Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling and running

Options
  • 26-04-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can someone tell me if cycling and running complement each other?
    I started running a couple of years back after about 15 years of doing nothing.
    By last September I was doing 30-35 miles a week and getting under 35 mins in 5 milers. Then I got a hip flexor injury and was out of action for about 6 months.
    I bought a road bike to try and keep the fitness level and am aiming for the Sean Kelly later this year.
    I'm back running again and trying to do both. The aim is to replace long runs with a long cycle.
    Currently I do 2 6 mile training runs and a (relatively) fast cycle during the week and either 2 long cycles or a 6 mile run and a long cycle at the weekends.
    I ran a 47 min 10k last night which was exactly the same as last year. Was hard work though.
    My concern is that by not concentrating on either I won't really improve at either of them.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    x-posted to athletics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

showry wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me if cycling and running complement each other?
    I started running a couple of years back after about 15 years of doing nothing.
    By last September I was doing 30-35 miles a week and getting under 35 mins in 5 milers. Then I got a hip flexor injury and was out of action for about 6 months.
    I bought a road bike to try and keep the fitness level and am aiming for the Sean Kelly later this year.
    I'm back running again and trying to do both. The aim is to replace long runs with a long cycle.
    Currently I do 2 6 mile training runs and a (relatively) fast cycle during the week and either 2 long cycles or a 6 mile run and a long cycle at the weekends.
    I ran a 47 min 10k last night which was exactly the same as last year. Was hard work though.
    My concern is that by not concentrating on either I won't really improve at either of them.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    x-posted to athletics

Not sure if this is any help, but we sell a lot of bikes to footballers in the of season, they seem to think that cycling slows there running speed down when they start playing again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Uses different muscles in your thighs, if you cycle too much ( averaging 100's of Km per week in high gear ) you can pull the knee cap to one side which running can correct.
    Then again running is very hard on the knees and cycling at a high cadence would be better Cardiovascular workout would be the same.

Advertisement