Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with chainreactions

Options
  • 26-04-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

bought a be-one storm 3.0, some shoes and peddles. The bike arrived last wednesday and after assembly i noticed that the lefthand side gear lever was missing( so was able to change front gears , down but not up).emailed chainreactions re this and still awaiting reply.has anyone ever had similar problems and how where they reserved.not really on for them trying to skank me into paying shipping to get it fixed etc.also i ordered wrong shoes(mtb) instead of road and was hoping to exchange them..any others have traded

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭FOLDnoSHOW

posted duplicates by accident..sry. mods plz delete others.ty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I've been ringing +44 (0)28 9335 2976 for the last week and a half
    also, I've sent a few emails
    no answer whatsoever
    I’ll be buying a GT bike off them if they answer the phone or answer an email
    Simply, I won’t buy something of someone that cannot be contacted
    pity because the deal is good (if they still exist)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

do u relaise that the brake lever is the Up shift gear lever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

afaik sora have a little button/knob that you shift down with??? not too sure as i dont deal with many racers and dont have one:o:(

re contacting chainreaction, email is a waste of effort.

i called them friday lunch time, hit redial about 10 times but got through and my problem was sorted in 2 minutes, no hassle so big thumbs up, especially considering they are the biggest online supplier in europe:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

FOLDnoSHOW wrote: »
    bought a be-one storm 3.0, some shoes and peddles. The bike arrived last wednesday and after assembly i noticed that the lefthand side gear lever was missing( so was able to change front gears , down but not up).emailed chainreactions re this and still awaiting reply.has anyone ever had similar problems and how where they reserved.not really on for them trying to skank me into paying shipping to get it fixed etc.also i ordered wrong shoes(mtb) instead of road and was hoping to exchange them..any others have traded

If its the one with the Tiagra Levers on It, there seems to be a fault in the left hand lever as we have had 9 out of the last 12 bikes with Tiagra on them stop working, the chain shifts onto the big ring and wont come off it, It has happened on different brands, on the new 2008 bikes come with a warning on them about set up but it has not made much difference, If it is the same problem as ours the levers will have to be changed, as when problems like this happen it always better to support your local bike shop where it will be fixed with no hassle.

• Advertisement

liamtinney wrote: »
    If its the one with the Tiagra Levers on It, there seems to be a fault in the left hand lever as we have had 9 out of the last 12 bikes with Tiagra on them stop working, the chain shifts onto the big ring and wont come off it, It has happened on different brands, on the new 2008 bikes come with a warning on them about set up but it has not made much difference, If it is the same problem as ours the levers will have to be changed, as when problems like this happen it always better to support your local bike shop where it will be fixed with no hassle.

surely thats either your front mech and/or incorrect set up??? shimano would have put out a notice about these if 75%:eek: were faulty, since we are registered with shimano on technical updates id have seen this.....but they aint said anything:confused:
    very bad on shimanos part if its the story...im going to hunt for a tiagra shifter during the week and pull it apart:D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Bought a hydraulic disk brake off them about 2 or 3 years ago and when it came it wasn't bled properly. Phone call, sent it back, phone call 2 or 3 days later to check and was told it'd be sent back in a day. Not a bother. iirc, i managed to sneak it out with company packages so didn't have to pay for shipping ;)

Were great to deal with back then, but i gather their operations have expanded a lot in recent years, which may have led to a drop in response times to problems/e-mails.

kona wrote: »
    surely thats either your front mech and/or incorrect set up??? shimano would have put out a notice about these if 75%:eek: were faulty, since we are registered with shimano on technical updates id have seen this.....but they aint said anything:confused:
    very bad on shimanos part if its the story...im going to hunt for a tiagra shifter during the week and pull it apart:D

Hi Kona Its not incorrect set up as we are setting up racing bikes for the last 32 years, we had the last Tiagra lever break on the workstand the first time we tried it out of the box.

Hi Kona Its not incorrect set up as we are setting up racing bikes for the last 32 years, we had the last Tiagra lever break on the workstand the first time we tried it out of the box.

:confused: very very strange, sure if 3 out of every 4 bikes needed a new shifter youd be out of business quite sharp, have you been onto madison/shimano about it???
    id love to hear what they have to say?? generally speaking shimano gear is quite strong, and shouldnt be broken easily as this, are the levers just wrecked coming out of the box?? are they all on te same model bike?
    perhaps you got a batch that were stored arseways during transport:confused:

:confused: very very strange, sure if 3 out of every 4 bikes needed a new shifter youd be out of business quite sharp, have you been onto madison/shimano about it???
    id love to hear what they have to say?? generally speaking shimano gear is quite strong, and shouldnt be broken easily as this, are the levers just wrecked coming out of the box?? are they all on te same model bike?
    perhaps you got a batch that were stored arseways during transport:confused:

No the boxes are fine, It mostly happened on Ridley, 1 Giant, and 1 Trek, Shimano had said that its not a problem but the new Giants have come with a setup warning on the left hand lever, so If it is not a problem why the warning?????.

• Advertisement

No the boxes are fine, It mostly happened on Ridley, 1 Giant, and 1 Trek, Shimano had said that its not a problem but the new Giants have come with a setup warning on the left hand lever, so If it is not a problem why the warning?????.

very very starange??so shimano know there is a issue?
    what does the warning say?? does it happen with the different combos like tiagra/105 or tiagra/tiagra???

is it that the lever isnt releasing cable when you press the lever??

very very starange??so shimano know there is a issue?
    what does the warning say?? does it happen with the different combos like tiagra/105 or tiagra/tiagra???

is it that the lever isnt releasing cable when you press the lever??

Its to do with Tiagra, but it would also apply to 105 as both are double/ triple compatible, yes the lever isn't releasing the cable it jams solid when you try to shift down to the small ring on a double, I just cant remember what the warning said as I read it about a few weeks ago, but it was to do with the set up difference between the double & triple chainrings. The warning is also on the technical disc you get from shimano. I haven't took a lever apart to see what is broke, as they are no more than a few hours old, and I would get hassle over warranty, when it happens again I will strip it down and see what going wrong. I actually started to think it was me or my mechanic was at fault until I started to get Phone calls from other bike shops asking how to fix there broken Levers.

Its to do with Tiagra, but it would also apply to 105 as both are double/ triple compatible, yes the lever isn't releasing the cable it jams solid when you try to shift down to the small ring on a double, I just cant remember what the warning said as I read it about a few weeks ago, but it was to do with the set up difference between the double & triple chainrings. The warning is also on the technical disc you get from shimano. I haven't took a lever apart to see what is broke, as they are no more than a few hours old, and I would get hassle over warranty, when it happens again I will strip it down and see what going wrong. I actually started to think it was me or my mechanic was at fault until I started to get Phone calls from other bike shops asking how to fix there broken Levers.

cant wait to run into this problem:D

cheers for the heads up.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭FOLDnoSHOW

I think there is a misunderstanding.the left hand side thumb gear change switch is missing completely.my friend ordered the exact same bike at the same time, and after comparing my bike with his, there is def a piece missing.this is kinda bogus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

all this talk of the left side is worrying for me!1i have a new trek 1.5 with tiagra shifters and i have had the left side one stick and need extreme force to make it shift down a few times!? Is that sounding like this problem also? It has happened about 4 times in the past 2 months

Advertisement