Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I ask for speed bumps to be installed ?

Options
  • 26-04-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I really don't like speed bumps, however on my road recently we've had a lot of little scumbags in their "pimped up" corsas & Japanese imports shooting up the road at anything between 40 - 70 mph.

Tonight at about 8.30, we had a guy shoot up the road, perform a handbreak turn at the T-Junction at the top & shoot back down it down it. I heard him before I saw him thanks to his modified exhaust.

Unfortunately, the angle I saw him from & the speed he was going prevented me from getting his number (although I believe they have to be caught in the act before anything can be done).

With the days getting longer there will be more kids out playing on the streets & I'm now really concerned, so as much as I hate speed bumps, I'd rather have one of them than a dead child.

What's the procedure for getting them ? Do I get a petition from the residents or approach my TD ? How long does the process take ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Is there a neighbourhood watch operating in your estate? They normally canvas for those kind of things to the local council. Its pretty useless going on your own. Do a bit of investigating around your estate, my guess is there are others that are pee'd off about it.

Good luck with it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You need to start reporting it before you'll even be considered by the council.

You don't need the reg to report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Well I reported the guy last night, they said they had a car in the area & would keep an eye out - I do realise there are far more pressing things they need to do, but that's all I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

I think what you do is go to your local area councillors - there should be about six for your local area. They have a thing called a local area committee and they take depositions from community groups. There's also something about having a petition. As others have said its more likely listened to if you speak thru your residents association. Good luck with that, there's generally a whole lot of people who are pro car and pro truck involved and they exercise a veto over things like speed bumps which are seen as anti-car....but until there's better enforcement what else can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

iMax wrote: »
    Well I reported the guy last night, they said they had a car in the area & would keep an eye out - I do realise there are far more pressing things they need to do, but that's all I can do.

Fair enough.

If your in FCC here the first step.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/AboutRoads/Requestsfortrafficcalmingmeasuresinestates/

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Urgh... Im afraid I belong to the group who are staunchly anti speed bumps... They destroy your shocks, drop links, cv joints, drive shafts, wishbones and everything else going on under there. Urgh... I suppose I'd be classed as a car enthusiast but I have never driven like a plank and pulled handbrake turns anywhere (let alone an estate). Sounds like your man needs to be pulled from his car and slapped about the head for that carry on. I can empathize with your annoyance and frustration though. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'm with you on hating them, but necessity has to prevail here. the situation is getting worse as this part of the estate is the only one without bumps so it's the one they all use.

I contacted all my local TDs & all but one have replied, I'm happy to say Terrance Flanagan emailed back the following day & followed up with a letter & photocopy of a letter he has submitted to wood quay on my behalf. Good show from him. The others have said they will write to wood quay also.

Advertisement