Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling with polished Porcelain tiles..

Options
  • 26-04-2008 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have done a lot of tiling around the house with ceramics. Renovating the bathroom & have found lovely polished porcelain tiles for the walls & floor.

Are these difficult to tile with? Is any special cutter required? Can they be placed ontofloorboards? Any other tips & info greatfully received

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Not sure about the rest of the questions, but any time i've been prepping a floor for tiles (while labouring for a contractor) i was always made put sheets of 6mm ply down onto the floorboards before the tiles. It has to be nailed with 1/2" ringshank nails, every 4" square, in a grid pattern which makes the floor act as 1 surface onto which to lay the tiles. Rather than a load of separate floorboards. Reduces movement and possibility of cracking tiles/adhesive/grout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You will need a wet tile cutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Polished porcelain tiles would be very slippy for a bathroom floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Not sure about the rest of the questions, but any time i've been prepping a floor for tiles (while labouring for a contractor) i was always made put sheets of 6mm ply down onto the floorboards before the tiles. It has to be nailed with 1/2" ringshank nails, every 4" square, in a grid pattern which makes the floor act as 1 surface onto which to lay the tiles. Rather than a load of separate floorboards. Reduces movement and possibility of cracking tiles/adhesive/grout.

I laid a thick tiled porcelain floor in our kitchen on top of a floated floor (as above), laid in a new house by a builder who staked his life on it NEVER MOVING A millimetre.

On top of this I put 14k's worth of fitted kitched.

The battons upon which the floor was built were incorrect and not kiln dried. They ended up shrinking in places (as the house got warm and dried out), twisting the 6mil ply and cracking my fine tiled floor.

The moral of this story? In my very humble opinion, avoid using porcelain tiles on floated floors, especially ones that are not laid correctly as you will get cracking and the floor had to have moved sufficiently to have cracked thick tiles (btw I used flexible floor adhesive also :mad: but it didnt help).

on a more upbeat note, I used two angle grinders with diamond tip steel grinding wheels. The larger grinder I used with a water feed (to save the blade). The smaller I did not...

FBP.

Advertisement