Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaststroke - neck pain?

• 26-04-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hello. I am trying to increase my lengths by mixing front crawl and breast stroke. Usually do a couple of lengths f/c followed by a couple b/s. Usually do 24 to 30 lengths maybe three times a weeek. However, recently I've developed a bit of a pain in my neck (just at the top of the shoulders) and its most noticeable the next day after swimming. I think, although I could be wrong, that it seems worse the more b/s lengths I do. Can the breastsroke strain the neck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It can for sure. Breaststroke is one of the only swimming strokes that can cause back neck and knee/hip problems, I know it is a good stroke for clocking up distance in a set when you're too tired for Front crawl, but beware of it, when you curve your spine back for breathing, it can cause compression in the cervical vertebrae, as well as in the Lumbar region. Be careful with this as if you overdo it, you can cause yourself a very uncomfortable few weeks. Try switching to inverted Breaststroke (breaststroke legs on your back, using the hands in a sculling motion, This will relieve most of the pressure on your neck and back. Any lifeguard should be able to give you the lowdown on the stroke if you are having difficulty with it. Also, Breaststroke when swam correctly does not have as much of an impact on the neck as your head nods down with the leg stroke, and back up with the arms to breathe, so it might be worth examining your breaststroke and getting a coach or teacher to have a look at it, It'd be a shame to have to completely change your routine because of it....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

+1 ^
    I suffered the same for a while a couple of years ago.
    I think its to do with the fact that you're swimming trying to keep you face pointing forward, as you, I and almost everyone is taught, with the head dipping down as you kick.

My Solution ended up being to swim with my face looking at the bottom of the pool (closer to f/c position - eyes forward), and only raising my mouth slightly above water level to take a breath. Hasn't bothered me since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Aggree totally with the above. By putting your head dwon as you kick and drive forward should stop that problem. And by getting into a tight streamline position each kick, it will also help your glide and increase your distance per stroke.

Advertisement