Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to change front brake pads - Peugeot 307???

Options
  • 26-04-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to change the front brake pads on a 2004 Peugeot 307 1.4 litre.

I've changed front pads before on older cars but not so sure about newer cars with ABS and new technology and all...

peugeot quoted me €155 to change these so I went out and bought a set of brake pads for €32 with the aim of doing it myself...

Is it a big deal to change these???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Pretty straight forward, just have to keep pistion held back with some kinda clamp.Jesus that's some price just to change pads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

There shouldn't be any major differences between your cars brake setup and older cars - the abs sensor is tucked out of your way, but be careful not to damage any wires around the brakes.

Non-original pads (in peugeot, anyway!) can cause very bad brake squeal - be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

Many thanks.. Will give it a try tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

let us know how you got on. I have an older car which I service myself. My wife has a newer car which I used to always send off to be serviced.

Then the prices really started to go up celtic tiger and all. So I decided to service the modern car too. all those covers and electronics are really off putting.

However one internet dvd later and the modern car is easy to service and at one fifth the price, and I'm not talking dealer prices.

There is a catch I can't reset the service reporting on the computer, its a merc so maybe someone knows how to. plus I use only top quality parts and fluids.

Plus lack of service history maybe a problem down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

stratos wrote: »
    There is a catch I can't reset the service reporting on the computer, its a merc so maybe someone knows how to. plus I use only top quality parts and fluids.

Try this - not sure if it applies to all models but worth a go...

Move key to position "2".

Within the first 4 seconds after moving the key to position 2, press the reset button for the trip counter twice within one second. The display for the service request is activated for about 10 seconds.

Within these 10 seconds, move the key into position "0". The service request continues to be displayed.

Press the reset button for trip counter and keep it pressed.

Move the key into position "2".

Continue to hold the reset button for the trip counter pressed until the signal sounds and the new start distance appears in the display (it takes about 10 seconds).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The ABS pump gets damaged in certain cars if you just force the pistons back in , open the bleed nipple to release the fluid as you push them back. Then top it up with fresh fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

bushy... wrote: »
    The ABS pump gets damaged in certain cars if you just force the pistons back in , open the bleed nipple to release the fluid as you push them back. Then top it up with fresh fluid.

I've changed both back and front pads on my wifes 307 and never bothered doing this.I just kept the piston held back and it worked perfectly

You should be fine with the peugeot - the more modern opels are a bit delicate when doing brakes, you have to open the bleed nipple to push the piston back.

When you are pushing it back, do it slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

land9 wrote: »
    Non-original pads (in peugeot, anyway!) can cause very bad brake squeal - be warned!

Easily cured with copper grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bushy... wrote: »

Yes always open the bleed nipple. Why risk damage for the sake of opening it. Very high possibility of damage to abs cars and even with older stuff you can invert the seals in the master cylinder by forcing fluid backwards through the system.
    Bleed brakes after though. Its a good idea also to only pump pedal down to normal braking position when bleeding i.e. not to floor. Seals can be damaged 'cleaning up' the rarely used section of travel within the master cylinder.

• Advertisement

Ya can grease em up, it won't make a lot of difference. You have to chamfer the edge of the pad and cut a recess into the middle with a hacksaw blade - and that won't guarantee a squeak free brake.

Or stick it to the road to burn off any excess dust is the easiest method.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

OK.. Sorted.

I think we can all learn something from this thread other than how to change peugeot brakes... Always chech your brake pads yourself and don't take the word of a dealer..

The reason I wanted to change the front pads was because when I took the car in for an anual service the dealer infromed me that I need to change the front brake pads as they are at lifes end and it would cost a small fortune. I said no thanks, I would take care of this myself.

Bought new pads and some DOT 4 brake fluid. After reading all your helpful posts got stuck in only to find that the brake pads are not even worn halfway through. At least a year and a half left in them, maybe even two the way I drive...

Back to the changing of the pads...
    Easy as pie..
    I found it easier to change these modern brake pads than on older cars. Took them out to inspect them and put them back no problem. 5 minute job.
    Realy simple.. If I put the new pads in I would have opened the bleed nipple but there was no need.
    I think my fears were unfounded.
    I would recomend to anyone; do it yourself.... Well easy!

Listen lads, thanks for the advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Glad to hear it all worked out.

Those Peugeot dealers..... My wife is on her third Peugeot - she usually gets main dealer servicing as the cars are new and within warranty and we all know the risks with Peugeot electrics etc. They (we've used three Peugeot dealers for servicing) have always advised the wrong service intervals, suggesting ones that are much shorter than those in the handbook - a handy money making racket. We got a letter from her dealer during the week claiming that the service intervals are 16,000 km (the handbook says 30,000 km) - that'd be a nice earner over the lifetime of the car. This policy seems to be curiously consistent between Peugeot dealers.

Advertisement