Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VPN Question

• 26-04-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi guys

I am setting up a site abroad and they are going to connect back to our HQ via VPN

I have VPN setup already and tested and i can ping anything on the network in HQ

However, i want to be able to authenticate a user logging in abroad, to a domain controller in HQ

I have opened up ports in the firewall to do this, but if i try to log on as a user, i get a messages saying the domain is unavailable

Can anyone shed any light on this matter for me?

Does any one know what ports need to be opened up on my firewall for domain authenticaion?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

so, esentially, there will be a vpn router at the remote end, with PC's behind it?

2 seperate subnets etc.

the problem is that the remote PC is attempting to look up DNS SRV resource records for it's parent domain, but can't find them by querying the DNS on it's end of the VPN connection (which is probably only sending queries onto an internet DNS server).

what you can do is edit the DHCP settings on the remote VPN router to give a DNS server in the HQ subnet to the remote PC.

example:

HQ subnet: 192.168.50.0/24
    HQ DNS Server: 192.168.50.10

Remote subnet: 192.168.60.0/24
    Remote router: 192.168.60.1
    Remote DHCP Range: 192.168.60.100-200
    DHCP Scope supplied DNS server for clients: 192.168.50.10

=> a pc leases an address at the remote site in the 192.168.60.0/24 subnet, is given a default gateway address of 192.168.60.1, and a DNS server address of 192.168.50.10

...providing the remote pc can ping the dns server, and query it using nslookup, you should be good to go.

Advertisement