Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so many place names in Ireland start with "KIL"?

Options
  • 26-04-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Kilkenny, Kildare, kilrush, kilbride, Killucan, Killaloe, killarney, kilbarrick...

What is the reason in our language or history for this, or is it known?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_names_in_Irish

Its in there near the start in the etymology list. remember doing this in primary school.

EDIT: don't take the rest of that article as gospel, but from a quick scan of the list it seems more or less accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

As far as i can remember, anywhere beginning with KIL meant the town was named after it's Church? So you'll more than likely find very old examples of churches, or ruins of church in any of these places

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

• Ard- ard - 'high'
    • Ath- áth - 'ford'
    • Bally- baile - 'town' or in several instances, béal átha - 'mouth of the ford'
    • Bel- béal - 'mouth'
    • Carry/Carrick/Carrig- carraig - 'rock'
    • Clon- Cluain - a meadow
    • Derry- doire - 'grove'
    • Dona- domhnach - 'church'
    • Dun- dún - 'fort'
    • Glas- glas - 'green'
    • Glen- Gleann - a valley
    • Inish- inis - island or strand
    • Kill- cill - church
    • Knock- cnoc - 'hill'
    • Rath- rath - 'fort'
    • Slieve- sliabh - 'mountain'

Ah, church it is!

This is a pretty good list, i think its good to know these things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

snyper wrote: »
    • Ard- ard - 'high'
    • Ath- áth - 'ford'
    • Bally- baile - 'town' or in several instances, béal átha - 'mouth of the ford'
    • Bel- béal - 'mouth'
    • Carry/Carrick/Carrig- carraig - 'rock'
    • Clon- Cluain - a meadow
    • Derry- doire - 'grove'
    • Dona- domhnach - 'church'
    • Dun- dún - 'fort'
    • Glas- glas - 'green'
    • Glen- Gleann - a valley
    • Inish- inis - island or strand
    • Kill- cill - church
    • Knock- cnoc - 'hill'
    • Rath- rath - 'fort'
    • Slieve- sliabh - 'mountain'

Ah, church it is!

This is a pretty good list, i think its good to know these things :)

Dear God didn't you do Irish in school or you one of these foreigners that are allowed on here from time to time ;)
    Where is there a mod when you need them :D
    It is one of the first things I was thought in primary school along with the fact that all sasannachs are up to no good and the French God bless them tried to set us free when they landed in Killala :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Also "Coill" translating to "wood" (as in a group of trees, not the material) is sometimes anglicised as Kil-.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

backboiler wrote: »
    Also "Coill" translating to "wood" (as in a group of trees, not the material) is sometimes anglicised as Kil-.

Has anyone noticed how a lot of new housing developments are using Irish terms like this but just combining them to make a nice sounding name. Recently I spotted Rathdun meaning fort fort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Millucc

Sure it wasn't 'Fort Closed'? ;)

There's no coherent national policy AFAIK. Its up to individual city and county councils. I've seen some absoute humdingers recently.

Some good ones in this...

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/property/2006/0921/1158590845996.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

What about Kilwangan, the town where our young protagonist Lyndon Barry was shortly to be overcome by a deep sense of melancholy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Speaking for townland names, I was recently informed of a "Ratharse" in Laois. Apparently its convieniently located in between two hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Since this thread keeps going, don't they teach this sort of thing in school anymore? i.e. kill/cill as church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just shows how my town has such a original name, especially in relation to the rest of ireland
    Hospital, co.limerick

Advertisement