Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge difference in speed tests on different computers

Options
  • 26-04-2008 7:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently got upgraded to NTL 12mb. I have a Linksys wireless router connected to the NTL (Scientific Atlanta) modem. From my laptop, I get decent speeds: 11,615kbps down, 833kbps up

However,on my Desktop (Dell DImension 5000, 3GB Ram, XP Home - connected via Belkin usb wireless adaptor) I'm getting significantly slower speeds: 3,796kbps down, 703kbps up.

Even before the upgrade when I was on the 6mb line I was getting better speeds than this.

How can I diagnose this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Zascar wrote: »
    How can I diagnose this problem?

Dump the Belkin. That'll be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Dump the Belkin. That'll be a good starting point.

+1 i've never had a belkin product that was anything but substandard, poorly designed rubbish... you get what you pay for I guess

Also i'd move the desktop to the same location as the laptop and test your speeds again. Alternatively you could just move the laptop to the location of your desktop and test. If the speeds are still the same, then plug the belkin wireless adapter into the laptop and test it with that connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

L31mr0d wrote: »
    i've never had a belkin product that was anything but substandard, poorly designed rubbish... you get what you pay for I guess

Completely off topic:
    I have to disagree, although most Belkin products are crap, especially their wi-fi products, which I have alot of first hand experience of, and lots of problems too. I'm rather attached to my Belkin Nostromo Speedpad n52, I find it hard to game without it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I found Belkin stuff to be good quality except for their wireless products so of course I recommend to the OP they change too :D

When I first moved into my current house they were using a wireless router from Belkin and asked why it kept cutting out and had to be restarted every day.

A Google search later and it turns out its a flaw with the router and Belkin know about it but are refusing to release any more firmware updates for the product leaving everyon with it screwed.

Would never buy a wireless product from them again after reading about what the owners of that went through. Bought a Linksys and no problems since.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

played around with a few thngs and its fixed now... no idea what happened but I'm not getting 1.5mb per second! mmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Try NATing your connection.

EDIT - just seen you got sorted, great!

Advertisement