Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick confirm about xbox live

• 26-04-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick confirm (and wikipedia is being useless)

when I pay my subscription for xbox live I am paying microsoft to keep servers etc running back at their offices that ensure that no matter which game I pick or which item I choose to download it is always available to download or play. Regardless of how unpopular or old the game is, and it will be available to me at the fastest speed my internet provider (or the other players) can support.

correct?

thats one of the key differences between xbox live and PSN? That its up to the individual companies to provide server space for their downloads and game servers right?

Or has it changed.

cause the wiki entry on either isnt really making it clear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 A Duck

I not exactly sure where the money goes but I know that Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow can't be played online anymore because there weren't enough people playing it. I think it was Ubisoft who made the decision though , so I'm guessing it's the developers/publishers who take care of all that.
    EA use their own servers and have taken a lot of older titles online modes away to push newer titles, such as the fifa games.
    It's a great service though and works really well. I have no problems in paying for it being so reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmm

Oh I know xbox live is reliable, just having a talk with someone about it vs PSN, and I remember that in the ps2/xbox era, that was the explanation on why one pays for xbox live compared to the ps2 where even popular games have their servers shut down if the publishers cant support them anymore (e.g MGS 3: substance). And when the playstation network for ps3 was announced alot of people groaned when sony said the same model was applying to the ps3.

This is not an outright attack, cause I know games like warhawk, cod4 and resistance will never lose support.

never knew it happened on the xbox live side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 A Duck

Pandora Tomorrow is the only (non EA) game I know of that can't be played online anymore I must say though. I think there were almost no players playing it as Chaos Theory had the same Multiplayer so everyone played that instead. I know a lot of people on the Xbox forums are complaining about have to pay so I presume PSN must be pretty good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

I presume that MS will drop xbox original games...save maybe halo 2 soon enough. Can't see many people still playing them this far into xbox 360s lifetime.

tbh I don't have PS3 so no idea bout PSN, but i think for what you get in the live sub it's worth the money you have to pay.

I suppose MS are right to pull servers for games that aren't played all that much.

Though it does annoy me very much so when it takes Splinter cell DA and PGR4 so long to matchmake. Sort it out please MR Xbox Live Server guy

Just a question related to this - sorry if it's off on a bit of a tangent!

When playing some of the arcade games, e.g Doom and Geon:Emotions, I try to look for an X-Box live match, and can NEVER find one.

While I can understand why people might not want to play Doom when you've got the likes of COD4 available (so I might be the only one trying to find a live match!), I can't understand why I can never find a Geon match, there seem to have been a lot of people who have played it online on the leaderboards.

Any ideas???? :confused:

• Advertisement

Try changing your zone from underground in ranked matches or play player matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just a question related to this - sorry if it's off on a bit of a tangent!

When playing some of the arcade games, e.g Doom and Geon:Emotions, I try to look for an X-Box live match, and can NEVER find one.

While I can understand why people might not want to play Doom when you've got the likes of COD4 available (so I might be the only one trying to find a live match!), I can't understand why I can never find a Geon match, there seem to have been a lot of people who have played it online on the leaderboards.

Any ideas???? :confused:

Make sure your NAT is open or you will have trouble matchmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    Try changing your zone from underground in ranked matches or play player matches?

Does this mean you're matched against people in the same zone-thingy?

Depending on the game.

If the game isn't a ranked system al a Halo 3 then matchmaking will use ZONE as a filter first.

ie If your in the family zone and playing Call of Duty 4 you're more likely to be matched with others in the Family zone and so on.

After that if it can't find matches it'll check the next zone and so on.

Advertisement