Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Valley Swords

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭birdie08

tbh wrote: »
    a girl was killed doing exactly that a few years ago. I'd love to know how the jacko got it's name as well, and as for the hollow, never did it on a friday night, but often stopped off for a crafty cig on the way home from school. Here's one for the old-times, does anyone else remember Foleys Shop in River Valley?

I know that was tragic...how terrible. TBH i went down unknown to my folks, they were against it, i can understand now why. Ah Foley shop..i lived just round the corner from it...i remember all the jellies!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I've heard some weird stories about that place... like tunnels underground and stuff.
    It's such a crazy place :)

And deffo ask the gran aunt.:D

Would that be the Tunnel from a Dungeon in the castle to the jacko ?

I spent most of my youth in the jacko, it was a great place then, anyone remember the 7 trees?

I took a stroll up there recently and its changed a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Banana_montana

The Muppet wrote: »
    Would that be the Tunnel from a Dungeon in the castle to the jacko ?

I spent most of my youth in the jacko, it was a great place then, anyone remember the 7 trees?

I took a stroll up there recently and its changed a lot.

I don't know the 7 trees. I'm only 21 so I guess I don't know a lot of it's past. Would love to know some of the old hang out places and stories tho.

And I've no idea about the tunnels... just that there were some going from the round tower perhaps? or the little well across from the lord mayors carpark up through the entire jacko up as far as the old mill.
    No idea how true it is tho haha. I like to believe these things seeing as they are so interesting... but it's prob a load of lies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭birdie08

splinter wrote: »
    aye, a little too well... the spot...the spot behind the spot....the spot behind the spot behind the spot.... the sharkes tooth...etc...
    All those hiding places..what about the cornfield? beside highfields

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

birdie08 wrote: »
    All those hiding places..what about the cornfield? beside highfields

Jesus i had forgotton about that place. It wouldn't seem right now without the houses there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Here's one for the old-times, does anyone else remember Foleys Shop in River Valley?
    You mean Foleys graveyard :D

What bout the first video shop in the S.C where the 2 lads running it would keep a note of their rentals on a clipboard :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I forgot to ask the gran aunt. d'oh sorry! Will ask her tonight. I think there are, were tunnels near the castle. Will ask about that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 tubes

Sizzler wrote: »
    You mean Foleys graveyard :D

What bout the first video shop in the S.C where the 2 lads running it would keep a note of their rentals on a clipboard :eek:

I remember the first video shop in RV was in Foleys shop!! When the shop closed down, it was a video shop for a while, didn't last long though!!! That was back in the day when some people (very few!!!) had betamax video players, if any video player at all!!!

Anyone remember the 'crossbownes' gang!!! They were the hard men from RV at the time!!!!

Memories:
    The cornfield - now highfields - used to be able to get into it from the lane on RV drive and take a shortcut to Swords village.
    Crillies field - now another estate, don't know the name
    The quarry
    The old mill - is it still there? Is this it, with the quarry to the left....
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=&daddr=53.458045,-6.252079&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=53.457866,-6.251435&sspn=0.002006,0.011458&ie=UTF8&ll=53.458364,-6.252079&spn=0.004012,0.022917&t=h&z=16

The cliff
    Skateboarding down Forest Fields Road cos it was the only road with tarmac

Dont forget the old prefab church !

I also remember when Fat Tony's opened and a "single" was 55p :eek: A snack box was £1.80!

Still cant work out why the f**k they are called singles :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 tubes

I remember the school was too full of kids, so we ended up going to school from 12.00 to 3.00 everyday! And others from 9 to 12.00!!!!! there wasn't enough room for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not from Swords but it was the same in my school:)
    Do you remember the ESB strike too?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Dont forget the old prefab church !

I also remember when Fat Tony's opened and a "single" was 55p :eek: A snack box was £1.80!

Still cant work out why the f**k they are called singles :confused:
    and Benny when he worked there! ya cant forget benny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

splinter wrote: »
    and Benny when he worked there! ya cant forget benny :D

didn't benny open the chipper in Swords Manor? I think that was him anyway, Tony and Benny were brothers, right? It's all coming flooding back now :)

didn't benny open the chipper in Swords Manor? I think that was him anyway, Tony and Benny were brothers, right? It's all coming flooding back now :)

Common misconception I think, dont think Benny was Fat Tonys brother, he think he just worked for him! Benny had too many battered sausos and took ill, his mrs. still works there tho!

Common misconception I think, dont think Benny was Fat Tonys brother, he think he just worked for him! Benny had too many battered sausos and took ill, his mrs. still works there tho!
    i heard he went back to italy home sick? ahh i duno. those were the days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Benny and Dorothy split up years ago - I heard Benny worked in the chipper in the Manor at one stage. I think he's probably retired now, he had a heart condition.

nice one, thanks all.

Benny and Dorothy split up years ago - I heard Benny worked in the chipper in the Manor at one stage. I think he's probably retired now, he had a heart condition.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Teenagers are terrible in this area of river valley and swords manor. Me and some friends went there for a house party last week and the teenagers , girls and guys were throwing stone at cars passing by. Also in swords manor besides the pub, lots of illegal activities going on with them. But what to expect, the parents are encouraging them....

where abouts did this stone throwing happen? i was out driving most of friday and saturday in the swords manor and rivervalley areas and saw no hassle. (apart from main street at closing time but thats a given)

• Advertisement

It was in swords manor besides the pub. Apparently the teenagers are behind the pub and sometimes on the roof of it. We were at a house party there and we were heading there around 10pm when we heard a big noise on the roof of the car and saw a can of beer full of piss in it. Also they do that on the road as well, they hide in the bushes nearby and throw stuff out on the road and then ran away. That park leads to river valley as well and some of the teenagers in river valley does the same as well. My friend lives there and often find eggs being thrown on his car or house window.
    Also that park is very dangerous. One of the guy whom i work with was being beaten and got his wallet and phone stolen while he was having his usual walk. Even the girls are at it and they doesn't have respect for others at all. As i said they are being encourage by their parents. Can you tell me what these children are doing on the road at 10 or 11pm on the road. They should get a life instead of hanging around pubs, shops, parks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Teenagers are terrible in this area of river valley and swords manor. Me and some friends went there for a house party last week and the teenagers , girls and guys were throwing stone at cars passing by. Also in swords manor besides the pub, lots of illegal activities going on with them. But what to expect, the parents are encouraging them....

Can I just point out that Rivervalley and Swords Manor are separate areas divided by the valley?
    Not that one is better than the other, but one incident in either estate shouldn't tar both with the one brush.
    I do agree however that the kids who do this sort of stuff aren't being parented properly, and I'm not sure what can be done about that.
    Nobody should walk alone in the Valley, it's never been safe because it's so secluded. I'm sorry you and your friends are experiencing these things, rest assured though that the vast majority of people in these areas are decent, friendly people with good community spirit.

I am not talking about a particular estate but am talking about both of them. River valley and swords manor. I agree that people there are decent but definetely not the teenagers or kids. I've seen a little girl about 4 years old writting the word "dick" on the wall one day and once she saw me , she ran away. It's terrible and the families are responsible for that. There's no point for parents to make lots of babies and while growing up they can't control them. If you are around swords manor you will see them all hanging around the spar, besides the pub, smoking/drugs, drink etc. May be something else like sex, they are up to anything. They watched ur steps , your move and everything you do as if its their business. And if you contact the police, then the parents will be against you. At lleast there should be police patrol quite regularly in these areas. For me children can't be on the road at 10pm/11pm hanging around pubs/roads.

funnily enough I was just remarking to some friends that we have regular patrols from guards on foot. I live right by Swords Manor pub and the worst i've seen is kids playing football in the square there. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's far from my experience.

Wait until you get a can of piss on top of you car and you'll see if they are kids or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 carolinearc

I agree with scorpio. I did get eggs throwing at my car two times. I lives in swords manor. The teenagers besides the pubs and spar are terrible. I've seen many taking alcohol there and drugs. Also that park is very dangerous to go. Its full of illegal activities there, you can get rob, killed etc. I knw friends who was robbed there and beaten up. For me the i blame the parents, they should take their responsibility. How come children can hang out around late at night besides that pub. They are very bad mannered children and if i got a can of piss on my car, i will definetely go and break their arm. I dnt care if i have to go to the police. Get a life...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I do agree with you carolinearc that parents should take their responsibility. But they are not... they love freedom. As you said they should get a life, if they doesn't knw what to do during spare time, get a part time job..:D instead of hanging around shops. At least they should get their ass moving a bit.:pac:

I do agree with you carolinearc that parents should take their responsibility. But they are not... they love freedom. As you said they should get a life, if they doesn't knw what to do during spare time, get a part time job..:D instead of hanging around shops. At least they should get their ass moving a bit.:pac:

I am a friend of carolinearc and she permits me to use her username to give my opinion. For those who thinks she reply to her comments above.:) Nicola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

I agree that people there are decent but definetely not the teenagers or kids. .

Have to say this comment is a bit unfair. I have four kids, I am totally responsible as to keeping an eye on their behaviour. They would not be up to the activities as described in other posts. I know they are not perfect, no child/teenager/adult is but to tar them all with the one brush is a bit unfair.

I know a lot of decent kids in Rivervalley area and I know there are many scumbags out there too. I don't allow my kids to go to the shops on their own because of the scumbags hanging around there.

I do think if you go to any area in the country you will find your share of little vandals, graffiti artists and muppets in fast cars. Not just Rivervalley and Swords Manor.

• Advertisement

I pick up River valley and swords manor because that's where me and my friends had the problem. I dnt care about other parts of ireland. Also am glad that you dnt allow your children to hang around those scumbags. A decent parent will do their best for their children and showed them good manners. Also may be you are not aware that eggs has been thrown on cars and some houses in River Valley and Swords manor. And have you been in that park? Lots of things happenned there and also you will probably notice lots of teenagers around the shops. But i decided that the next time i got a can of piss on my car, eggs or whatever, i will take a picture of them, bring it to the police and put a case against them.

Advertisement