Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail units to Let

• 26-04-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

was in London last week -
    there was some empty Retail units in the City

they well all clean - looked good -
    with large poster in them of scenery, fruit, and small to let or for sale signs

could Waterford city Council encourage something like this
    and keep the city looking good???

and get rid of all the graffiti in the city centre as soon as its put up

london has a Zero tolerence policy on it - it must be removed in 48 hours of litter fine will ensue on the property owner!

any thoughts or actions????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

london has a Zero tolerence policy on it - it must be removed in 48 hours of litter fine will ensue on the property owner!

This is a brilliant idea! It would be in the interests of property owners in the city centre to actually use their properties if something like this was imposed.

But could also deter investers from setting up in the city.....

I do like the idea though, should be raised with the council.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I would love to see that policy brought in nationwide. I think all buildings, occupied and unoccupied should be kept up to a high standard. Rundown buildings are eyesores and have a negative effect on tourism. Definitely something I would love to see introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

I hate seeing clothes drying on balconies I know we're suppose to be Eco friendly and it saves using dryers but I still hate seeing it

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

next wrote: »
    I hate seeing clothes drying on balconies I know we're suppose to be Eco friendly and it saves using dryers but I still hate seeing it

Gotta do it somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

any thoughts or actions????

So let me see if I understand this correctly. I own a shop in town and every night some little toe rag puts paint on my walls and instead of my tax being used to fund the police to catch the toe rag I should be fined instead.
    It already costs me a fortune in rates and service charges but now I have to pay out again because no one blames the culprits.
    Surely that is treating the disease and not the cause of the disease.
    We shouldn't allow our police services inability to deal with vandalism be a reason to tax law abiding citizens even more.
    Punish the toe rags not the property owners:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The idea is good, but there is improvements or adjustments that could be made to it. In fairness, sunnyse raises a good point about the paint issue. Maybe just putting up the posters would be a start. Stop the local pubs and clubs putting their own posters on derelict building having them blow off and litter the streets. Posters in the shop window fronts is a great idea and should be introduced but sunnyse has a good point. If graffiti was to be painted over immediately surely it's just giving vandals a nice clean canvas to practise on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sunnyse wrote: »
    So let me see if I understand this correctly. I own a shop in town and every night some little toe rag puts paint on my walls and instead of my tax being used to fund the police to catch the toe rag I should be fined instead.

I don't think thats the system. Tbh, I think its geared more towards derelict buildings and buildings that the owners don't keep clean.

If someone vandalises your property - report the incident. Once the Police are happy, clean down the wall. If you don't, and over a period of time its still not removed, expect to get fined. Its all about keeping the place looking clean and tidy. Nothing worse then driving through a city and seeing unkempt vandalised buildings that are unoccupied or occupied.
    It already costs me a fortune in rates and service charges but now I have to pay out again because no one blames the culprits.
    We shouldn't allow our police services inability to deal with vandalism be a reason to tax law abiding citizens even more.

I don't think anybody suggested that the police ignore the criminals. An investigation would still go ahead, but you would be expected to get the property cleaned. Likewise if you got a stone through your window, you would get it replaced - even if the culprit was not found.

Fact is, a lot of buildings are ugly and unkempt in citys. They need to be kept clean and tidy. If its vandalised, you should always clean it up regardless of such a system in place. The system just unsures that such buildings are kept clean.

I like the way in the new KK Shopping center they have such a system in place in the shops that are not occupied. It makes the place look a lot cleaner then looking into vacant shops with paint over the windows to stop people looking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deisehead

I would just like to say one thing about the run down and neglected buildings, Well one building in the city where it is home to a local news paper for the last number of years ! PAINT THE PLACE ! Not like they are short a euro or 2 !
    It looks disgraceful to anyone driving to the multistory carpark !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

what about we put together a list of derilect buildings -
    dirty buildings
    and buildings needing a touch of paint!¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Get a grip would you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

Get a grip would you.

insightful...thanks for that, it's been a great help to all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

the problem is the public seeing Graffitti and **** looking buildings -
    never mind the mindless vandels -
    as a source of civic pride - lets keep a zero tolerence on grafitti
    paint it over as soon as it happens -

if u notice places where it is in the city - more and more of it appears -
    ie - kings terrace, sargents lane, back of Cinema etc

so if we as citizens keep it right - it will stay right!
    ZERO TOLERENCE!

Advertisement