Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those green things with black bags over them in town?

Options
  • 26-04-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Anoyone know what those green things with black bags over them in town are?

One outside accesorise at moon's corner and another outside ulster bank/vodafone at eyre square!

They're there for a good while now, starting to get quite curious!? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Pics, we need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most likely letterboxes which haven't been "opened" yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Way too small to be letterboxes. They're like longer, thinner fire hydrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

i cant believe no one mentioned this before now!?

il try get pics, wont be in town for a while though!

someone has to have a pic?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sounds like a phone exchange, but not sure why there's a black bag over them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    i cant believe no one mentioned this before now!?

il try get pics, wont be in town for a while though!

someone has to have a pic?!
    I think they look like those polls that stop traffic going down a street (the automated things for deliveries).

Don't know why they've been wrapped up in those minging looking black bin-liners for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I have the answer!

They are vents. A 20 foot pole has to be added to them to take the pongy smell (which we usually get in the summer) away from the people walking the street. The Council just completed one beside AIB Lynch's Castle (Abbeygate Street side) which is about 20 feet tall.

Do I win anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I have the answer!

They are vents. A 20 foot pole has to be added to them to take the pongy smell (which we usually get in the summer) away from the people walking the street. The Council just completed one beside AIB Lynch's Castle (Abbeygate Street side) which is about 20 feet tall.

Do I win anything?

those Polski's are a fairly tall lot but using them to take the stink away from Galwegians is taking the p!ss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I have the answer!

Do I win anything?
    In that case, I would have gladly sponsored a few to get rid of that awful pong that has plagued our fine city for so long. Maybe this act by the council is in response to the letter published in the Advertiser a few weeks back by a foreigner (Australian, I think) who conveyed their disgust at the awful stench in the city. It worked! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Are there 2 cables trailing from them across the street? If so, they may be some of the boxes for measuring traffic; there seem to be a huge amount of them around at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I have the answer!

Do I win anything?

wow, really wasn't expecting that one!

you sure yeah?

that gammy smell, worst thing about galway in the warm months!

do you win anything? eh, no dodgey galway smell? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    wow, really wasn't expecting that one!

you sure yeah? :D

Positive. A guy who works for the Council told me about them.

Advertisement