Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs sign Luka Modric

• 26-04-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Tottenham Hotspur signs Luka Modric for transfer record of £15.5m
    Gary Jacob

Tottenham Hotspur this morning agreed a deal to sign Luka Modric believed to be for a minimum of €20m (about £15.5m), breaking their transfer record.

The Barclays Premier League club have beaten competition from Newcastle United, Chelsea and Manchester City for the signature of the Croatia midfield player from Dynamo Zagreb. There are believed to be add-ons to take the fee to £20.5m.

Modric flew to London this morning to have a medical, discuss personal terms, and is expected to watch the match against Bolton Wanderers today. Modric has been offered a five-year contract. Newcastle offered £16m.

Modric, 22, was instrumental in helping his country to beat England 3-2 in the crucial European Championship qualifying match at Wembley in November, a defeat that led to Steve McClaren's departure as England head coach.
    Related Links

* Spurs launch move for playmaker

Modric's vision and passing have earned praise from many observers and he can play on the left side of midfield or as a playmaker behind the forwards.

Ramos's priority is to sign at least one goalkeeper, two defenders and a forward. Tottenham's first choice is Carlos Kameni, of Espanyol, but the deal has hit an unspecified sticking point. The Espanyol player can be bought for €6m (about £4.7m).

They have also looked at Heurelho Gomes, who has been valued at £12mby PSV Eindhoven. Tottenham have watched Maarten Stekelenburg but have doubts about the Ajax goalkeeper. Also in their sights are Diego López, the Villarreal player, and Marco Amelia, the Livorno goalkeeper who was in the Italy squad that won the World Cup in 2006.

Absolutely shocked, amazed, flabergasted, delighted with this piece of news.

Came from absolutely nowhere. Think he's a quality player who will make a big difference to the spurs team.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Exellent playmaker who can control the tempo of a game.

Good signing for Spurs, esp. since there were probably a host of CL clubs coveting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Too good for Spurs.

Can't wait to see him weekly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Absaloute quality.Coup of the year i'd say seeing as there was a lot of intertes in him.He's going to be a star and as you said bring much needed quality to spurs. Since i first saw him play a few years ago i always thought he was going to become a class act.

Super signing for spurs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If they can keep Berbatov they will be a serious threat to the top 4 next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Another example of insane Premiership money. spending a potential 20 million on an unproven player from the Croatian League.the fact it was Newcastle were also in for him says it all really. Did Ramos sign him or is this a DoF job?.

Normally the summer tournament happens first before clubs spend crazy money on the next big thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think he will be an unbelievable player in a year or two. Dont get me wrong, hes already fantastic. Great signing and one I would have loved Liverpool to make. Spurs have pulled off a great bit of business there. Him, Keane & Berbatov will be a great combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Deep down inside I thought he was Barca bound. :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I watched him a lot and must say i will get over him his new t-shirt,great player,i watched him,i think he will move to better teams after Tottenahm,although he could do that now already but i think this is smart move coz in Spurs he will have more minutes and be in starting 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

jaaysus, some player him. great capture for spurs. best player ive never seen.

Its funny, my Croatian mate, doesn't like Modric for the same reason Irish people don't like McGeady.

He has his flaws. McGeady has more talent. If Spurs have McGeady and Modric next season they will finish in top 4.

• Advertisement

Its funny, my Croatian mate, doesn't like Modric for the same reason Irish people don't like McGeady.

He has his flaws. McGeady has more talent. If Spurs have McGeady and Modric next season they will finish in top 4.

does your croatian friend play football manager too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Grrrrr, Spurs used their Jew magic to pull this one off. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

McGeady has more talent

hah.
    If Spurs have McGeady and Modric next season they will finish in top 4.

Double hah. What an idiotic comment :)

You dont even know who Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea and anyone else will sign this summer so how can you say that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Mcgeady is utter tripe.You cant compare them

What? He's class in Football Manager. If his opinion was based on Football Manager he would not say he has flaws. Saying he has flaws shows he has an informed opinion of him. McGeady is costing 12 million and people say he is overrated.

What? He's class in Football Manager. If his opinion was based on Football Manager he would not say he has flaws. Saying he has flaws shows he has an informed opinion of him. McGeady is costing 12 million and people say he is overrated.

:confused:

anyway

just so i know lads, what channel is the croation league on?

McGeady is costing 12 million and people say he is overrated.

Mcgeady is overrated.He produced the goods against benfica and then ......nothing.

Jermaine pennant is a better winger than Mcgeady!

All that price does,is show that british players are stupidly priced.

Mcgeady can do tricks,cant cross the ball and rarely does anything of substance when he beats his man.At least with old jermaine,you know if he beats his man then a quality ball will be crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

And now Liverpool get Lennon. Good, very good...:)

Orizio wrote: »
    And now Liverpool get Lennon. Good, very good...:)

hope not:(

Spurs reject,hes rubish aswell!

dc69 wrote: »
    Mcgeady is overrated.He produced the goods against benfica and then ......nothing.

Jermaine pennant is a better winger than Mcgeady!

All that price does,is show that british players are stupidly priced.

Mcgeady can do tricks,cant cross the ball and rarely does anything of substance when he beats his man.At least with old jermaine,you know if he beats his man then a quality ball will be crossed.

Just stop. Pennant is not even close to the talent level that McGeady has. He has 13 assists this season. Don't say 'cos its in a **** league'' he still has to cross the ball and pick a man out.

Oh and El Rabitos you need to manually place your sky digital dish in order to recieve Croatian TV.

• Advertisement

Just stop. Pennant is not even close to the talent level that McGeady has. He has 13 assists this season. Don't say 'cos its in a **** league'' he still has to cross the ball and pick a man out.

Oh and El Rabitos you need to manually place your sky digital dish in order to recieve Croatian TV.

you stop talking rubbish,mcgeady isnt on the same level as modric.As a liverpool fan if you offered me mcgeady for pennant,i would say no.He is rubbish.

you might also want to compare the stats some more.Pennant has played about 1/3 of the amount of games mcgeady has.He is also playing in a harder league.

The whole point of my argument is that mcgeady cant cross!he is useless.Pennant's delivery is about 100X better than mceadys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

It is a **** league, SPL fullbacks versus PL fullbacks? i'd get a few assists season if i were playing Gretna 3 times a season

Dunno if Pennant is better then Mcgeady, only one way to find out, come on down to the PL Mcgeady, MON might hold you close to his Bosum at Villa Park. (although he'd be on the bench whatwith Gabby & Ashley)

As for modric, 2 words: Bosko Balaban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

you stop talking rubbish,mcgeady isnt on the same level as modric.As a liverpool fan if you offered me mcgeady for pennant,i would say no.He is rubbish.

As a Spurs fan I would probably prefer Pennant over McGeady. McGeady would never hack it in the PL imo.

you might also want to compare the stats some more.Pennant has played about 1/3 of the amount of games mcgeady has.He is also playing in a harder league.

The whole point of my argument is that mcgeady cant cross!he is useless.Pennant's delivery is about 100X better than mceadys

That England match must have had such an impact on you.

Babybing wrote: »
    As a Spurs fan I would probably prefer Pennant over McGeady. McGeady would never hack it in the PL imo.

thanks,you reading this estaban?

I do think mcgeady would be good in spain though.Still,he aint worth 12 million to anyone.

How can you prove he wouldn't hack it?

He's fast, he has a lot of skill(more than most wingers in the EPL)....The only thing he aint got is great physical strength.

What gives you the impression Modric will hack it? Sure I could create a few assists playing against Zadar.

That England match must have had such an impact on you.

Do you have some sort of obsesion mith mcgeady because he plays for Ireland?

why do you think he is so good?

Il admit he was very good against benfica but he doesnt do anything week in and out.

I suggest you watch the Liverpool match now.Pennant is running amuck,taking the piss out of the birmingham fullbacks,who are probably nearly as good as any in the spl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Brilliant signing for Spurs, just what they needed a skillful attacking playmaker, sign a few defenders and a keeper and they will be a huge threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Great signing for Spurs. Now all they need is a real box to box midfielder, more defenders especially CB, and they'll be very very impressive.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Great signing for Spurs. Now all they need is a real box to box midfielder, more defenders especially CB, and they'll be very very impressive.

If Ramos feels like opening the wallet,they can have Gerrard for 70 million:)

If Ramos feels like opening the wallet,they can have Gerrard for 70 million:)

Great we'll give you Lennon+5mil;)

lol, Liverpool fans would be stupid to want Lennon. Nowhere near good enough.

If Spurs sign a DM/MC in a box to box mould, another pacey winger to replace Lennon, and another CB, they'll be in really good shape.

I'm not sure who to get in the DM/MC position or the CB position, but SWP should surely be a big target for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do you have some sort of obsesion mith mcgeady because he plays for Ireland?

why do you think he is so good?

Il admit he was very good against benfica but he doesnt do anything week in and out.

I suggest you watch the Liverpool match now.Pennant is running amuck,taking the piss out of the birmingham fullbacks,who are probably nearly as good as any in the spl.

OH RLY?

Then please explain how he got player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

el rabitos wrote: »
    best player ive never seen.

Your ignorance is no excuse...;)

Berbatov almost certain to leave, this new contract situation is a problem from next season onwards as he has only two years left on his.

I've heard chairman Daniel Levy did all the legwork on this move.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    OH RLY?

Then please explain how he got player of the year.

because he plays in a league that is of championship standard and the bottom clubs even less,I dont think he has been consistent and he is just overrated.They talk about him in the spl like he is messi.Also there arent many great SPL players to pick from.He is unique to that league(in his skill),I still stick by my pennant comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

because he plays in a league that is of championship standard and the bottom clubs even less,I dont think he has been consistent and he is just overrated.They talk about him in the spl like he is messi.Also there arent many great SPL players to pick from.He is unique to that league(in his skill),I still stick by my pennant comment.

But you made the sweeping statement that
    he doesnt do anything week in and out

That's crap. You don't get player of the year on one or two good games. You also don't get lavished with praise when you play shit in Europe.

To say he does nothing every week is pure crap, especially in the wake of getting two fairly big awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i should just admit that i am heartbroken that Modric is gone to Spurs, had my heart set on him being at Anfield next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this is a case of "Hello Luka, Bye Bye Berba".

He might be available for a bit less than would be expected in order to balance the books. Maybe United can get him for around 16 million. He could be the next Teddy Sheringham for us.

He might be available for a bit less than would be expected in order to balance the books. Maybe United can get him for around 16 million. He could be the next Teddy Sheringham for us.

Haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You do realise that Spurs are a rich club don't you?

If Roy Keane at sunderland has £50million to spend this summer you can be sure as **** Spurs have more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Great signing for Spurs, he'll be alot better than Malhranque anyway!

Seaneh wrote: »

If Roy Keane at sunderland has £50million to spend this summer you can be sure as **** Spurs have more.

How rich are they really though? They forked out a huge amount for Bent last season and now they've done so again for Modric. They will have to recoup some of it. The comments today by Ramos suggest to me that Berbatov will be let go if a reasonable offer comes in.

I'd say all this talk of £30m by Spurs for Berbatov is just posturing. Maybe Chelsea would be willing to pay that but if they're not interested then Man Utd would appear to be the likely option. If they really want a deal then it's surely going to be in the realm of £16-25m.

I'd be astonished if Berbatov is with Spurs by the start of next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Spurs can afford to spend 40million this summer without having to sell anyone, trust me.

If Berbatov leaves it won't be because they need the money, it will because he wants to leave in which case they will easilly get 20-25 million for him.

Milan/Inter/Man U/Whoever else is interested in him would pay that for a player of his quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is this a Ramos signing or Commoli? if boateng comes good they could be a decent midfield. Ramos rarely signs players they were bought for him at sevilla he just made them play.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Melion wrote: »
    If they can keep Berbatov they will be a serious threat to the top 4 next season

They were supposed to do that this season.

Spurs can afford to spend 40million this summer without having to sell anyone, trust me.

If Berbatov leaves it won't be because they need the money, it will because he wants to leave in which case they will easilly get 20-25 million for him.

Milan/Inter/Man U/Whoever else is interested in him would pay that for a player of his quality.

Well time will tell I suppose but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Modric move was made with the assumption that Berbatov would be moving on at a later date. It also wouldn't surprise me if a deal is eventually made along the lines of £16/17m + Saha. Then again I'll admit that could be wishful thinking on my part. :)

Will be an interesting one to watch. Regardless of what happens I think Spurs have scored a great coup in getting Modric. I enjoyed watching him against England and he looks a great player for the big occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Babybing wrote: »

That's insane. You already know that Pennant isn't good enough to break the top 4 based on what he's done so far. Mcgeady really isn't going to do much worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Didn't spurs' owner get some incredibly rotten amount of money wiped off his value with the bearings bank debacle. I remember hearing on ze radio that he lost billions.

I know his personal fortunes doesn't directly effect club finances but he'd still like them to turn a profit and spending big (plus the wages) would impact that.

Personally I see spurs offloading berbs for some moola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Melion wrote: »

didnt i hear that last year?

adding one player to a side who are currently 11th in the EPL isnt going to change anything. their defence is woeful. imo, at least 2 more years before spurs can challenge for top six never mind top four

That's just silly. They massively underperformed this year, massively. Their defence ain't great, but they've added two great defenders in Hutton and Woodgate. Another top quality CB and they'll have a real good defence.
    Their strike force is actually one of the best in country.
    They have very good wingers, and all they need imo is a top quality CM and they can challenge for top 4.

They also have a great manager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement