Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Valley Swords

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tbh wrote: »
    you are right - Mary Graham it was.

There was more than one shop on North street, Donoghues ,Heaveys, Westons and Howards also had shops there. I think the name the Jacko predated all these shops, The explanation in the post above is as likely as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

donagh_1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just came accross this thread. I spent my youth in the Jacko in the 70's and 80's. And I still walk my dog through it every day.

This is what I believe and what I was told to be where it got its name....

Legend has it that Jack O' Lantern wanders The Jacko at night.
    He is a lost soul who tried to trick the devil in a game and the devil took his life but his ghost wanders the jacko at night with a lantern.

Legend also says that if you are in the Jacko at night and you see Jack O' Lantern and he looks in your eyes you will also die.

So you've been warned!
    Going into the the Jacko at night is total Lunacy and its not just the dead I would be afraid of.

But during the day the Jacko is a completely safe beautiful wonderful park always was and still is.

You can read about Jack o' Lantern here on wikipedia. It doesn't mention
    Swords but it just says an Irish Village.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_carving#Folklore

I like this story. And think that it must be the real reason why The Jacko got its name.

Donagh

I walked down there about 10 at night - major mistake - honestly it has to be the most scared I have ever been. There was a stage when you cant see a single thing not to mention jumping at the wind blowing through the leaves. Never again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dayzer

Originally Posted by donagh_1
    Hi,
    I just came accross this thread. I spent my youth in the Jacko in the 70's and 80's. And I still walk my dog through it every day.

This is what I believe and what I was told to be where it got its name....

Legend has it that Jack O' Lantern wanders The Jacko at night.
    He is a lost soul who tried to trick the devil in a game and the devil took his life but his ghost wanders the jacko at night with a lantern.

Legend also says that if you are in the Jacko at night and you see Jack O' Lantern and he looks in your eyes you will also die.

So you've been warned!
    Going into the the Jacko at night is total Lunacy and its not just the dead I would be afraid of.

But during the day the Jacko is a completely safe beautiful wonderful park always was and still is.

You can read about Jack o' Lantern here on wikipedia. It doesn't mention
    Swords but it just says an Irish Village.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_carving#Folklore

I like this story. And think that it must be the real reason why The Jacko got its name.

Donagh

Sorry 2 burst your bubble but im down there most nights of the week and the only lantern i've seen is the gardas torches or squad car lights!!

>>**CRASH FM 107.1 ALL OVER DUBLIN**<<

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

born2bwild wrote: »
    Hello, I'm about to move to River Valley, Swords - what kind of area is it?

Since you've already bought and moved in, my opinion would be irrelevant. (Also I might get banned again for doing so...)

How about giving us yours now that you've settled in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 THEBOBCHAP

move to rivervalley i live there good place but get to know the area because it does have its bad moments...has the usual drinking,and is quite loud if you live near the main road on weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I've been there a year now. It's grand. Negative equity notwithstanding. Big problem for me now is kids knick knacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

born2bwild wrote: »
    I've been there a year now. It's grand. Negative equity notwithstanding. Big problem for me now is kids knick knacking.

Ah have the same meself from time to time. Rewind 15 years and it was me doing it in the same area. Knick knacks preferable to vandalism.

Advertisement