Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Valley Swords

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I pick up River valley and swords manor because that's where me and my friends had the problem. I dnt care about other parts of ireland. Also am glad that you dnt allow your children to hang around those scumbags. A decent parent will do their best for their children and showed them good manners. Also may be you are not aware that eggs has been thrown on cars and some houses in River Valley and Swords manor. And have you been in that park? Lots of things happenned there and also you will probably notice lots of teenagers around the shops. But i decided that the next time i got a can of piss on my car, eggs or whatever, i will take a picture of them, bring it to the police and put a case against them.
    parks are always dangerous and many know this is true for the valley. example being the young girl attacked there about 3-4 weeks ago on the bank holiday.

but they are isolated events. would i walk through there? nope, not even during the day. I don't have kids of my own but i'm only 24 so I grew up in rivervalley/swords and it hasnt changed all that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

To answer the question, have I ever been in the park? Only about 3/4 times a week. Have you ever seen the park on a Saturday morning or a summer evening? Full of kids playing football or gaa. What a sight. It is great to see.
    Having said that I have the sense not to go there at night. I am not stupid!!! I would not go to any park, in any part of Ireland in the dark.

I have lived in Rivervalley for 20 years, I have never had an egg thrown at my house or my car. I am sure there are people out there who have. I would not like to be them but it happens everywhere. Don't let an incident with these scumbags colour vision and be prepared to see the bigger picture. There are decent kids, teenagers, adults everywhere. Give us a break, will ya?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

But i decided that the next time i got a can of piss on my car, eggs or whatever, i will take a picture of them, bring it to the police and put a case against them.

That's exactly what you should do - deal with any incident that involves you by reporting it to the Gardai. Claiming that all teenagers in an area are bad is not going to go down well with local people.

And from what I hear, there are a lot of 'drinking parties' held down in the Valley by adults who are definitely not from the area but are temporarily living there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

born2bwild wrote: »
    thanks for the reply - i was going to buy a place in balbriggan but it looks pretty bleak - the place i'm getting is in the cherry ave/forest fields area. it looks a bit dull but hopefully dull is quiet. Hopefully there won't be any nasty surprises waiting for me

You're right. I lived there and have a few friends out there. I hated it. moved back in to my parents because I hated it that much.No good nightlife or...... weel no good anything in balbriggan. River valley is nice. If you get bored you can always head into Swords village or down to Santry. plus not that far from town if you're really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Lady_North wrote: »
    To answer the question, have I ever been in the park? Only about 3/4 times a week. Have you ever seen the park on a Saturday morning or a summer evening? Full of kids playing football or gaa. What a sight. It is great to see.
    Having said that I have the sense not to go there at night. I am not stupid!!! I would not go to any park, in any part of Ireland in the dark.

I have lived in Rivervalley for 20 years, I have never had an egg thrown at my house or my car. I am sure there are people out there who have. I would not like to be them but it happens everywhere. Don't let an incident with these scumbags colour vision and be prepared to see the bigger picture. There are decent kids, teenagers, adults everywhere. Give us a break, will ya?

You are talking because you have not experience anything bad. Of course you will see all the good sight and not the bad sight. I dnt care what kids do, play gaa or whatever. It doesn't interest me to look at them anyway but the point am making is how come they hang around the pubs, shops, parks at 10pm, 11pm and sometimes during the day with cans of beers, cigarettes etc. Of course you didn't see that, you only seevthem playing gaa, what a good sight isn't it?
    Am sure if somebody throw a can of piss on your car or attacked you, robbed you, beat you up and left you there half dead then you will realise what point i am making because that what happenned to my friend. When i say teenagers, am talking about the one's who hang around pubs, shops, parks etc. may be you are not aware how rude they are, but they actually are rude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 carolinearc

Lady_North wrote: »

How can we give you a break when these tennagers are ruining people's life. We have to make post like that to make people aware how some of these teenagers are dangerous for the society. And don't worry i've already contact the garda about these problems in case you wanted to know...:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 carolinearc

:rolleyes:JESUS WHAT A WORLD:eek:
    :pac:WE ARE LIVING:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You are talking because you have not experience anything bad. Of course you will see all the good sight and not the bad sight. I dnt care what kids do, play gaa or whatever. It doesn't interest me to look at them anyway but the point am making is how come they hang around the pubs, shops, parks at 10pm, 11pm and sometimes during the day with cans of beers, cigarettes etc. Of course you didn't see that, you only seevthem playing gaa, what a good sight isn't it?
    Am sure if somebody throw a can of piss on your car or attacked you, robbed you, beat you up and left you there half dead then you will realise what point i am making because that what happenned to my friend. When i say teenagers, am talking about the one's who hang around pubs, shops, parks etc. may be you are not aware how rude they are, but they actually are rude.

There's a few bad apples who live in River Valley. Relative to many other areas across the city though it's grand and it's safe. I'm 24, been here all my life and bar one moment of drunken idiocy 3 years back i've never felt especially under threat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There has always been young ones hanging around the back of Spar in Swords Manor, ever since it's been built over 12 years ago. They are there because no-one moves them on! People don't want to get involved.

You're making out Swords to be a dangerous place. It's not in the slightest. Yes, I'm sure kids do go around and egg cars and houses. I'm sure that happens in other parts of Dublin and around the country. My friend got egged during the day in Rathgar. It happens.

As for going down the Jacko. You are just asking for trouble going through that park at night, like any other park. Seriously. Even during the day, I tend to be a bit uneasy walking through. Better safe in twos...

I do agree that Swords is a nice place to live. But i can't shut my mouth if somebody throw a can of piss on my car, my friend got beaten up and robbed in the park and having egg thrown at houses. Actually it was not night time that my friend got attacked, it was around 3.30pm. We did went to the garda station who said they will patrol the area quite often. Concerning swords manor thats where i got a can on piss on my car, it was some of these children who was besides the pub. Dnt tell me they were playing gaa, it's a good sight to see them, may be some of them. People are just staying quiet because they doesn't want to get involved with local people. I have to make people aware about the problems and its not only me who have this problem by the way. I do agree that some children in these areas are nice and respectable but not every one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Unfortunately rambling on and on about the problems on here is not achieving anything.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Unfortunately rambling on and on about the problems on here is not achieving anything.

Yes, did you scorpioishere report the throwing of the piss in the can? Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Like my friend who got egged during the day along a busy street in Rathgar.

On another topic that was asked in this thread earlier.... I went and asked the Gran Aunt today why is the Jacko called the Jacko... well she doesn't know. The only thing Jacko she remembers is a Jacko Howard who used to own a shop on North Street (it used to be beside Fingal Community College). So unless Jacko Howard used to go swimming, yes I was informed today that people used to go swimming in the river, one area for boys and one area for girls... and maybe ended up calling it the Jacko????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Larianne wrote: »
    On another topic that was asked in this thread earlier.... I went and asked the Gran Aunt today why is the Jacko called the Jacko... well she doesn't know. The only thing Jacko she remembers is a Jacko Howard who used to own a shop on North Street (it used to be beside Fingal Community College). So unless Jacko Howard used to go swimming, yes I was informed today that people used to go swimming in the river, one area for boys and one area for girls... and maybe ended up calling it the Jacko????

was that mary howards husband? beside north street school? and i went swimming in the jacko, it wasn't that long ago either :) well, 25 years, HOLY CRAP!

tbh wrote: »
    was that mary howards husband? beside north street school? and i went swimming in the jacko, it wasn't that long ago either :) well, 25 years, HOLY CRAP!

Emm, I'm not sure. I think it was Mary Graham that ran that shop. The little woman. My G. Aunt just mentioned Jacko Howard and a Mary (maybe Howard, although my mother just said it was Mary Graham that ran the shop). I'm not saying that's why it's called the Jacko but it's the only thing related she could think of. I may have to locate some more 'old' Swords people and try and find an answer. Fecking annoying me now!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you are right - Mary Graham it was.

Yes, did you scorpioishere report the throwing of the piss in the can? Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Like my friend who got egged during the day along a busy street in Rathgar.

Of course i did report it to the police. I dnt care if they are sweet little children or teenagers. The police said they will patrol the area quite often. Also we did report the attacked of my friend as well and thanks to a french guy who was passing by on a bicycle and help my friend and phone the police. As i said i blame the parents because they should teach their children some manners at least. Also they can be sweet, "good sight to see" at your eyes but behind your back....... you dnt knw whats going on but only see the sweetness...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Has this thread gone a little bit off topic, Swords Manor all the way to the standard of parenting :eek:

Sizzler wrote: »
    Has this thread gone a little bit off topic, Swords Manor all the way to the standard of parenting :eek:

NOT REALLY
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The OP has asked what kind of area it is and the majority of the posts have been fine. Perhaps a little less of the reminiscing and bit more on the current state of the area would be more helpful.

Oh and there is no need for large, coloured fonts.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D:D:DDo you mind???:D:D:D:D:D:D

I do mind actually. I consider that trolling so you can consider yourself warned.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    The OP has asked what kind of area it is and the majority of the posts have been fine. Perhaps a little less of the reminiscing and bit more on the current state of the area would be more helpful.

Oh and there is no need for large, coloured fonts.

Sorry about that! Just some asked the question and I was trying to find out the answer as it's annoying and well its a bit of history about the area. But point taken, sorry Peachypants. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

:D:D:D:D:D:D:DDo you mind???:D:D:D:D:D:D

FFS. What age are you? Is this your first time on the net?

Sizzler wrote: »
    FFS. What age are you? Is this your first time on the net?

The user has received a warning. Best to just get on with the thread tbh.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    The user has received a warning. Best to just get on with the thread tbh.
    oh i'm afraid chinafoot, i've got a warning.....:pac:

scorpioisbanned.

No more off-topic crap guys.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

so Op, did you decide where to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

yeah I bought the house. grand but not ideal as there's a fella who breeds dogs living nearby whose dogs bark and howl all the time! head wrecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 donagh_1

Hi,
    I just came accross this thread. I spent my youth in the Jacko in the 70's and 80's. And I still walk my dog through it every day.

This is what I believe and what I was told to be where it got its name....

Legend has it that Jack O' Lantern wanders The Jacko at night.
    He is a lost soul who tried to trick the devil in a game and the devil took his life but his ghost wanders the jacko at night with a lantern.

Legend also says that if you are in the Jacko at night and you see Jack O' Lantern and he looks in your eyes you will also die.

So you've been warned!
    Going into the the Jacko at night is total Lunacy and its not just the dead I would be afraid of.

But during the day the Jacko is a completely safe beautiful wonderful park always was and still is.

You can read about Jack o' Lantern here on wikipedia. It doesn't mention
    Swords but it just says an Irish Village.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_carving#Folklore

I like this story. And think that it must be the real reason why The Jacko got its name.

Donagh

Advertisement