Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

999 calls

Options
  • 26-04-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Can anyoe tell me where does the 999 call go to.where is the actual eircom 999 operator based.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

You need to be more specific about what emergency service you require and where you are located

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

We have phone numbers for two centres. I believe one is in Dublin, not sure where the second is though. Possibly Donegal 'cos eircom did have a call centre there a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Initally they go to a central exchange think it could be athlone or donegal somewhere like that.

Then when you request a certain service (and county if ringing off a mobile) you go to the regional control for that service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Not all services are yet run under regional control centers.

Regional control center in Dublin for Fire Service is run by DFB and takes fire calls for most of Leinster. The exceptions to this are Meath and Kildare who have still not transferred across for reasons that i am not sure of but can probably be linked to inter service politics at management level.

DFB control room also take 999 ambo calls for most of the Dublin area

There are also regional fire control centers in Limerick and Castlebar as far as i know but someone closer to these areas can confirm this.

I have no idea how the Gardai operate their control rooms

My understanding of the HSE ambo services is that they have not yet regionalised their control but i have no idea how they operate throughout the country

Your initial call 999 call goes to an eircom operator who routes you to the correct control

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Not sure about the cities but in my division there are 999 phones in the divisional HQ which are operated by whoever is on duty in the radio control room. You'll go through eircom first then straight through to the div hq, who pass the call details onto the relevant district.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Our 999 calls come directly to the station from the 999 operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the ambulance service have regional centres who recieve a call and assign it to the nearest unit, for example,the control in Wexford covers every ambulance in the south east and they are all mapped using gps to their location to determine the closest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

darren254 wrote: »
    Can anyoe tell me where does the 999 call go to.where is the actual eircom 999 operator based.

Dublin and Mullingar as far as i know. Your 999 call could go to either one, from there it's routed to the service that you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Here 999 calls are picked up initially by BT and then directed to the requested service. Requests for help from the police now go through to one of 3 central locations, basically command and control centres that receive and grade calls as well as despatching units to those calls. The centres that form the CCC (Central Communications Command) are located in Bow, Hendon and Lambeth. These control rooms are staffed by police officers and civilians and are overseen by a police duty inspector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

metman wrote: »
    These control rooms are staffed by police officers and civilians and are overseen by a police duty inspector.

That reminded me of an incident about 15 yrs ago. (If you know Ilford station metman) was visiting a pal who was a sgt there and he was showing me around. It was very like the old store st station (probably built around the same time/same plans). Anyway, went out to the cad room and met the duty inspector, he asked how it compared to stations in Dublin, told him it was very similar to one of the city centre stations.
    "Ah yes" he replied. "But we don't have to surround ours with barbed wire and sheets of armour".

Couldn't be bothered to educate him, so just gave him:

:rolleyes:"Yes, you're very lucky"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

The DMR has a command and control centre in Harcourt Square where your call will be entered into the system and then transferred to the screen of the right controler such as south central, etc. Alternatively the call may be sent on to the local station for a beat man to deal with and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

CLADA wrote: »
    Couldn't be bothered to educate him, so just gave him:

:rolleyes:"Yes, you're very lucky"

Yep I've also given up educating people here. If I had a penny for everytime I've had to explain that: "the Garda are unarmed....no that's the PSNI....used to be the RUC....no the Garda are unarmed....." and so forth and so on. Despite the majority of people here having Irish connections the level of ignorance as to Irish policing practices is staggering. Its just assumed that every officer in Ireland carries a gun and police stations are as you describe above.

:confused:

Advertisement