Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Smart speeds not what they were?

Options
  • 26-04-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

I'm not a happy bunny! :mad:

Router settings 31st Jan 08:

Connected true
    Operational Mode G.Dmt.BisPlus
    State Showtime
    Tx Bit Rate 863700
    Rx Bit Rate 20589440
    Local SNRMargin 8.5 dB
    Local Line Attn 21.0 dB
    Local Tx Power 12.4 dB
    Remote Line Attn 8.0 dB
    Remote SNRMargin 9.0 dB
    Standard G.Dmt.BisPlusAuto
    Code Type ADSL2

10th April 08:

Connected true
    State Showtime
    Tx Bit Rate 759200
    Rx Bit Rate 12665920
    Local SNRMargin 19.0 dB
    Local Line Attn 21.0 dB
    Local Tx Power 12.3 dB
    Remote Line Attn 8.0 dB
    Remote SNRMargin 12.0 dB
    Activate Line None
    Standard G,Dmt.BisPlusAuto
    Code Type ADSL2

Today at 10:15:

Connected true
    State Showtime
    Tx Bit Rate 576900
    Rx Bit Rate 9209160
    Local SNRMargin 26.0 dB
    Local Line Attn 22.5 dB
    Local Tx Power 12.3 dB
    Remote Line Attn 8.0 dB
    Remote SNRMargin 19.0 dB
    Activate Line None
    Code Type ADSL2

Today at 13:00:

Connected true
    State Showtime
    Tx Bit Rate 576900
    Rx Bit Rate 9209160
    Local SNRMargin 26.0 dB
    Local Line Attn 22.5 dB
    Local Tx Power 12.3 dB
    Remote Line Attn 8.0 dB
    Remote SNRMargin 19.0 dB
    Activate Line None
    Code Type ADSL2

Used to get 7 to 10MB download, then got 7 to 8MB, now down to 3MB. What's going on? Edit: Just done a speedtest on Blacknight site and got 1.42MB download I'm calling smrat first thing monday morning!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This one's odd, the line stats are good and seem fairly stable. I wonder if there's something introducing bursts of noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Spear what would do that? I know Smart were doing maintanance earlier this week, I have posted this on thier forum as well, so will see if anyone can shed any light on the subject.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Spear what would do that? I know Smart were doing maintanance earlier this week, I have posted this on thier forum as well, so will see if anyone can shed any light on the subject.

The earlier maintenance was on the southern half of the country and was on the central components not anything exchange specific.

Aside from speedtest.net have you tried something like a Linux iso from heanet.ie? I've found they're about the only source capable of sustained speeds enough to fill my 15 meg line.

I tried Blacknight and the smart tester, both gave similar responses :(

I tried Blacknight and the smart tester, both gave similar responses :(

My own stats
    DSL Status: Up
    DSL Modulation Mode: ADSL2+
    DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
    Downstream Rate: 17276 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 1098 Kbps
    Downstream Margin: 13 db
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 9
    Downstream Line Attenuation: 24
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 9

If anything your margin is better than mine so line wise at least there shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Looks like a spike of noise caused your line to lose sync with the exchange and then resync at about 8.5Mbps download - the last set of stats show your line should be well able to handle 15Mbps/16Mbps easily - have you tried rebooting your modem? Your speed won't go back up until your modem resync's with the exchange.

Here are the latest results from Smart, Blacknight and Speedtest.net:

Smart:
    up:481
    down:6259
    ping:42ms

Speedtest:
    up:475
    down:7512
    ping:86ms

Blacknight:
    up:92Kbps
    down:7.27Mbps
    ping:73ms

I have even reset my router and it's still bad. Please help or I am seriously thining of leaving smart. It took them 6 weeks to sort out a phone problem recently. (we couldn't call one 086 mobile number)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you posted on the Smart support forums? I've always found the admins there pretty quick with help. They can usually check your line fairly quickly and will report any issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Please help or I am seriously thining of leaving smart.
    I doubt they'll try and stop you (given that you're suggesting they're going out of business, because you have a problem with them!). Anyway, looks like your phone line is at fault. Have you changed any internal wiring lately, or added a phone or anything that might upset your line, in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Here are the latest results from Smart, Blacknight and Speedtest.net:

Smart:
    up:481
    down:6259
    ping:42ms

Speedtest:
    up:475
    down:7512
    ping:86ms

Blacknight:
    up:92Kbps
    down:7.27Mbps
    ping:73ms

I have even reset my router and it's still bad. Please help or I am seriously thining of leaving smart. It took them 6 weeks to sort out a phone problem recently. (we couldn't call one 086 mobile number)

You're complaining because you have 7Mb downloads? Get over it... some people can't even get broadband! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

carbsy wrote: »
    You're complaining because you have 7Mb downloads? Get over it... some people can't even get broadband! :rolleyes:

The point I'm making is I am paying for 8Mb, and not getting it! Would you feel happy if you were paying for a pint and only getting a half? I think not. Anyway a call will be going into Smart in the morning. I have even changed the DSL filter and it's still the same. No I haven't added any other things to the line, and I am using ethernet to connect to my router.

If I pay for a service I expect it. I wouldn't pay for 8Mb and be happy with 1Mb, otherwise I would go with Eirecom :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you asked about this on the Smart support forum?
    Suggest you change your thread title, btw.

Yes I have spurious, they say this:
    Online Speed tests are ok if you want a rough indication of speed but they are by no means an exact tool and certainly not iron clad proof of an ISP problem - considering the fact that they do not take into account any traffic already on your circuit - or how busy the speed test servers may be at the time - or the network path between you and the server. They also tend to get less accurate the larger connection you have due to the small data sets used in the tests (this explains some of the differences between different tests).

The line sync speed has you at over 9Mbps (ATM), this should give decent IP throughput of about 8Mb when utterly maxed out of it.

On two of those test you are getting a good bit over 7Mb (7.25Mb and 7.5Mb) on an 8Mb product.

Is this really causing you problems or is it just that the numbers dont appear to be what you expect them to be?

The reason I am upset is because recently I had been getting speeds of over 9Mb

Agreed should change the thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Thread title changed.

Advertisement