of communal parking spaces. A lot of scumbags see these as a convienient way of disposing of older cars they don't have the decency to properly dispose of themselves.
    I'm fairly certain that all of the cars I've had removed over the years have been abandoned by scumbags that are too cheap and don't have common decency or any form of respect for the neighbourhood, my tolerance lasts about 4 weeks after which I look after the situation myself. Most people It would seem do nothing but give out and rely on others to actually do something about it.

There have been a lot of threads on here over the years about abandoned cars and what to do.
    As has been stated by many others and myself, unless the cars are reported stolen the guards can't do anything, and unless it has no plates the council can't do anything.

You may disagree, I don't really give a damn to be honest, just don't park your car outside my house for 4 weeks plus with the tax out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sounds ultra fair to me to take the plates off if its been lying there for a month plus. the OP was a saint about this, it was being a nuisence outside his property for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions to stop a person illegally parking their car outside the house. This is kind of hard to explain, and I know that nobody has a right to park outside their own house, but this particular a$$hole neighbour actually double-parks (in the middle of the road) beside my frontage. Now, afaik, it is illegal to park more than 18 inches from the kerb.

The real problem is that the said neighbour happens to be quite friendly with the local sergeant, and when I politely pointed out this parking violation to the local Gardai, they didn't seem interested at all in enforcing the parking regulations.

So, any suggestions (legal or otherwise:D) on how to stop this practice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Aiden Off beat. I hope you werent refering to me as a scumbag, as that sounds like personal abuse. I am far from a scumbag. On the topic we were talking about, I went through the correct channels. Between both myself and my next door neighbour, we asked every house on our street, and the first few houses of the next street, and everybody said it wasnt their car. Gardai and council were rung, but didnt seem that bothered. Car didnt appear to be taxed, so shouldnt have been there. As another person here pointed out, if there was car parked for over a month in your drive or where you usually park you would have probably done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Sorry to dig up an old thread - but was wondering - if someone is parked half on the pavement, half on the road - is this illegal? I just spent a fortune removing my grass and putting down concrete as my car had been hit twice parked on the road (muppet drivers who don't look when reversing) and I go out yesterday morning to find a manky big white van parked on the pavement where i used to park - it didn't move all yesterday and I know it is not my neighbours either side (possibly the local scumballs down the bottom of the hill though). Now tbh the parking in my estate is crap and if he wants to park out there I don't really have a leg to stand on but with it being on the pavement it is an obstruction to my wife and the buggy not to mention a bloody eyesore when I look out my living room window. Am I legally correct in finding the owner and telling them they can't park on the pavement? Will the Gards ignore me if he doesn't move it, and finally how easy is it to remove number plates :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly number plates are usually held on with two small screws.
    Secondly, I though you needed permission to dig up the grass - you could end up in more trouble than the van owner.
    Lastly, the van was there for one day - its probably too early to go ringing the gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

As far as I know it is a pentaly points offence to park on a kerb? Same as crossing a continuous white line, but I may be wrong.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No.
    There are two that this is similar to but neither are the same:
    Driving on a footpath (1 / 3 points)
    Parking a vehicle in a dangerous position (M / 5 points)
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Wouldn't you have to drive on the footpath to park on it? ;) Only kidding.

Yeah, thought it had something to do with footpaths, but I guess you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

kbannon wrote: »
    Firstly number plates are usually held on with two small screws.
    Secondly, I though you needed permission to dig up the grass - you could end up in more trouble than the van owner.
    Lastly, the van was there for one day - its probably too early to go ringing the gardai!

Thanks for the valuable information - although you did manage to answer one of my questions here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

there was a car parked outside my house for over a month taking up my usual space. After the guards decided they couldnt do anything, I got into the car myself, released the handbrake and carefully placed it at the bottom of the hill....

Owners came with 2 hours and removed it. Job Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Can anybody help on this. There is a car parked outside my house on the road(Not in a parking space). The car has been there or 1 month now, sitting idle. The car isnt in the way but it is taking up 2 parking spaces where other neighbours would usually park, is this allowed as the car isnt being used, and asked 3 of my neighbours if it is theirs, so nobody knows who owns this car.

put a cloth over the cars rear bumper, pull up nice n close and kinda nudge her out of the way.... Job done.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

S.I.R wrote: »
    put a cloth over the cars rear bumper, pull up nice n close and kinda nudge her out of the way.... Job done.

Since the OP is 'timemachine' they will likely be able to go back the 7 months and do that..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    I got into the car myself, released the handbrake and carefully placed it at the bottom of the hill....

Owners came with 2 hours and removed it. Job Done.

How did you get into the car? Was it unlocked? :confused:

Advertisement