Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Valley Swords

Options
  • 26-04-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

Hello, I'm about to move to River Valley, Swords - what kind of area is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's a great area with a brilliant sense of community. We have the usual problems with noisy teenagers and the like from time to time but all in all it's a really nice place to live.
    The pub does great food and the restaurant above it is famed for its steaks.
    Swords in general has an awful lot to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

thanks for the reply - i was going to buy a place in balbriggan but it looks pretty bleak - the place i'm getting is in the cherry ave/forest fields area. it looks a bit dull but hopefully dull is quiet. Hopefully there won't be any nasty surprises waiting for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I used to rent in Cherry Ave for a bit. It was a quiet enough area. I never bothered anyone and vice versa. Head into Swords itself for food/drinks/entertainment. Good hub place to live to get easily to airport, town and places of interest. I've knowledge of the BB too. Its big, and upcoming, but still lacking the je ne cest quoi imo.

Bb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I think she means Balbriggan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

born2bwild wrote: »
    thanks for the reply - i was going to buy a place in balbriggan but it looks pretty bleak - the place i'm getting is in the cherry ave/forest fields area. it looks a bit dull but hopefully dull is quiet. Hopefully there won't be any nasty surprises waiting for me
    Why not rent there for the year and find out?

Although I don't have a crystal ball the general concensious is house prices will be going in your favour.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i live on cherry avenue myself, nice enough, never have hassle in all the years iv lived here. nice green areas nearby if you have any young ones :)

close enough to shops, a new gym and the bus routes :) best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

i was going to buy a place in balbriggan but it looks pretty bleak

What a nice Euphemism. I'm normally much more bitter about the 'bleakness' of balbriggan myself. :rolleyes: :D

yeah I was going to use more appropriate language for Balbriggan but I didn't want the thread to turn into another Balbriggan 'hatefest'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hello, I'm about to move to River Valley, Swords - what kind of area is it?

It has Fat Tony's takeaway, what more do you want :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sizzler wrote: »

Ooh Yeah :) and the Chinese takeaway next door is really good too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭birdie08

well i lived there for over 15 years but its changed big time now... more congested but still the old time residents around..but hey tonys chipper beside millenium pub? if thats still there.. oh and the gates/prison as i called it, loreto convent..ah good days were there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Can't beat tonys chipper, what a place, mecca for fast food lovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

Yea swords is a great area - I live in ridgewood myself (beside rivervally). Great community and very safe too. I have set up a site about swords area but dont think im allowed to post it in these messages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

swordsinfo wrote: »
    Yea swords is a great area - I live in ridgewood myself (beside rivervally). Great community and very safe too. I have set up a site about swords area but dont think im allowed to post it in these messages :(

Stick it in your profile.

Cheers dude

Can anyone recommed a good sport in swords for something to eat - I always venture out to malahide would like to sample something a little closer to home!

indie spice in main street is always good... pink elephant thai aint too bad either :) or peacocks steak house in rivervalley (where the millenium was)

what type of food do they have - have been in the spot beside millenium not bad if you in having a few pints but not a sport to bring herself on a friday night :pac:

swordsinfo wrote: »
    what type of food do they have - have been in the spot beside millenium not bad if you in having a few pints but not a sport to bring herself on a friday night :pac:

the millenium use to remind me of a giant coffin..no windows, dark and gloomy...not a place id spend even a monday nite in but its prob changed now, its been so long since iv even drove up aroun there. tell me does anyone remember goin to the JACKO!!

OH YE what about the " GREEN" in rivervalley off the drive...D COOL SPOT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The jacko battles, Rivervalley versus Glassmore :D

• Advertisement

The jacko battles, Rivervalley versus Glassmore :D

ah its mad, like how did the jacko even get its name?? oh remember when it would snow or was icey and you would make ur own snow boards... most likely ended up in a tree!! here is one for ye..do you remember friday nites down the hollow??

birdie08 wrote: »
    ah its mad, like how did the jacko even get its name?? oh remember when it would snow or was icey and you would make ur own snow boards... most likely ended up in a tree!! here is one for ye..do you remember friday nites down the hollow??
    aye, a little too well... the spot...the spot behind the spot....the spot behind the spot behind the spot.... the sharkes tooth...etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Banana_montana

I loved the spot... and all the other spots!
    Friday nights down the spot more like! Then the PO-LICE would come.
    And fights with knackers across the river.

Where DID the Jacko get it's name? Im really curious now.
    I wish there was a website with answers to all the crazy swords questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

birdie08 wrote: »

a girl was killed doing exactly that a few years ago. I'd love to know how the jacko got it's name as well, and as for the hollow, never did it on a friday night, but often stopped off for a crafty cig on the way home from school. Here's one for the old-times, does anyone else remember Foleys Shop in River Valley?

tbh wrote: »
    a girl was killed doing exactly that a few years ago. I'd love to know how the jacko got it's name as well, and as for the hollow, never did it on a friday night, but often stopped off for a crafty cig on the way home from school. Here's one for the old-times, does anyone else remember Foleys Shop in River Valley?
    yup, was there with her and a few friends the night it happened :( horrid accident

R.I.P.

I remember that... couple of days after Xmas or something? Really ****.
    The tree still has lots of nice stuff on it for her tho... years later like.
    I think that's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think that's nice.

yeah me too - still brings a lump to the throat even tho I never knew her. Just shows how much she was loved.

edit: new years eve, 2000
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/1094989.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I loved the spot... and all the other spots!
    Friday nights down the spot more like! Then the PO-LICE would come.
    And fights with knackers across the river.

Where DID the Jacko get it's name? Im really curious now.
    I wish there was a website with answers to all the crazy swords questions.

I asked my mother about The Jacko and she doesn't know where the name comes from and she's lived in Swords/Malahide for a good 60 years! May have to ask the Gran-Aunt.

I've heard some weird stories about that place... like tunnels underground and stuff.
    It's such a crazy place :)

And deffo ask the gran aunt.:D

• Advertisement

I think that's nice.
    30th december 2000, hard to believe was near 8 years now.

Advertisement