Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New priest

Options
  • 26-04-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hi all,

Decided to roll a priest as we desperatly need a decent one in the guild who will take raiding seriously. And so far i find it quite an enjoyable toon to play, granted i can barely take 2 mobs at a time who are a few lvls above me, but it can be done. What i want to know is what stats whould i be looking for ? So far i have a set with +healing for instances, but they lack mana regen so ive stuck +spirit on them... Is that right ? Or woudl i be better sticking +int on them for a higher mana pool ?

Ive been using staffs so far ( just hit 26 ) but should i be looking for a sword/dagger and some off hand combo?

I suppose im just looking for some starting tips for leveling, instances are no problem at all, i can get away with just power shield and flash heal for the tank, and regen on the rest of the group... Well apart form when you have the dps warrior who loves to use rend on everything.. so i usually let him die if he keeps doing it as he ends up wasting all my mana.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

woulda said go shadow 1 -> 70 then disc/holy or holy/disc depending on whats needed and if you pvp etc... keeping your wand up to date is great for leveling too, quite nice damage at lowish levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Worst thing about leveling a priest is the downtime.
    You should focus on +dmg. Definitely go shadow, put points in the mana regen buff (cant remember whats its called atm, its like tier 1 shadow talents) right away and then just head for shadowform with mind flay etc.

go shadow
    you can heal anything as shadow up to and including 70; it's heroics and onward where you need to be holy

put points in spirit tap, then use VT as soon as you can, eventually
    mana won't be a prob
    and spir + int + sta are what you want

suppose im just looking for some starting tips for leveling, instances are no problem at all, i can get away with just power shield and flash heal
    Eh no
    shield is for emergencies because it eats mana
    ditto for flash heal
    i cant remember what stuff you get at your level, but do not get into the habit of using shield and flash

when grinding, use rank1 psy scream and mind flay and dot away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Anti wrote: »
    Hi all,

Decided to roll a priest as we desperatly need a decent one in the guild who will take raiding seriously.

We actually need a guild who will take raiding seriously. We've healers who overheal, a tank who's respeccing to arms for his own purposes, unscheduled adhoc raids ****ing with scheduled ones and loot whores who d/c after the boss that doesn't drop what they went there for. Rolling a priest won't help at all. Like I said in the guild forum I'll respec to resto if this is sorted out but if I'm stuck doing heroics and dailies then I'm staying elemental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Macros42 wrote: »
    We actually need a guild who will take raiding seriously. We've healers who overheal, a tank who's respeccing to arms for his own purposes, unscheduled adhoc raids ****ing with scheduled ones and loot whores who d/c after the boss that doesn't drop what they went there for. Rolling a priest won't help at all. Like I said in the guild forum I'll respec to resto if this is sorted out but if I'm stuck doing heroics and dailies then I'm staying elemental.

Well thats only 4 people out off a guild of 180 people. But i wont get into that here. Plus you respeccing to resto will do no good as your dps is pretty awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

well I'd say 50% of those are alts and a lot are inactive. As for my DPS - I've stopped using Wizard Oil and flasks in Kara cos they keep getting me killed. Even watching Omen carefully I can still manage to pull agro with a badly timed crit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

For leveling a priest i encourage you to specc shadow, as said above you can heal any instance up to outland respectivley. Its good to heal in lower instances as a shadow priest as it helps you become a better healer as you will find you need to prioritise your heals more and learn to precast heals etc etc

For priests you should focus on Int/Sprt first and then Stamina, dont worry too much about mana regen until your level 70. As your mana pool should last any boss fight prior to kara/heroics.

For leveling shadow go with something like:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/priest/talents.html?tal=5002300130000000000000000000000000000000000500252410241103051551

However if you really wanna level holy go with:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/priest/talents.html?tal=5042000130500120000000232051030320150530030000000000000000000000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bluewolf wrote: »
    shield is for emergencies because it eats mana
    ditto for flash heal
    i cant remember what stuff you get at your level, but do not get into the habit of using shield and flash
    Ditto this. Another reason for not using shield on the tank is that the damage they receive causes rage, which allows them to hold aggro (assuming theyre not tankadins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ah i see what you mean about the bubble alright. Will give it a try tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Indeed, power word: Shield is really a quick measure to ensure that the tank or dps doesnt die while you are in the middle of something. Renew (with the improved talented version) is the most mana efficient healing spell available to the priest, although this has undoubtedly changed since I played mine with the advent of PoM and Binding heal.

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote: »
    Indeed, power word: Shield is really a quick measure to ensure that the tank or dps doesnt die while you are in the middle of something. Renew (with the improved talented version) is the most mana efficient healing spell available to the priest, although this has undoubtedly changed since I played mine with the advent of PoM and Binding heal.

PoM is my best friend <3 I'd use it before shield tbh
    Awesome in arca - my pala healer friend was moaning about the part with the mob that does the aoe damage, but all you have to do on priest is cast PoM and watch it ding-ding-ding :D

Renew before I specced holy + got decent spirit was a problem mana-wise for me, but now yeah I keep it ticking on MT at all times

Flash heal is a pain and eats mana though - another emergency-only spell

Yer better off using rank 1 GH when you're at a high level, does nice healing especially if it crits and won't eat your mana

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ditto this. Another reason for not using shield on the tank is that the damage they receive causes rage, which allows them to hold aggro (assuming theyre not tankadins)
    Taking less dmg = less mana returned through Spiritual Attunement = less aggro.

Advertisement